Sci/Tech [Updated] Google Chrome reportedly bypassing Adblock, forces users to watch full-length video ads

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Update: We have been contacted by Rob Wu, a developer on the Chromium project - the open-source foundation for the Chrome browser - who has informed us that this change was not intentional but, rather, an unintended result of fixing a previous security issue (CVE-2015-1297). He confirmed that the issue will only be seen if the YouTube app is installed and that, at the moment, apart from disabling AdBlock or whitelisting YouTube, the only solution, as described above, is to uninstall the app. The problem is expected to be patched in the upcoming weeks or, at least, when Chrome 46 is released.

Bug link here.

Twitter is alit today, it seems, with news of Google neutralising AdBlock Plus. The popular extension, originally created by Wladimir Palant in 2006, is used by many to bypass ads hosted on the internet, including the video ads served by Google's video streaming site.

It has drawn the ire of many web publishers and websites alike for allegedly curtailing their revenues significantly. In an attempt to shore up the almost non-existent profits from YouTube, Google might have finally found a way of skirting the extension. Multiple Twitter users are now posting their accounts, including images, of Chrome circumventing the extension's ad-averse net.

Google's workaround seems to be applicable to all similar extensions and isn't exclusive to just AdBlock Plus.

The company has not stopped at just skirting the extension, however. Users with AdBlock enabled will now have to see full-length video ads with no option to skip them half-way through, a feature YouTube has offered for a very long time. The only way to get the option back is to disable AdBlock, or to whitelist YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, bad move. That is a definite no-go.

I was very unhappy with firefox for some time now and I thought about picking a different browser. I was actually thinking about giving chrome a try but I guess this just saved me a lot of time.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Wow, bad move. That is a definite no-go.

I was very unhappy with firefox for some time now and I thought about picking a different browser. I was actually thinking about giving chrome a try but I guess this just saved me a lot of time.
Fortunately, the Tom left out the important part of the article: this only applies to those using the Youtube App, whatever the fuck that is. Just go to youtube.com like a regular person and it works the same as always.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Fortunately, the Tom left out the important part of the article: this only applies to those using the Youtube App, whatever the fuck that is. Just go to youtube.com like a regular person and it works the same as always.
I remember it was actually failing to block youtube ads for a while (Adblock on Chrome) so I had to have a 2ndary addon specifically for youtube. This kinda explains why I guess :)

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score

Aw, shucks. Didn't even see the fact that the article purposefully put Youtube App at the very bottom. Going to edit the post.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.