Tutorial on Sprite editing

X

Xzero

*ALL EDITING IS AND HAS TO BE DONE ON MS PAINT

THE SPRITE EDITING TUTORIALS

-HEAD EDITING-*

make sure you view the picture with every step it is important*

tut1fy6.png

1. open paint and post the sprite you wish to edit. For this example we will use Megaman X.

2. click the zoom button on the toolbar, and set it to x2
Now you should have a close up view of your sprite.

*In sprite editing this is the easiest way to edit sprites*

3. Start by using the pencil tool and the color black and drawing what you want the face or armor on the face to look like.

*dont forget to get rid of un-neaded part after outline such the one nose pixel*

4. continue drawing your design of the head using the base sprite's details to guide you. For example on the sprite the black lines extend to over the ear piece. then using the turqouise armor on the head as a guide, the shape of the forehead armor was able to be drawn much easier.

*In sprite editing this is the easiest way to to get your armor shape perfectly proportioned.*

5. Now double click the color square of the color you are using. a window will come up. Click Define custom color. move the shade bar on the right side up 4-5 squares. hit ok. now you have a brighter black. using the pencil fill, up the area between the black lines with this brighter shade of black.

*In sprite editing this is the easiest way to start off your shading.*

6. now repeat the process in step five and double click your color square you were using again. now bring the shade up brighter but this time only 2-3 squares. Fill in the shade to the best of your ability and then repeat with a final shade.

*in Sprite editing 32 bit sprites such as this should have 3-5 shades on all parts.*

7. great now you have a cool armor design on your head so far, but lets change the color now. first click the color square of the color you want to change it to. For this case we will use red. double click the red square like you would the black square but this time make it darker; almost to the bottom. Now hit ok. Right click the square you just changed. and using the dropper tool, left click the color you want to change. Now hit the eraser tool, and hold in the right clicker. move the eraser over the color needing a change. Watch as the black changes to red. this work with any colors, just make sure you left click the color to be changed, and right click the color your changing it to. Now double click the red and do the shading steps from before and the color changing steps till it looks like number 8

* in Sprite editing its wise to change the colors anyway so that you can edit the rest of the sprite easier. and then come back and change it later*

8. Now you have some cool red armor on your head armor. Now lets change the helmet.

*Note if your doing hair you can just delete the head except for the face and redraw the whole thing*

9. outline the second most outline of the head. ( every pixel under the outline of the head.)

10. Delete the outline outside the black. Now the head shape is proportional becuase when we changed it up in the begging it made the helmets shape look odd.

* if you can find another way to make it look ok thats also fine*

11. now instead of black(unless thats the color your changing it to) click a differnt color and using the steps of above to get a darker shade of it. (for this example we will use blue)

Change the black outline to a dark blue.

12. get the next shade of blue and fill up every part of the shaded area within the outline.

13. Now do the next shade

14. and then the final shade( which should now look like the brightest is in the middle)

15. Now we have the change the way the color shades look , so that the head looks perfect and the shade goes with it. (other wise like in pic 14 the sprites head looks pillow shaded., which just means it goes to the center and not with the direction) To do this you make the shades on the back side of the head come down more and then seem to go up as it goes right and notice that the out line on the right side of the head isnt the darkest shade, it is the second darkest shade becuase the colors are going up.

*make sure to study the shading part closly and look at other people's sprites for a better general idea*

16. now say we want to add more detail to the head Thus a diamond or a jewel like in pic 16. basicly for diamonds like that (or any other object) the center of the head is on the far right of the head ( unles the sprite is facing the other way) so notice how the right side of the diamond covers the right side of the head. ( in truth this is wrong it should go one more pixel over, but in some cases it doesn't matter and is easy to fix) Shading daimond is differnt. just pick a bright color. do the outline, fill it up with an even brighter shade and then add a white shade on the right side. (very little though) for shine.

* When adding white shade make sure you make it just alittle bit dark like with the other colors above, but only like one square*

17. You now have a custom head this would be the time to fix certain things if you see anything wrong with them. Like im just notice my diamond is un proportioned so later on i shall have to move it one pixel past the helmet.

-BODY EDITING-

tut2eg2.png

1. Here is the sprite, whos head we edited earlier.

2. Zoom in once more at 2x

3. outline the body in black.

4. fill it up with the second darkest blue shade.

5. then add any designs you wish to it such as the diamond like on the head.

6. now shade the body armor liek you would the head. but working around the daimond

7. change the black out line to the darkest shade of blue.

8. Now using the steps with the erase chnage the colors of your sprite to your choosing. Making sure that when you change the legs shade to add and extra 4th shade to it.

9. you will notice gray sprites and and some gray-black pixels on the sprite. for the gray black pixels jsut takes the darkest shade of the armor color and using the eraser tool recolor it.

10. now for the gray. if you like the way it looks edit it to a brighter hade of your color.(which is ussually the best thing to do)

11. any extra stuff you wish to add such as the red on the feet or the red on the arms ( and designs any where else) just draw and shade like above till your satisfied (sometimes when adding things you may need to fix the shading of whatever your adding it on to.)

12. (not on pic) IF you want to edit the legs to wherei nstead of the armor it has like a belt or something just delete it off reshade the legs and add the belt. Hair you have to draw and shade liek you would anything else.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
Looks good. A few pointers though.

Try to add contrast between steps and notes. Here's an example.

3. You need to do something like this for contrast.

Size one is good for notes

You missed a few capitals too. Try to look through your tutorials before submitting them.

You also forgot to put a "7." before step 7 on the head editing part.

Tonks

Reaction score
>The Srite editing tutorials -HEAD EDITING-*make sure you view the picture with every step it is important*
Xzero's Sprite Editing Tutorial - Editing Heads
Important! - Look at the pictures that are alongside the steps to enhance your understanding.

>*dont forget to get rid of un-neaded part after outline such the one nose pixel*
You should rephrase it as "Don't forget to get rid of any parts that you don't need after your outline, such as the one nose pixel." ;)

Also, maybe give an explanation of what sprite editing is.. I don't know what exactly it is, and it just looks like playing with pictures in Paint.

Yea, like whitesock said, try to add a bit of variation between the hints and steps, and make the steps contrast out a bit, and the hints blend a bit.
Maybe do
Step 1 - Your Step Here.
>Hint! - Your hint here.

X

Xzero

well ok lets see what is sprite editing? Well its jsut as it says. You take a sprite and edit it to make your own character. like your own character for you flash game or movie, or your comics or jsut to say hey i cna make this guy look really cool. And everyone makes differnt sprites based on there own personality. And i will try and fix it up.

X

Xzero

its gotta be paint the tut cover paint only i have no experience whatso ever with sprite editing on other programs :p yeah try it on paint

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I use GIMP, but that shouldn't matter unless there's something odd about indexed .gifs that I don't know about (that's probably the reason :p ).

You are right, indexed gifs can't be edited in Photoshop, aswell. When I want to edit one, I simply select all the image and CnP it on a new canvas.

Anyway, good tut, I'm gonna start making some edits, then I wanna start scratching :p

However, I'll try in Photoshop, cuz there is an important thing missing from Paint: layers :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.