Who won WWII?

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
But that's Germany, not the 'righteous' America.
Let me see if I can follow your argument from start to finish:

Premise A: America has historically claimed to hold to a solid moral code.
Premise B: During WWII, America jailed a large portion of its population due to unreasonable racial suspicions.
Conclusion 1: America "completely tipped" its morals and "changed itself forever" during WWII.

Premise C: Germany murdered millions of civilians in WWII.
Premise D: Germany is not morally "righteous"
Conclusion 2: Therefore, Germany did not tip their own morals by murdering millions of civilians in WWII.

Both of these arguments seem flawed.

In the case of the first one, it assumes that America has ever historically had a reasonable moral righteousness stance. The only thing that perhaps made the Japanese internment a greater violation of our moral values than earlier US offenses against people was that the people being subjugated were our own citizens. There had been earlier atrocious acts on the part of our country which Americans with open eyes had been able to identify as totally morally messed up despite the stupid justifications we gave (ie White Man's Burden), such as the backstabbing of the First Phillipine Republic.

As for the second argument, for it to be taken seriously, you must believe that traditional German morality says that slaughtering millions of civilians for the purpose of benefiting a specific racial group is completely acceptable. If you do NOT believe the above, then it must be admitted that the Germans DID completely tip their morals during WWII.
...Which it seems Germans tend agree with.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You may be onto something.

But, maybe not.

Maybe we can't decide what morals Germany had before.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Maybe we can't decide what morals Germany had before.

That is actually pretty easy, they had zero to none morale after the first world war due to their economic system collapse^^ That was one of the main reasons why they went to war a second time you know.
Germany was basically a country with nothing to lose and if I use uberfoop's theory and add that factor then Germany won WW2 at least in the morale factor;)

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone who was lucky enough not to live during it is a winner. We should be glad we didn't experience any of the pain and horror it caused millions of people.

punwisp

Reaction score
Russia, because hitler was stupid enough to cost him the war by betraying them, causing them to go into russia and end up dying, and losing the war not too long after.

So russia, for provoking hitler's stupidity

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
A historical bump.
I think Finland kind of won. It defended against the Red Army and kept its independence while many other countries didn't.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
A historical bump.
I think Finland kind of won. It defended against the Red Army and kept its independence while many other countries didn't.

a bit biased, no? :p

------

i think when people refer to winning a war they refer to if they achieved their objective or not. example vietnam war america tried to stop the north from expanding communism, and the north vietnam objective was to spread down south. the north vietnamese objective was fulfilled while the american objective was not making north vietnam win. what ur saying is like saying north korea won the vietnam war because communism was pushed down south in vietnam by the nva.

im pretty sure when we are talking about who won world war 2 we are refering to who was the biggest factor in making the allies achieve their goal of stopping the axis from achieving theirs. which this in itself is very hard, because there were several parts to WW2. if we look at the germany part than it is probably agreed that the soviets had the largest impact on that part of ww2 but if you look at the japanese part of ww2 then its easy to say that america had the biggest impact with hiroshima and nagasaki.
IMO it would not have been a win without every helping, so i say it wasnt one country who won but rather it was the allied forces who won and the axis who lost.

still though its hard to come to a consensus when everyone is trying to make up their own definition for 'victory'

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Italy. And also Germany.

EDIT: If you want one on the allies side, then it was obviously Russia - two words: pawn sacrifice.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score

This just supports my point. German troops bound at Italian territory, without Italy partaking in the battle. Despite of the efforts of Wehrmacht (which in this situation seem formidable), the lack of Italian support creates another key hole in the defense system, which allows for shorter supply routes and a quicker advance.

The role of Germany in their loss would rather be
a) decimating their own troop strength, also killing highly skilled people
b) failing at Fall Blau and starting a winter offensive without proper equipment
c) starting the offensive against Russia far to early
d) starting the war far to early (before finishing preparations) in the fear of loosing their head position in technology and having to replace all their machinery
e) underestimating the US

Italy, on the other hand, lost many troops in short sighted and ill-planned assaults, hence giving it a key role in delaying Wehrmacht advance, allowing them to fail at Fall Blau in the first place; Further binding German troops that could've been used elsewhere and also posing a hole in the defensive system.

