(2012) Prometheus: what on Earth has Ridley Scott created?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Yeah, what on Earth has Ridley Scott created eh?

Alien-1979-007.jpg

Ridley Scott's Alien (1979) – his next film, Prometheus, will apparently be set in the same universe but will not be a prequel

Hmm not a prequel?

Read Moar Here.

Original Release Date = June 8, 2012

Plot Outline = “Ridley Scott, director of “Alien” and “Blade Runner,” returns to the genre he helped define. With PROMETHEUS, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.”

OMG "Prometheus" goin' on a mission! It's true!

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
He has created... a film.

Not a prequel, as he said, I believe. This should be interesting.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Maybe it is a prequel...

First trailer!

HD @ Apple Trailers

[youtube]UPW015u8m-g&hd=1[/youtube]

I love that trailer style he has, same thing with the Aliens trailer. Not as impressive since it was done for Aliens already, but still cool.

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
Eh it looks along the same lines as the Alien movies. Humans leave Earth, find a planet, find aliens and kill them all. Alien films bore me nowadays. I wasn't overly impressed with The Thing (2011), the prequel to the 1982 'The Thing'.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Eh it looks along the same lines as the Alien movies. Humans leave Earth, find a planet, find aliens and kill them all. Alien films bore me nowadays. I wasn't overly impressed with The Thing (2011), the prequel to the 1982 'The Thing'.

Well, it is Ridley Scott, :). I don't know if this is aliens though. Again, he said it's not a prequel so not sure if it will involve them xenomorphs again.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
[youtube]HHcHYisZFLU[/youtube]

New Trailer!

Looks pretty good to me. Some people are unsure of it, but I don't know, they're still going to see it, so I'll just keep my mouth shut till I watch it. No point judging it now before it even comes out.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
[youtube]J7GQvXuQJVI[/youtube]

What a long and incredible trailer. This film seems to be getting better with each new trailer, really. I'm actually pretty excited for this, could be one of the top films this year hopefully.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I saw this tonight, and though I had high hopes - what with it being Ridley Scott and all (Bladerunner remains my favourite film, ever) - I still felt a bit pessimistic going into it. I have to say though, I should've realised Scott would pull it off - it's not amazing, but it is definitely a great film. I should probably tell you at this point I haven't seen any of the Alien films, so I can't compare them.

This film is one that tends to raise more questions than it answers - things that are brought up are not mentioned again, instead leaving you to ponder their significance. This is not a bad thing, as leaving things open to interpretation is all part and parcel of a good film (take Bladerunner for example). Some things that should be explained, however, are not, and that is a little bit of a let down, but nothing that seriously impacts on the film.

One of the highlights of this film lies in the performances of its lead characters. Michael Fassbender channels his best Roy Batty impression as David, the crew's android, while Noomi Rapace - of whom I was not too fond previously - did a great job of warming me to her. Both of their characters are well written, and you spend as much of the movie trying to guess what David's underlying motives are as trying to second-guess the plot. The rest of the cast does admirably enough, though I still don't think I'll be seeing Charlize Theron in a film where she plays a warm and friendly character anytime soon.

As for the overall plot of the film, it does hold together quite well, though it becomes a touch loose and unnecessarily complex at times - indeed, some strands are a little too crazy to fit in with the rest of it, but they play along okay to the point of acceptability. I must give a mention to the visuals too, which are stunning in a subtle way - whereas Avatar makes a point of walloping you over the head as it tries to say "look at me!", this goes for a more purposeful and striking effect. I especially liked that some of the various objects were instead full blown props instead of cheap CGI.

One point I will make is that, in grand Hollywood tradition, it goes for setting itself up for an inevitable sequel instead of drawing a satisfying conclusion at its natural denouement. Having said all that, I really quite enjoyed Prometheus, and I'd definitely recommend seeing it - regardless of whether or not you've seen Alien.
[4/5]

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Nice to see that it's doing well. No time now, but I can't wait to watch this when it releases on DVD.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
This film is one that tends to raise more questions than it answers - things that are brought up are not mentioned again, instead leaving you to ponder their significance. This is not a bad thing, as leaving things open to interpretation is all part and parcel of a good film (take Bladerunner for example). Some things that should be explained, however, are not, and that is a little bit of a let down, but nothing that seriously impacts on the film.

Saw this last weekend and i do agree with wiseman it raises a lot of questions which no doubt will be leading to sequels which sounds like the raise of another franchise.

Though it is not necessary to watch the Aliens sequels, however you will gain a grand appreciation for this film if you did as it explores the universe before the the Alien franchise kicks off. It's almost a prequel to Aliens but not really connected, leaving you pondering about whether this affected the outcome of certain aspects of the franchise.

Coming into this film i expected it to be a slight horror and thriller film like Aliens, it is however much more sci fi and a little thriller cause this films gets in the more technical aspects of the plot. If you have watched aliens you should be able to expect those moments that Ridley scott puts in.. that sly dog, almost scared me but i was too familiar to whats about to happen.

Btw who thinks charlize theron's character is actually a robot :O. Me and my friend were discussing about the film and we bought up the point that she calls him father but the david calls her mom, now it could be expected that david calls her mom beacuse he wants to or is programmed to but what about her actually being the first robot that Weyland made?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.