5.1 working in test, but nowhere else

wellwish3r

wishes wells.
Reaction score
So i installed Windows 7 the other day, and everything worked fine, except for one thing. My speakers. I set them to 5.1 in the control pannel, and when doing the test they work fine, however when i play a movie, or a game only the 2 front speakers work. What strikes me as odd is that it works in the test, otherwise i would have said its the speakers or the driver....
The speakers are Creative Inspire T6100

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The movie has the have a 5.1 audio track.
And the game usually has to have it enabled in its audio settings.

wellwish3r

wishes wells.
Reaction score
it was a 5.1 movie (and it was set to 5.1 audio output), and it doesnt work with music either that played 5.1 yesterday when i still had XP. The game was Star Wars The Force Unleashed, so i assumed it has 5.1 (eventhough it is the worst port ive ever seen)

EDIT: Now when i for example plug the rear speakers into the front speaker plug, they work, same goes for the center speaker. Maybe that helps.

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it could be a driver/configuration problem.

When you selected 5.1 output from your movie, are you sure it was being sent to the 5.1 analog outputs on your sound card and not a coaxial/optical digital output?

As for the game, as sqrage said, you need to check the game's audio settings. Most games need to have surround sound enabled.

wellwish3r

wishes wells.
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it could be a driver/configuration problem.

When you selected 5.1 output from your movie, are you sure it was being sent to the 5.1 analog outputs on your sound card and not a coaxial/optical digital output?

As for the game, as sqrage said, you need to check the game's audio settings. Most games need to have surround sound enabled.

The game has no option for that, so i just assume its automatic. My music allways played 5.1 on XP so it is not that whatever im playing is not 5.1. So im pretty sure its not just that 5.1 output is not possible for whatever im playing.

As for the driver im using the SoundMAX2000B_Audio_V610X6585_Windows7.
Motherboard:Asus P5B Series with an ADI AD1988 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC (thats what it says on the box)

Lastly what is kind of odd: When I enable the sonic focus, and tune up the "Solo Clarity" slider, i can start hearing the rear speakers, but i have not found a way to get the Center speaker to work. The problem with that tho is that it makes the sound sound weird...

So in a way i either have a crappy quality "4.1" system, or good quality 2.1 (Base always works)

Sonic Focus Screenshot

EDIT: Okay this is really weird. Now it works, i did absolutely nothing, except for play a game of DotA with a couple of friends... anyways, if it keeps working thanks to all those who tried to help, if it does not keep on working, ill be back.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.