!= >= <= == ><

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
Hello got a few short questions:

1. means >5 smaller than 5 or greater than 5?
2. means = 5 only 5?
3. what means >=
4. what means <=
5. what in the world means !=

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
In my early years I was tought that I should look at it as a hungry mouth, which would always go for the highest number
So if the mouth is turned like this >5 it means greater then 5.

== equal to
>= greater than or equal to
<= less than or equal to
!= not equal to

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Here are some examples:

5 >= 3 is True. >= means greater than or equal, so "5 >= 3" is just another way to say: "5 is greater than or equal to 3". Since 5 is actually greater than 3, this is true.

So x >= y is True if x is either greater than y or the same as y. Otherwise it's False.

1 != 1 is False. != means not equal, so "1 != 1" is just another way to say: "1 is not equal to 1". That is obviously false since 1 is of course equal to 1.

Here are some more examples that you can try to figure out:

1. 8 < 0
2. 3 > 3
3. 4 >= 4
4. -1 == 1
5. 5 <= 5
6 7 <= 9

Here are the answers:
1. False. The question is if 8 is less than 0. This is false.
2. False. The question is if 3 is greater than 3, 3 can't be greater than itself, so it's false.
3. True. Since 4 is equal to 4, it fits in the "greater than or equal" comparison, so it's true.
4. False. -1 is not the same as 1, so they're not equal.
5. True. Same as with "4 >= 4". Since they're equal, they fit the "less than or equal" comparison.
6. True. "7 is less than or equal to 9.". Since 7 is less than 9, this is True.

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
think you're wrong X-Maul about the hungry mouth
if I see <5 I should think it's greater than 5 because the mouth wants to eat the 5

ok I understand now, but isn't this a little bit useless to create all?

think you would be able to make all things with the < and the >..... (smaller than and greater than)

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
think you're wrong X-Maul about the hungry mouth
if I see <5 I should think it's greater than 5 because the mouth wants to eat the 5
You will ofcourse always have an invisible variable decimal on the other side.
If it says <5 it will be x<5. So in this case the unknown decimal is lower than 5.
ok I understand now, but isn't this a little bit useless to create all?

think you would be able to make all things with the < and the >..... (smaller than and greater than)
This is purely for being easier. You could say >74, but it's easier to say >=75.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
This is purely for being easier. You could say >74, but it's easier to say >=75.
That is true for integers, but if you are using real numbers then that doesn't work.

The way I learnt to remember my greater than/less than symbols was to look at the symbol in terms of having a big side (the mouth side) and a small side (the pointy end). So in the case of x<y, x is on the small end of the symbol, so it must be smaller than y. Similarly, in the case of x>y, x is on the larger side of the symbol so it must be greater than y.

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
ok that's it

I can fillin some numbers but when it's about math, it goes way beyond my scale...

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Integers are whole numbers (1, 2, 3, 4 etc). Real numbers have decimal places (1.23, 3.543, 45.879 etc)

So in X-mauls example, if the value was 74.5 (a real number), 74.5 > 74 which is true, but 74.5 >= 75 is not true so they are not the same thing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.