5400 vs 7200 RPM HDD

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a new HDD. I was initially planning on getting the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, as it's cheap and cheerful. Just as I was about to purchase it, I noticed the Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB HDD, which is much better value for money in terms of price/GB, but has a slower spindle speed.

So the actual question: How much slower is a 5400 RPM HDD compared to a 7200 RPM one? The drive will be used solely for storage of videos, music and images. I won't be installing any programs (let alone an OS) on it. Will I notice any significant difference? Am I better off with the faster, lower price/GB HDD?

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
While a hard drive with a high RPM will improve overall computer performance and especially the time to start programs and transfer data, upgrading a computer's hard drive will likely not lead to large increase in performance. When a computer runs, the hard drive stores data to RAM, which is able to transfer it more quickly to the processor for use. As a result, the processing and multitasking speed of a computer is more often limited by inadequate RAM or a slow processor, than hard drive RPM. High-RPM hard drives are often used by hard core gamers and techies that like to have computers which operate as fast as technology will allow, but for normal users a hard drive average RPM and high storage capacity should be satisfactory.
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4928941_rpm-affect-hard-drive.html

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
compare and decide

generally you use a smaller fast HDD for your system/apps and a larger slow drive for your media (pictures, videos, backups, etc.) since the performance of that one doesn't really matter as much

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
I hope I'm not too late.
I have that 2TB hard drive and it is comparable to the older 7200rpm drives.

That is to say, it flies! I would love to see a 7200rpm version of it and see the speeds it has to offer. For price/GB you can't beat it. I use it to store most of my media on it. If it's raw speed speed you're after for say video rendering, then you're better off with a Raid 0 setup using 7200rpm drives or faster, or an SSD...

For a 2TB drive, you won't be disappointed. For 2TB 7200rpm alternatives you'll be looking at the WD Black drives.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm well aware of what to use faster/slower HDDs for. I just wanted to know to what extent a 5400 RPM drive is actually slower, since I only use an SSD and a 7200 RPM HDD.

> compare and decide
Thanks for this. I've bought the slower, 2TB hard drive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.