What kind of maps will sc2 have?

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
What kind of maps do you think people will make in sc2, list some ideas you would like to hear about, and ideas you cant do in wc3, but would like to be able to.

For example, Id like to have first person shooters, a Newbfriendly capture the flag, and (out of ideas)

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
i wonder if bliz will take info consideration the impact of DotA when making SC2...
hope they make a map like DotA... that be sweet!

trees123

Reaction score
Hmm.. here's my guess. 50% RPG's; 25% DotA/AoS; 25% other. I think a first person shooter...in an RTS would be CRAZY.

nardretor

Reaction score
Well... i think RPGs wont be 50%. Maybe it's 30 or 40.

FPS? xD... FPS maps will be the least played maps of SC2... LOL

I still don't think about map editing so much in SC2. I just want to play it first.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1% Good Maps.
99% Crap Maps.

No other way to put it, really. New genres will probably come into existence, and it's difficult to predict how many RPGs, AoS's, TDs, etc will be made.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No other way to put it, really. New genres will probably come into existence, and it's difficult to predict how many RPGs, AoS's, TDs, etc will be made.

I already have an idea for a new genre. It's top secret though. I have monkey-ninjas guarding the plan.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Me has a top-secret plan too.

Now....

3% good maps

5% Day Of The Alliance made by Fire Dog

92% shits.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> 5% Day Of The Alliance made by Fire Dog
So you think only 20 maps will be made?

> 3% good maps
> 92% shits.
Yeah.. 3% of 20. :rolleyes:

Am I the only one without a plan of some sort?
I think I'll hire some Ninja Elephants to think of something. ;)

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
> 5% Day Of The Alliance made by Fire Dog
So you think only 20 maps will be made?

> 3% good maps
> 92% shits.
Yeah.. 3% of 20. :rolleyes:

Am I the only one without a plan of some sort?
I think I'll hire some Ninja Elephants to think of something. ;)

Well, having a plan as in "I will make terrain and triggered spells based on xxxx" is kinda stupid because until we see what the editor will be like, nothing can trully be spoken.
For example I hope that wasd movment and let's say' L to attack and 2d view will be built in.
But if you have ideas like: "My RPG will be about the 3 races trying to find a gem that will lead to "Ulltimate power muhaha". The battles will be mostly only 1v1, because I want to make the athmosphear realistic. If you get on really low health you shall be crippled badly until you get to a hospital"

Is something that can be started from now. For example I have a what-so-ever compleate idea for a map that won't require much of anything, but I have no f***ing idea about how I am going to do it and if the SCII engine will take it.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
What kind of maps do you think people will make in sc2
No man can possibly even begin to guess what maps it might have. I can think of lots I would want to make that I can't in wc3, though.

A good racing game that doesn't lag.
Any maps using arrow keys that doesn't lag. (Arrow keys allways delay in wc3..)
Multiplayer campaigns... Epic ones!
Cinematics that are more win.
Maps that do bigger battles. (After awhile, wc3 can't handle all the units)
Better maze maps. (So hard to make accurate killing tilesets without using regions, speaking of regions they need to be able to make them any shape, not just square)

Theres more then that, but they escape my mind atm. And theres other maps that can be made in wc3, that I want to make in sc2 (only much better then they could be made in wc3).

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
I already have a project - making my syntax highlighter. =)
The problem, I don't really know the language... xD (It highlights JASS currently)

But I hope that Blizzard have learned from their failure @ JASS, so they'll create a lot of other functions so I'll be able to make my shooter --properly without having to abusing shitloads of functions--

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Bloodcount: As we all know and are very pissed off starcraft II isn't in our grubby lil' hands yet so we can't really have a real project....

Vestres: I ALREADY HAS A PROJECT

Bloodount: lol ?

So... yeah...

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
Blizzard will probably put in a bunch of cameo models from the warcraft universe (kinda like the marine, hyrdralisk, and zergling in wc3) into the editor. On top of all the fan made models, I bet there will still be plenty of fantasy/medieval themed maps along with the sci-fi.

ButcherBunny

Reaction score
Are models that important. I am pretty sure that with the sphere ability you can make a mage look in at least 20 different ways.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Lets just say the kinds of maps SC2 will have, will be the same old shit, and maybe some new ideas that come into play.

Map diversity will be the same, its just going to adapt more to the game's theme.

wc3shady

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Lets just say the kinds of maps SC2 will have, will be the same old shit, and maybe some new ideas that come into play.

Map diversity will be the same, its just going to adapt more to the game's theme.

Pretty much this, but what I'm excited about is that it will be a fresh start for all maps to gain popularity. So, at least in the beginning, DotA wont be the only thing we see.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
I think:

80% DotA
10% DotA wannabe's
5% RPG and Tower Defense
5% Mazes/Bounds (as they were called in the good old days. Anyone remember Level Up Bound? :))

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.