Environment 160-square-mile chunk of western Antarctica collapses

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A chunk of Antarctic ice about seven times the size of Manhattan suddenly collapsed, putting an even greater portion of glacial ice at risk, scientists said Tuesday.

Satellite images show the runaway disintegration of a 160-square-mile chunk in western Antarctica, which started February 28. It was the edge of the Wilkins ice shelf and has been there for hundreds, maybe 1,500 years.

This is the result of global warming, said British Antarctic Survey scientist David Vaughan.

Because scientists noticed satellite images within hours, they diverted satellite cameras and even flew an airplane over the ongoing collapse for rare pictures and video.

Last edited:

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Ahh yes, lets blame it on global warming. The penguins had absolutely NOTHING to do with this. Nope, Nada.

Narwy

I Hate Owls. period
Reaction score
global warming my ass, here in finland is now -5 celsius and hell of a wind and snowstorm that i've never seen in this time of year.

usually in this time of year is atleast +5 celsius, and almost no snow in sight at all.

i'd say global freezing

Reaction score
Uberplayer agrees with Narwynoob.

I have to row there with my boat and lead it to Finland ;O!

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
Woah, 10 degrees in difference?
That's.... dangerous...

Here in Indonesia, flood is getting higher and higher.
Usually it doesn't / rarely flood this high, but now it's happening like every year.
Fortunately, Jakarta (my city) is safe :D for now

Turnip

Reaction score
Global Warming my ass. The world has just recently come out of an ice age, of course it is going to be warmer.

A

aznsteph

Seriously, its not global warming at all, its freezing in Montreal ryt now but today it was okay... So cold ==' and were in march

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.