Crime “Bank” that claimed to solve Bitcoin’s security problem robbed, shuts down.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Flexcoin, which proclaimed itself to be the "world's first bitcoin bank" and the solver of "nearly every problem that exists with the Bitcoin currency today," says it has shut down after a robbery. An attacker made off with 896 bitcoins, the equivalent of about $620,000 at today's exchange rates.

A statement on Flexcoin's website read as follows:

On March 2nd 2014 Flexcoin was attacked and robbed of all coins in the hot wallet. The attacker made off with 896 BTC, dividing them into these two addresses:​
1NDkevapt4SWYFEmquCDBSf7DLMTNVggdu​
1QFcC5JitGwpFKqRDd9QNH3eGN56dCNgy6​
As Flexcoin does not have the resources, assets, or otherwise to come back from this loss, we are closing our doors immediately.​

The "hot wallet" is what exchanges use to pay out withdrawals instantly. Bitcoins deposited by users are put into "cold storage." Flexcoin said it will help these users get their coins back. "Users who put their coins into cold storage will be contacted by Flexcoin and asked to verify their identity," the bank said. "Once identified, cold storage coins will be transferred out free of charge. Cold storage coins were held offline and not within reach of the attacker."

Flexcoin said it "will attempt to work with law enforcement to trace the source of the hack."

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anyone need a bank for bitcoins?
As far as I know the whole idea for that currency was to be independent on any third parties, such as banks, or others.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Why would anyone need a bank for bitcoins?
As far as I know the whole idea for that currency was to be independent on any third parties, such as banks, or others.

this is my question - I suppose you need a bank if you want to convert bitcoin to some other currency, but then it's more of a broker service than a bank...

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course its real money. If you can pay something with it, then its realy money.
Firecat, you clearly are not on top of things.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
what is "real" money?
You can spend the "real money, for your funny bills?! No?
But seriously, I want to see "Proof" that you can exchange your Bitcoin "Into real money!"
But I haven't seen any evidence, that you can!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
But seriously, I want to see "Proof" that you can exchange your Bitcoin "Into real money!"

but seriously, why do you need to convert - why isn't bitcoin already "real money"? - I can buy very real things with bitcoin already.. granted I may not be able to pay U.S. taxes with them, but it's not like I can pay U.S. taxes with yen or euro either, so does that make yen and euro not "real money" as well?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Hmm Sounds like "Deja Vu" All Over ^

but seriously, why do you need to convert - why isn't bitcoin already "real money"?
But If you believe that Bitcoins are equal to the money in your pocket, Then why don't you exchange all your money to bitcoin?

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
But If you believe that Bitcoins are equal to the money in your pocket, Then why don't you exchange all your money to bitcoin?

Because it's an experimental currency and highly volatile, so investing all your funds into it is even dumber than you could ever hope to be.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm Sounds like "Deja Vu" All Over ^

Same reason he does not exchange all his money to yen or euros.
He just does not want to.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.