Sci/Tech Finding cannabinoids in hair does not prove cannabis consumption

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
A new study published this week in the ‘Scientific Reports‘ journal has completely blown the lid off one of the most prevalent forms of drug testing the world has ever known: the hair test. The title of the study is just as conclusive as the finding: ‘Finding cannabinoids in hair does not prove cannabis consumption’.

It’s at this moment that I’m wondering about how may companies in America are shitting their pants for firing someone (or not hiring someone) due to a flawed drug test…Is it hundreds? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? How many people didn’t get hired (or got fired) because of a failed drug test that has now been proven to be incredibly flawed?

I highly suggest reading the full study, but here’s the abstract which will provide you with the base-level information you need to know regarding this huge revelation in the world of drug testing.

Hair analysis for cannabinoids is extensively applied in workplace drug testing and in child protection cases, although valid data on incorporation of the main analytical targets, ∆9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and 11-nor-9-carboxy-THC (THC-COOH), into human hair is widely missing. Furthermore, ∆9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid A (THCA-A), the biogenetic precursor of THC, is found in the hair of persons who solely handled cannabis material. In the light of the serious consequences of positive test results the mechanisms of drug incorporation into hair urgently need scientific evaluation. Here we show that neither THC nor THCA-A are incorporated into human hair in relevant amounts after systemic uptake. THC-COOH, which is considered an incontestable proof of THC uptake according to the current scientific doctrine, was found in hair, but was also present in older hair segments, which already grew before the oral THC intake and in sebum/sweat samples. Our studies show that all three cannabinoids can be present in hair of non-consuming individuals because of transfer through cannabis consumers, via their hands, their sebum/sweat, or cannabis smoke. This is of concern for e.g. child-custody cases as cannabinoid findings in a child’s hair may be caused by close contact to cannabis consumers rather than by inhalation of side-stream smoke.

Original article source here. (BroBible)

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to point out that you are showing "news" from a website called "BroBible" with a dead link and a title that is too long for the forum software. Of course, as a result of that, the validity of the information is of no doubt whatsoever.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I just want to point out that you are showing "news" from a website called "BroBible" with a dead link and a title that is too long for the forum software. Of course, as a result of that, the validity of the information is of no doubt whatsoever.
Ah, apologies from me. Had an interview coming up before I posted this, so I was too hurry to check back.

Thanks Varine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.