Report We Give Up. Let’s Just Say Coffee Cures Everything

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The big news last week was that coffee now prevents skin cancer. “The more coffee consumed, the lower the risk,” The New York Times wrote. “Drinking four or more cups of coffee was associated with a 20 percent risk reduction compared with those who drank none.”

I’ve yet to find a cancer that coffee won’t cure. Colon cancer. Breast cancer. Prostate cancer. A cup of joe keeps them all at bay, according to studies in recent years. You’d think by now someone at the National Cancer Institute would have seen the writing on the wall and simply redirected their $4.8 billion per year to a more worthy cause.

My suggestion would have been diabetes or Alzheimer’s research—if coffee hadn’t already cured them, too. Coffee also supposedly reduces risk of stroke, heart failure and Parkinson’s. A quick search of recent biomedical studies turns up about 2,000 papers that refer to coffee as some kind of preventative potion (and a few older studies that suggest coffee in fact causes cancer).

I love coffee. As I write this, I am shaking my head and sipping my third cup today. But I don’t think it’ll make me live longer, in part because there are a bunch of studies that also say it’ll make me die younger.

The most recent paper on the dubious connection between coffee and skin cancer is rife with the same fatal flaws that pop up in the 2,000 other coffee wellness studies online. Perry Wilson, an assistant professor of medicine at Yale University, presents a brilliant (and only slightly technical) takedown of the melanoma-coffee correlation on MedPage Today.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.