Sci/Tech World's Longest Snake Has Virgin Birth—First Recorded in Species

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
An 11-year-old reticulated python named Thelma produced six female offspring in June 2012 at the Louisville Zoo in Kentucky, where she lives with another female python, Louise. No male had ever slithered anywhere near the 200-pound (91-kilogram), 20-foot-long (6 meters) mother snake.

New DNA evidence, published in July in theBiological Journal of the Linnean Society, revealed that Thelma is the sole parent, said Bill McMahan, the zoo's curator of ectotherms, or cold-blooded animals. (Read: "'Virgin Birth' Seen in Wild Snakes, Even When Males Are Available.")

"We didn't know what we were seeing. We had attributed it to stored sperm," he said. "I guess sometimes truth is stranger than fiction."

Virgin births have been observed in other reptiles before, including other pythons and snake species, said James Hanken, a professor of herpetology at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Fatherless reproduction in animals that normally require two parents is called parthenogenesis.

This phenomenon occurs when polar bodies, or cells produced with an animal's egg that normally die or disappear, behave like sperm and fuse with the egg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
What kind of name is Thelma for a giant snake?

Varine

Reaction score
Terrible name for a snake. Asmodeus, or Obsidian, or Leviathan or something. I mean fuck they're terrible things, why even name it?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of Panda masturbating and Virgin snake births threads here lately :) Just saying...

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
They are one giant living penis, I think everything they do counts as masturbation.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. "your name" must be the worst name I have ever heard as the name of a pet. Just imagine some dork shouting ""your name" come here!". This is just stupid.

Varine

Reaction score
It's even worse than "Acc Name get over here!". At least yours can be taken satirically.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Holy crap. So, your name "is your name" I thought it was Varine?

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Holy crap. So, your name "is your name" I thought it was Varine?
2f7.png

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.