The New Editor Compared to the WarCraft Editor

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Well, getting started was a hassle, but now that I've gotten fairly used to it (unit creation in the data editor was the hassle), I've actually come to love this new editor.

Here's a few reasons; if you have the editor setup correctly the editor actually displays more and allows you to edit data (including gui triggers) a lot quicker than the WarCraft editor ever allowed you. Everything is MUCH faster, there are search functions which help a lot. Dependencies are nice depending on how much data you want in your map (campaign dependencies usually have everything the game can offer).

The terrain editor is wonderful, except placing cliffs is the one thing I hate; but I can live with that. I'll keep reviewing it as I go, but the one thing everyone has to do is overcome the transition into this new editor, after that you will LOVE it.

Pros:

Much faster
Easier to edit data
GUI has been improved

Cons:

Not many; besides the fact the editor will crash every now and then. So be sure to save your data frequently.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
My Experiences:

Pros:

... Um...
It has more?

Cons:

Much slower.
Harder to edit data.
GUI has been improved
Scripting has been unimproved (word?).
Doesn't include Scripting.
Scripting is broken.
Doesn't script as well as Notepad++.
Doesn't script.
Script...

-_-'

Arkless

Reaction score
My Experiences:

Pros:

... Um...
It has more?

Cons:

Much slower.
Harder to edit data.
not really, if you know what you do you can copy your stuff and edit the right parts just as fast as in wc3 (but the stuff you can do with it in the same time is still way more complex)
GUI has been improved
oh really? thats a con?
Scripting has been unimproved (word?).
worse then wc3? dont lie to yourself, there might be things that could be better... but it's still WAY better then wc3
Doesn't include Scripting.
wth? ever opened the trigger editor?
Scripting is broken.
wth? ever opened the trigger editor? :p
Doesn't script as well as Notepad++.
well, i still don't get your point
Doesn't script.
not here either..
Script...
oh yeah! script ! i like the language, some things could be done better (like pointers) but it's a lot better then jass!

-_-'
*pokes that weird smiley*

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
@arkless:

galaxy is inferior to JASS currently, end of story

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Actually, it is much harder.

Making a hero to quick test an ability and making the ability... Is like... "Okay... Duplicate... Wait.... now everything*** is named <NAME> copy... Change all of the names -_-'... OKAY! Now... how do I make it a Hero.... BEHAVIOR!.... *Pokes around for a few days*... AHA! THIS FIELD!... Uhh... Make the ability........ Hmm... Duplicate??? FFFFFUUUUUU NAMES!!! *Pokes around for a few more days*... AHA! THIS FIELD!... Linking... Linking... Well, I want my model to be Tychus. Just for the hell of it... Dependencies.... Yeah, campaign.... OK... WTF?!?!?! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY STUFF!?!?!?!? NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

In WC3? Copy, Paste, Copy Paste, Set ID, Name, (Fields), Do Trigger.

If you can't see why GUI being improved is bad, then... I just can't help you there. Just take a look at a few JASS tutorials and their reasons for not using GUI. Yes. They are applicable.

And I say scripting is broken because you can't script in the editor.

Arkless

Reaction score
@arkless:

galaxy is inferior to JASS currently, end of story

tell me what you can't do in galaxy, that you were able to do in JASS2

Actually, it is much harder.

Making a hero to quick test an ability and making the ability... Is like... "Okay... Duplicate... Wait.... now everything*** is named <NAME> copy... Change all of the names -_-'... OKAY! Now... how do I make it a Hero.... BEHAVIOR!.... *Pokes around for a few days*... AHA! THIS FIELD!... Uhh... Make the ability........ Hmm... Duplicate??? FFFFFUUUUUU NAMES!!! *Pokes around for a few more days*... AHA! THIS FIELD!... Linking... Linking... Well, I want my model to be Tychus. Just for the hell of it... Dependencies.... Yeah, campaign.... OK... WTF?!?!?! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY STUFF!?!?!?!? NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

In WC3? Copy, Paste, Copy Paste, Set ID, Name, (Fields), Do Trigger.

If you can't see why GUI being improved is bad, then... I just can't help you there. Just take a look at a few JASS tutorials and their reasons for not using GUI. Yes. They are applicable.

And I say scripting is broken because you can't script in the editor.
well, duh, when you don't know what to do it sure takes long... and the learning curve is kinda bad... but when you got it, it's WAY better
i never had a problem with dependencies, i dont know why all the ppl cry xD you have to put the story part to the front! you have to reload the map (save, close, open) and in case it still doesnt show everything, reopen the trigger editor

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
What can't be done in Galaxy that can be done in JASS2? [ljass]GetLocalPlayer[/ljass]. I would say structs, but someone already covered that.