Russia sacrificed population and soldiers. If Russia would've been kept out of the war for so long, I could no longer state the outcome. Perhaps we would have one US, one Germany, and one statist Russia+China as global players right now. But gladly that wasn't possible due to Hitlers beliefs. If he hadn't been a Nazi, he might have won WW II.

The problem though is that Hitler abused many attributes that I deem highly positive, which got those attributes a fairly negative connotation (at least here in Germany). Plus he killed (or forced the flight of) many of our key Scientists, Philosophers, Authors, Artists, .... The reason why Germany "sucks" nowadays is not, as many Neo-Nazis claim, that we kinda have open borders, rather than Third Reich policies and WW II, as well as how Germany was treated after WW II by Russia (for ~30 yrs) and France (for ~5 yrs).

Just my 2$.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Well, first off we have to know who did made up the Axis power:

Germany, Italy, and Japan. Those were the three main Axis powers.

Next, we need to which constituted the Axis army as a whole the most.

Since we can see from enouwee's first post that, of the Axis powers, Germany suffered the greatest losses. Based on this, we assume* that Germany had the most power in the Axis army. This assumption is supported by the fact that Germany was the unofficial leader of the Axis powers. However, Germany was more of a leader in the western Axis than in the eastern Axis. But that doesn't matter.

Next, we have to decide who killed the most of Germany's men.

Now, don't quote me on this, but I think that Germany lost the most men in their campaign against the Russians. And I think this assumption is supported by a post here that the Russians made up 80% of all of the German kills.

I know this is all based on assumptions, but what more is History but assumption and twisted truth?

Anyhow, I believe Russia did the "most" in terms of kills.

Who came out on top though? America.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well, first off we have to know who did made up the Axis power:

Germany, Italy, and Japan. Those were the three main Axis powers.

Next, we need to which constituted the Axis army as a whole the most.

Since we can see from enouwee's first post that, of the Axis powers, Germany suffered the greatest losses. Based on this, we assume* that Germany had the most power in the Axis army. This assumption is supported by the fact that Germany was the unofficial leader of the Axis powers. However, Germany was more of a leader in the western Axis than in the eastern Axis. But that doesn't matter.

Next, we have to decide who killed the most of Germany's men.

Now, don't quote me on this, but I think that Germany lost the most men in their campaign against the Russians. And I think this assumption is supported by a post here that the Russians made up 80% of all of the German kills.

I know this is all based on assumptions, but what more is History but assumption and twisted truth?

Anyhow, I believe Russia did the "most" in terms of kills.

Who came out on top though? America.

Russia suffered a lot more losses than Germany..

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
And Russia wasn't a part of the Axis powers.

We're looking at who had the largest army in the Axis powers and who caused the most losses.

We all know Russia mainly fought Germany, right?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i think germany was the greatest winner indeed.

Before the second world war there was alot of shady things going on in germany, alot of confusion, alot of hatred and trouble.

after the world war the country was purged from alot of its former mistakes and able to start again, it was marked, yes, but it got a second chance.
If you look at germany now it is doing very well, in fact maybe even better then france and britain. (but that is subject to another debate)

I see alot of "there are no winners in a war" statements in this thread and i have to disagree. without conflic there is only little room for developlement. The whole world is build around the idea of decay, old things have to go, be destroyed, and make way for the future. think about it, whenever the "good guys" won a war the situation got slightly better. If you look at the situation at a certain, twisted angle there is no loss at all on the world. people die, but the human race will stay. new people with new ideas will come when the old people and old ideas die out. every destroyed house makes room for a new one. every old sword can become a plough share. the matter around us and within will always stay the same, but the ideas will evolve into something new and possibly better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.