3DS Max Texture Question

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I have a texture I apply to a plane and works just great. (See Image Support).
When I use this plane (model), in the game I need to be able to set its width and height, and have it keep the images scale according to the width of the plane and repeat going down the plane. I will be creating many of these on the fly and wont know the length and width of this intill the game is running.

Better exampled in Goal Image below.

Any thoughts? Or am i going about this all wrong? I am assuming i can set the length and width of it. I know i can scale it.. If i am going about this wrong, any suggestions on how i should go about this.

More Info:

These Are Support Beams for roller coaster maker. this will handle 0,15,30,45,60,75 pitch angles. and for the non 0 angles will have in additional texture between this and the track.

Attachments

• support.PNG
    support.PNG
    35.3 KB · Views: 479
  • Goal.png
    Goal.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 393

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
In OpenGL you can specify that the texture is supposed to repeat itself in either direction when the texture-coordinates are leaving its boundary box.
So one possible solution would be to have the horizontal tex-coords always between [0, 1] and simply scale the vertex positions to stretch it, while the vertical tex-coords will go from [0, height-of-model] with the texture parameter GL_WRAP_T set to GL_REPEAT.

Of course if you do this you can no longer use the texture inside a texture atlas or spritesheet.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Ok So the point your getting at is this isnt done in 3DS Max and some how changed in the game. I need to find the tools by the render to handle what I want.

In My Case, WebGL, And Unity. So Ill need to dig into those to see what can be done, and likely something similar to what you proposed be done in openGL.

Thanks Ill give that a shot, currently Focusing on the WebGL with three.js so ill see if I can find a solution like yours.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I dont know if you can do this in 3DS Max too. I never used that tool.
I just know that this is "fairly easy" with openGL so there got to be a way somewhere.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.