Windows 8: How to tweak the File Explorer to always open "My Computer"

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
By Default the File Explorer in Windows 8 opens the Libraries folder. You can change the default location for File Explorer to Computer as follows.

Hold down the Shift key and then Right click the File Explorer icon in the taskbar and click Properties. In the Target field type the following and then click OK:

%windir%\explorer.exe “”

nQOoDZL.png

File Explorer will now open My Computer instead of Libraries. This target can also be used in the command prompt for quick and easy access to "My Computer" as an alternative route.

Source.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
not quite sure what the point of this is, as you can create a shortcut to Computer and just use that instead.. as well as any other possible alternative for "File Explorer", but I suppose some people may like the icon more?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
not quite sure what the point of this is, as you can create a shortcut to Computer and just use that instead.. as well as any other possible alternative for "File Explorer", but I suppose some people may like the icon more?

In Windows 8, you can't make "My Computer" pinned to the taskbar.

EDIT: Also there's a benefit, as this works for Windows 7:

When you're doing something, and you want to open "My Computer", it's much faster to just click once to bring it up, than to click on the "lower right corner - Return to Desktop" button, and double click on "My Computer". It's a whole lot easier on your taskbar.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
EDIT: Also there's a benefit, as this works for Windows 7:

When you're doing something, and you want to open "My Computer", it's much faster to just click once to bring it up, than to click on the "lower right corner - Return to Desktop" button, and double click on "My Computer". It's a whole lot easier on your taskbar.

or you could just click on "Computer":
2013-03-03_1358.png

obligatory: windows 8 needs to go die in a fire

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I like this information actually!
It was really upsetting me that i could not put folders into my task bar. I didnt know you could shift-click it to get to the properties page.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
*necro post* - I have found a use for this - you can use this to put multiple different shortcuts to file explorer on the taskbar

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
*necro post* - I have found a use for this - you can use this to put multiple different shortcuts to file explorer on the taskbar
In what situations do you have to put in multiple different shortcuts in the Properties panel?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
In what situations do you have to put in multiple different shortcuts in the Properties panel?

I never said properties panel - but like if you want to copy files from X to Y for example, you can create a shortcut to X and a shortcut to Y, and pin them both to the taskbar, and then click on X, click on Y, and you get two explorer windows open, vs the regular behavior of opening one, and then if one is open, just bringing it to the foreground instead of opening a second window

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.