Arkless

Reaction score
What can't be done in Galaxy that can be done in JASS2? [ljass]GetLocalPlayer[/ljass]. I would say structs, but someone already covered that.

Asynchron solutions are always pretty bad, but tell me what you need em for? Is there anything you cant DO in galaxy that you could do in JASS2?

GetLocalPlayer is nothing you do, it's a solution for some problems I no longer have since you can select a player everywhere anyways.

Arkless

Reaction score

what the heck are you talking about?

jass2 never gave you structs, that was vjass or cjass or whatever you were using. And it was NO native function, just parallel arrays and an integer allocation. So it is still possible in galaxy...

Narks

Reaction score
And it was NO native function, just parallel arrays and an integer allocation. So it is still possible in galaxy...

wrong - arrays are useless thanks to the 2MB variable limit

Arkless

Reaction score
wrong - arrays are useless thanks to the 2MB variable limit
it's still possible :p

well... then use the data table for gods sake
just get yourself a counter and save everything like:
MEMBER1337INTEGERA
MEMBER1337BOOLEANBLUBB

you wont even need a deallocator, just clear the data table values

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
The thing is, Wc3 coders are dissing it because of the lack of scripting support.

Because WE agree that typing is superior to clicking.

But now all the guys who didnt embrace coding on Wc3 are praising the editor because they can do more stuff that what THEY could do on Wc3.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Making a hero to quick test an ability
Why on earth would you need to create a brand new hero, for the purposes of quickly testing an ability? I don't know about you, but all my ability testing (in both WC3 and SC2) has been with pre-existing units since it's probably the most convenient way of doing it (since everything is already there, just a simple matter of adding the ability)

Linking... Linking...
Nothing to it, but a bit of logical thinking and common sense - once you have a basic understanding of what different Behaviour and Effect types do (and, considering that a number are self-explanatory), it's just a matter of thinking about how these things must be connected to produce the desired effect... heaven forbid that Blizzard should expect people using the Editor to make use of their brains!

Because the SC2 and WC3 Trigger Editors and triggering functions are identical, and what was applicable for WC3 is 100% applicable for SC2, amirite?

>.>

But now all the guys who didnt embrace coding on Wc3 are praising the editor because they can do more stuff that what THEY could do on Wc3.
From the little bit I have done with the Trigger Editor, I think that the GUI is, by comparison to World Editor, a massive improvement over WorldEdit and most certainly worthy of praise - sure, there was a great deal that could be done through (v)JASS but (1) it was often quite bothersome and had strings attached ("You must reserve a part of this map for this full-screen inventory to work", amongst other things) and (2) practically required vJASS for the system to be developed in the first place. Where does your statement leave me then? ;_;

Arkless

Reaction score
The thing is, Wc3 coders are dissing it because of the lack of scripting support.

Because WE agree that typing is superior to clicking.

I am one of those coders xD
And I already delt with problems like "no structs" *coughs hard* (as we know wc3 never had em either) and you can still do everything.

Narks

Reaction score
everything except structs and friends

Arkless

Reaction score
everything except structs and friends

oh yea, so you got no real reason ^^, you are just saying its bad...

because you can?

And you still can create the structs you are used to, just not as many... and OH NO you have to think about how many variables you need.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
You want to know why I keep saying LocalPlayer? Try making screen buttons and hiding/showing them for player.....

Structs in Galaxy are pretty useless TBH.

Maybe some neater variable keeping I.E. I use it in the following example:

JASS:
struct GameData {
    fixed HP;
    int Armor;
    fixed Time;
    fixed BountyBase;
    int ElementMode;
};

Also, why the hell would you ever LIMIT how many variables you can have... That makes NO SENSE what-so-ever...

Arkless

Reaction score
you want to know why i keep saying localplayer? Try making screen buttons and hiding/showing them for player.....
you are giving me a custom function as example? Geeze...
structs in galaxy are pretty useless tbh.

Maybe some neater variable keeping i.e. I use it in the following example:

JASS:
struct gamedata {
    fixed hp;
    int armor;
    fixed time;
    fixed bountybase;
    int elementmode;
};

also, why the hell would you ever limit how many variables you can have... That makes no sense what-so-ever...
well, since neither jass2 nor galaxy(not anymore >.<) allows memory allocation for custom classes/structs you have to set a number for the initialization. In jass2 that's always been 8192. In galaxy you can use a maximum size of 8192*8192*8192*8292 (actually thats the gui limit, dunno if you can add more with the script, never had the urge to test it).
However!!! The size of allocated memory (at the same time) may not exceed 2 mb (includes everything from the trigger editor, your script as well).
So let's say you can have a maximum of 500000 variables, essentially that makes it about 60 struct members with a length of 8192 (wich is still just an example, but you see my point there?).

need text outside of the quote to submit this post :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.