Sci/Tech What Makes a Robot Fish Attractive? Robot Fish Moves to the Head of the School.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
ScienceDaily (Mar. 1, 2012) — Probing the largely unexplored question of what characteristics make a leader among schooling fish, researchers have discovered that by mimicking nature, a robotic fish can transform into a leader of live ones.

Through a series of experiments, researchers from Polytechnic Institute of New York University (NYU-Poly) aimed to increase understanding of collective animal behavior, including learning how robots might someday steer fish away from environmental disasters. Nature is a growing source of inspiration for engineers, and the researchers were intrigued to find that their biomimetic robotic fish could not only infiltrate and be accepted by the swimmers, but actually assume a leadership role.

In a paper published online in the Journal of the Royal Society Interface, Stefano Marras, at the time a postdoctoral fellow in mechanical engineering at NYU-Poly and currently a researcher at Italy's Institute for the Marine and Coastal Environment-National Research Council, and Maurizio Porfiri, NYU-Poly associate professor of mechanical engineering, found conditions that induced golden shiners to follow in the wake of the biomimetic robot fish, taking advantage of the energy savings generated by the robot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Next week: Fishermen worldwide use robots to lure fish into nets.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Next week: Fishermen worldwide use robots to lure fish into nets.
Maybe you want to have a "Robot fish Body, instead for a Zombie Robot ?
Imagine you swimming in the Antarctic sea forever?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Maybe you want to have a "Robot fish Body, instead for a Zombie Robot ?
Imagine you swimming in the Antarctic sea forever?

Uhh yeah that would be fucking baller. If I had my zombie robot I could do that anyway though, why would I need to be a fish?

He's talking about the Russians trying to create a synthetic body. FlamerKitters doesn't understand what they're doing and seems to be under the impression that they're just going to kill me and put my brain inside the robot for no apparent reason.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
[...]
FlamerKitters doesn't understand what they're doing and seems to be under the impression that they're just going to kill me and put my brain inside the robot for no apparent reason.

Well, apparently that is what they are going to do.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Because who wants to fuck a robot mermaid? What other good do mermaids have other then fetish fuel?

If you want to be a robot be 100 meters tall and equipped with lazzors and rocket launchers, maybe flame throwers too. Do it for real man.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.