Sci/Tech YouTube will now default to HTML5 players for better support on more devices

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Today, YouTube announced that its Web video player will now default to HTML5 over Adobe Flash to add more flexibility for developers, bloggers and consumers.

The team wrote that it waited on switching to HTML5 players due to numerous technical issues. For example, HTML5 previously lacked support for Adaptive Bitrate (ABR), which helps reduce buffering.
With ABR support, YouTube says it is able to use MediaSource Extensions to run smooth live streams on a variety of devices, including the Xbox One, Playstation 4, Chromecast and most popular Web browsers such as Chrome, Safari 8 and IE 11.

YouTube also says that since HTML5 supports VP9 codec, it can help save bandwidth, load time and file size. The team encourages developers to start using the iframe API rather than Flash so mobile devices that do not support Flash can easily stream YouTube videos.

Read more here. (The Next Web)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I like this. I hate to depend on Adobe since I think its a horrible company.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I can't say I hate adobe as a company, but I do hate flash..

I wonder if this will allow firefox to show a "noisy" icon on tabs that make noise via html5? (since the way chrome does it uses a proprietary version of flash..)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.