Report “Boys will be boys” in U.S., but not in Asia

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
CORVALLIS, Ore. – A new study shows there is a gender gap when it comes to behavior and self-control in American young children – one that does not appear to exist in children in Asia.

In the United States, girls had higher levels of self-regulation than boys. Self-regulation is defined as children’s ability to control their behavior and impulses, follow directions, and persist on a task. It has been linked to academic performance and college completion, in past studies by Oregon State University researchers.

In three Asian countries, the gender gap in the United States was not found when researchers directly assessed the self-regulation of 3-6 year olds. The results appear in the new issue of the journal Early Childhood Research Quarterly.

“These findings suggest that although we often expect girls to be more self-regulated than boys, this may not be the case for Asian children,” said Shannon Wanless, lead author of the study. Wanless began conducting the research during her doctoral studies at Oregon State University under Megan McClelland, an associate professor in OSU’s Hallie E. Ford Center for Healthy Children and Families. Wanless is now on the faculty at the University of Pittsburgh.

One interesting part of the researcher’s findings: Although there were no gender differences in self-regulation when the children were directly assessed using a variety of school-readiness tasks, teachers in Asia perceived girls as performing better on self-regulation even when they actually performed equally to boys.

If US kids were to be able to control their behavior and impulses, will it help with preventing them from being idiots on the internet? Thought to ponder...

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If US kids were to be able to control their behavior and impulses, will it help with preventing them from being idiots on the internet? Thought to ponder...

Our gender gap made the Internet.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
Teaching kids discipline at young as is great. In our society today, ether you live in a big city or at the country side, you need discipline to keep yourself alive. Be it farming or working for food. But letting kids experience the world and have fun is also sooo important. Makes me angry when I see Asian kids being forced to play piano all day at the age of three. And when I hear stories of American (or any other western lands, ffs) boys doing crazy illegal actions.. ye..

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
But they succeeded in controlling their compulsive behaviors.

As an Taiwanese, I am able to fully control my rage and depression, just by sighing.

*le sigh*

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Teaching kids discipline at young as is great. In our society today, ether you live in a big city or at the country side, you need discipline to keep yourself alive. Be it farming or working for food. But letting kids experience the world and have fun is also sooo important. Makes me angry when I see Asian kids being forced to play piano all day at the age of three. And when I hear stories of American (or any other western lands, ffs) boys doing crazy illegal actions.. ye..

Lagreed. A good balance is good.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
kids being forced to play piano all day at the age of three.
I agree with you there. And there is a difference between "forcing" and "introducing/encouraging" a child to an instrument, sport... etc Well, if they are being forced into it. It's Just parent's dream to be rich, famous or whatever.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Then the difference between those two is phenomenally large. If only the entire world's education system differs dramatically to career-specifics, it would totally solve everything.

US -> Industrial and military education.
Japan -> Computer/Technological education.
Europe -> Social and Business education.
Africa -> Agricultural and Cultural education.
Russia/China -> Politics and Survival.
etc.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Man, I envy those forced to play any instrument at a young age =/
Hell, I envy those forced to learn outside the "regular" educational regimen.

When I was younger, there were all sorts of things I wanted to learn, like how to play the piano (because my mom could) or learn to fight (because even in grade school, fights were not uncommon) but I was never given that opportunity because my parents are always busy and I'm not exactly well off =P

So, to those ungrateful brats shunning their dang experience: FUCK YOU! They may hate it but it actually adds value to their lives. If anything, they can go around telling people, "Yeah, I play the violin because I was forced to from a young age. I'm really good at it even though I hate it," which is a far more interesting story than, "Nah, can't play no stinkin' violin cos' I ain't had no opportunities."

/mini-rant

FireCat

Reaction score
When I was younger, there were all sorts of things I wanted to learn, like how to play the piano (because my mom could) or learn to fight (because even in grade school, fights were not uncommon) but I was never given that opportunity because my parents are always busy and I'm not exactly well off =P
Have you ever asked your parents about it?

FireCat

Reaction score
Eh.. what the hell? ^ What have this do with my question?

Seriously, what's so dangerous to talk to parents about what you wanna do? Even if they were/are busy, it doesn't mean they can't encouraging you what you want to do." they can't read your mind" And if they have no money enough, then think about something else. camelCase isn't alone. Many other have the same issue.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score

Whooshed again. If you break down iPeez's trick question, he's actually relevant to what he said before you even replied.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Meh, my parents tried their best.
Your parents could have done a better job with your education, though, FC.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score

Seriously, what's so dangerous to talk to parents about what you wanna do? Even if they were/are busy, it doesn't mean they can't encouraging you what you want to do." they can't read your mind" And if they have no money enough, then think about something else. camelCase isn't alone. Many other have the same issue.

See you dont like me asking questions about your mom either. we're-done.com

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.