Warcraft III crashes straight after video has played...

B

brooksbnb

Can anyone help me? I've had Warcraft III happily running on my computer for a couple of years. But now I can't get start a campaign. It plays the initial video happily no jerking etc. but the second the video finishes it bombs out and I end up sat looking at the Windows XP desktop with no trace of Warcraft III. Just a 'bong' noise.

Initially I read that it may be due to conflicting codecs and I had recently installed Media Player 10. I have rolled back that and still the problem persists. I have also uninstalled all DivX, Nimo's Codec Pack and XVid codecs and it still crashes...

Does anyone have any ideas please? Your help would be most appreciated...

Rich

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
all the war3 videos are created using DivX so you definitely need an MPEG4 codec installed to play them.

Verify you can play the videos fine by downloading GSpot here: http://gspot.headbands.com/

1) download and run the program. Now go to your Warcraft III/Movies folder. Drag and drop the first file "HumanEd.mpq" (the human cinematic) into the Gspot window. Let GSpot tell you if you have the codecs installed to play the file.

2) if it reports problems, please download ffdshow here:http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

install this. Now try running the HumanEd.mpq file through GSpot again.

HUGE TIP: NEVER INSTALL NIMOS CODEC PACK IT WILL SCREW YOUR SYSTEM EVERY WAY IT CAN

B

brooksbnb

Thankyou very much.

I'll give a go when I get home...

I'm starting to realise what you mean about Nimo's Codec Pack!!!! :banghead:

B

brooksbnb

OK I downloaded GSpot and dump HumanEd.mpq in there. It said that it had 2 compatable codecs. DivX for Blizzard Decoder Filter and 3ivx D4 Video Decoder.

However, after 3ivx D4 Video Decoder it said (misconfigured). I re-installed 3ivx and now it doesn't say misconfigured. I clicked 'Render' and it says Render Successful with no problems. I restarted my computer and ran Warcraft III, but still the same problem. I have tried re-installing it, but it's still the same. It plays the video correctly all the way through to the end. As soon as it's finished or I press 'Esc' to skip the video, it crashes to the Desktop.

But, it does allow me to start a Custom Game and play that. But I have no way of playing the campaigns...?

If the worst comes to the worst and this is unfixable, is there anyway of skipping the videos?

Also Note: Windows Media Player is able to play to video.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
it sounds to me like there's a different problem now, its almost as if your war3 install is corrupted or something. If the video is playing perfectly fine that would certainly support my theory. Have you tryed an uninstall/reinstall of the game?

If push comes to shove, move the movies out of the warcraft 3/movies folder and they won't play in the game.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.