2 graphic cards on one monitor?

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I heard some time ago that having 2 graphic cards running on one monitor would boost performance. After doing some reasearch today I got mixed answers. Some said it was not possible and would only work for 2 monitors rather than 1. Others said some programs took advantage of this feature and it would seperate the work load of both graphic cards evenly. I was wondering, would it boost the performance of games graphics on my computer if I had the proper mother board to support 2 graphic cards running at once for one screen?

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
The technologies you are referring to are called Scalable Link Interface (SLI) for Nvidia graphics cards and CrossFire for AMD graphics cards. If you search SLI and CrossFire you might be able to find better results.
As for performance boosts, you can expect quite a bit from a properly configured setup. Both technologies are getting mature enough to where you can expect 90 - 95% increases in performance on average and possibly higher depending on what you are running.
Generally the requirement is that you have two identical cards and that the motherboard supports the specific one you are going for (SLI or CrossFire). Then it is a matter of installing the updated driver from the manufacturer and setting it up in the configuration. Obviously the motherboard itself needs to have two PCI Express x16 2.0 slots or more in order to handle two cards.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Looking at crossfire, it seems much more efficient because it doesn't require the exact same GPU, only the same GPU of the generation. So if my graphic card starts to suck later on, I can buy a better one of the generation and run them both. I still keep getting mixed answers and wikipedia doesn't cover this topic. It also seems a cheaper thing to do so I guess im going to try it out once i start getting some money :p

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I would recommend looking at an article that does tests/benchmarking. I found one on Tom's hardware shack here. If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, at least check out the conclusion page(s). I would also recommend looking up your specific card, as well.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Wow those are some sick results. From what I understand they use one monitor but they keep upping the resolution right? If so, that works perfectly for me. Thanks a lot :DD

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Wow those are some sick results. From what I understand they use one monitor but they keep upping the resolution right? If so, that works perfectly for me. Thanks a lot :DD

The monitors are all connected to the same graphics card, and the way multi-monitor works, is by creating an extended resolution, essentially the same thing as a larger resolution. Graphics cards never have specific monitors they're in charge of, they just all work together to generate the one giant picture. If you have multi-monitors setup, try taking a screenshot, and then looking at the result in paint. ;)

As far as what they're testing, it's mostly just upping the quality of the games/software, as well as increasing the resolution.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> it doesn't require the exact same GPU, only the same GPU of the generation. So if my graphic card starts to suck later on, I can buy a better one of the generation and run them both
I've heard the fastest card will slow down to the slower cards speed. So if you're going to use SLI/Crossfire, you'll essentially be wasting potential/money if you're not using two identical cards.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
I've heard the fastest card will slow down to the slower cards speed.

Definitely makes sense that it would, and even if it didn't, your computer is only as fast as your slowest part.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I've heard the fastest card will slow down to the slower cards speed. So if you're going to use SLI/Crossfire, you'll essentially be wasting potential/money if you're not using two identical cards.

this is true, but they cards don't have to be identical - i.e. the can be from different brands with different coolers/etc.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
well my reason to get crossfire is to get a decent graphic card that can run basically anything of this generation and once the graphics improve, rather than buying a brand new graphic card, just buy the same one to boost performance. You save a bit of money because after a while, the cost of the graphic card will decrease so by the time you need it its going to be like half priced.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> just buy the same one to boost performance.

You know, I had that same plan myself. Unfortunately for me, I picked the GTX 295, which isn't even available for retail anymore. You can only find them on Ebay or similar. So just keep an eye on the availability of your card. Some stay around longer than others.

Exfiltrate

Reaction score

well my reason to get crossfire is to get a decent graphic card that can run basically anything of this generation and once the graphics improve, rather than buying a brand new graphic card, just buy the same one to boost performance. You save a bit of money because after a while, the cost of the graphic card will decrease so by the time you need it its going to be like half priced.

That's not that great of an idea. A single GPU card will be better, as later generation graphics cards come out the crossfire support for the previous generations usually suck. You will also probably encounter issues like micro-stutter, where as you would then be better off with a single card.

In most cases you could probably sell your previous card and upgrade to the newer generation while having similar financial expenditure. You would also have fewer issues with the single GPU in comparison to the dual GPU setup.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
That's not that great of an idea. A single GPU card will be better, as later generation graphics cards come out the crossfire support for the previous generations usually suck. You will also probably encounter issues like micro-stutter, where as you would then be better off with a single card.

In most cases you could probably sell your previous card and upgrade to the newer generation while having similar financial expenditure. You would also have fewer issues with the single GPU in comparison to the dual GPU setup.

this.

99% of the time people say they will buy a 2nd card later, but they don't - it really only makes sense to buy 2 at the start, since 2 medium cards will be cheaper and out-power 1 high-end card

the only thing that usually ends up happening is the older card becomes a dedicated physix card (for nvidia), or being given away/sold on e-bay

Edward7

Reaction score
Make sure you have a compatible motherboard and a minimum off 450 watts of power supply. A LCD monitor can be a boost high performance of 2 GPUs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.