Gaming ‘No one comes in anymore’: GameStop manager shares what working at the store is like, says company has started layoffs

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Two years after Reddit brought GameStop’s stock to national attention (and record highs), GameStop is again sparking discussion across the internet.

In a viral video with over 6.3 million views as of Saturday, TikTok user Red (@redsonjattv) shares what she says it’s like to be a manager at a physical GameStop location. The outlook is not great.

“Everything’s on clearance,” she writes in the text overlaying the video. “No one comes in anymore and the corporate layoffs have started.”

The pivot away from retail shouldn’t surprise anyone that’s been following GameStop. In the company’s 2021 annual report, the company claimed they were “focused on transforming into a customer-obsessed technology company to delight gamers,” which included strengthening its e-commerce presence.

In the time since, there have been major shakeups at the company including a series of layoffs, as mentioned in Red’s video. The company also appears to have recently closed a Kentucky-based distribution center.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to go to the Gamestop by work tomorrow and pickup on some PS4 Clearance stuff. See if this is true. I have been keeping up with the Gamestop stock and most of it is owned by retail investors so it is out of the hands of the volatility that caused problems in the past.

Gamestop is just a shitty company. It might look good on paper but its tactics suck and it makes obscene profits right in the face of its customers. They are also shitty to there employess especially store management. It is easier to buy stuff from Amazon, Ebay, and online anywhere than Gamestop. I like the idea of them trying to clear out there inventory on Clearance and am happy this story is here because I am going to maybe get some good deals tomorrow :)

Gamestop will be around for a while though I think - they have a mountain of cash from all that nonsense that happened with the stock in the past.

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I bought starcraft II at gamestop in 2010, + 3 "free" games from their "nobody wants these games" bin. Still haven't played 2 of those... Only time I ever shopped at gamestop

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
When my kids were growing up back in the Gamecube and Wii days I used to give an obscene amount of money to gamestop for those games. Not so much lately but I still go there now and again to cruise the PS4 clearance items.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.