Report Would we give up burgers to stop climate change?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
In case you missed the news, humanity spent the Earth Day week reaching another sad milestone in the history of catastrophic climate change: For the first time, measurements of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere surpassed 400 parts per million, aka way above what our current ecosystem can handle.

Actually, you probably did miss the news because most major media outlets didn’t cover it in a serious way, if at all. Instead, they and their audiences evidently view such information as far less news-, buzz- and tweet-worthy than (among other things) the opening of George W. Bush’s library and President Obama’s jokes at the White House Correspondents Dinner.

Such an appetite for distraction, no doubt, comes from both those who deny the problem of climate change and those who acknowledge the crisis but nonetheless look away from what feels like an unsolvable mess.

That sense of hopelessness is understandable. After all, some of the most hyped ways to reduce carbon emissions — electric cars, mass-scale renewable energy power plants, etc. — require the kind of technological transformations that can seem impossibly unrealistic at a time when Congress can’t even pass a budget.

Here’s the good news, though: The fastest way to reduce climate change shouldn’t seem impossible, because it requires no massive new investments, technological breakthroughs or long-term infrastructure projects. According to data compiled by former World Bank advisers Robert Goodland and Jeff Anhang, it just requires us all to eat fewer animal products.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Hmm Maybe such a good idea? LOL
But I'm still on the fence about freaky "global warming"

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Chicken still fine though, right? RIGHT?!?

2SCudjz.jpg

Awww Hell Yes ...!!!

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
11.90, are you fucking kidding me?

And for the record, that won't change anything. This concept that we can keep Earth forever is not accurate; we are a civilization based on perpetual growth, and without a deliberate effort to expand, the physical and informational entropy will increase indefinitely in an artificially isolated system to the point of unsustainability. Regardless of what we do, this planet will die eventually. The sooner everyone accepts this, the sooner we can move forward as a species and put our focus where it should be at this point, which is interplanetary colonization for the purpose of expanding the available resources for growth.

Varine

Reaction score
Or, more likely, nine or ten generations before the natural resources have been depleted to the extent of rationing, leading to the inevitable downfall of humanity soon after. Everyone is talking about how we have to avoid that and their 'solutions' typically involve somehow sustaining our environment for a little bit longer, but that will do nothing with the exponential growth of our civilization requiring these resources for the advancement of technological processes. There are naturally fixed limitations of what can be achieved before we have to expand our dominion beyond Earth, and we are rapidly approaching that limit.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> 11.90, are you fucking kidding me?
When converted to USD, I think it's about 4 bucks. It's in Malaysian Ringgit. Then again, I strongly believe KFC is not pricey in the US compared to many other countries.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Goddamn it... It's fucking pricy here in Taiwan. I love me ze double zinga burga...

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
@FC, you lie.
I've had an Angus burger in the US, at Boston. the burger is bloody huge (for an Asian).

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
It's not a lie! It's Just a Kindly Reminder ;) Seriously, Just look at "tom_mai burger" It looks disgusting and freaky huge.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not a lie! It's Just a Kindly Reminder ;) Seriously, Just look at "tom_mai burger" It looks disgusting and freaky huge.

WTF, you call my "awesomely delicious" burger (haven't added vegetables yet) "disgusting"?

Varine

Reaction score
> 11.90, are you fucking kidding me?
When converted to USD, I think it's about 4 bucks. It's in Malaysian Ringgit. Then again, I strongly believe KFC is not pricey in the US compared to many other countries.
Oh, that's more appropriate.

FireCat, obviously the advertisements are going to be different. The advertisement was probably made by hand by a chef making at least six figures, along with an extremely experienced crew of advertisers. The actual one was probably made by a pissed off 17 year old at his first job making minimum wage, likely having worked there for less than a year, that has a shitty work ethic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.