Report The Suburbs Are in Fact Associated With Obesity, Diabetes, and Heart Disease

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Just seeing someone wearing a Fitbit makes me nervous. I'm told I have a tendency to become “obsessive.” A count of steps or calories burned would be a destructive competition, just one more thing haunting quiet moments telling me I could be working harder, doing more. Pedometers are an invasion to be absolutely avoided, certainly never sought out or, least comprehensibly, given as a "gift."

A decade ago when I was studying in Venice, Italy, though, I did wear a pedometer. It was for science. I was part of a study that compared health behaviors in the U.S. and Italy—where people eat pasta and drink wine long into the night and never die. So I wore the pedometer reluctantly for a while in North Carolina, and then for while in Venice. And, guess what. People walk more in Venice. It is extremely difficult to drive in Venice. There are just no cars or roads.

Is that all it takes to make a healthy city? My professor, Paolo, was a native Venetian who, as a middle-aged adult, had never driven a car. He had, though, managed to fall into the canals on three separate occasions in his life. The lagoon-water of Venice is stagnant and loaded with sewage, so pedestrianism has its own health risks.

In places where there are streets, the particular effects of their layout on health are less known. But, like so many environmental factors whose health influence might not be readily apparent (e.g. the treesthat save us billions of dollars in medical costs), they seem to be worth considering.

Read more here. (The Atlantic, City Lab)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Noooooooooooooooooooo shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Walking is healthy! You heard it here first folks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.