Report 79 Percent of IT Administrators Want to Quit Due to Stress

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
According to the results of GFI Software's third annual IT Admin Stress Survey, conducted by Opinion Matters, fully 79 percent of IT staff are actively considering leaving their jobs due to job-related stress.

That's a significant increase from 2013, when just 57 percent of respondents said they were actively considering leaving.

The survey of 200 U.S. IT administrators also found that 38 percent of IT staff have missed social functions due to issues at work, and 35 percent have missed time with their families due to work demands on their personal time. One quarter of respondents said they've seen a relationship severely damaged or fail due to their job.

Twenty-three percent of respondents say they work between eight and 12 hours of unpaid overtime each week.
One third of respondents say they regularly lose sleep over work pressures, one quarter say they've suffered stress-related illnesses, and 17 percent say they're in poor physical condition due to work demands.
Thirty percent of respondents say they're the most stressed person in their social or family group.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Twenty-three percent of respondents say they work between eight and 12 hours of unpaid overtime each week
Oh, that sounds pretty stressful.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
A sample size of 200 seems pretty low to me.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Eight to twelve hours? Fuck that I have to work sixty before I even get into overtime. I feel like these it guys are just getting pussier.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Eight to twelve hours? Fuck that I have to work sixty before I even get into overtime. I feel like these it guys are just getting pussier.

They mean they work 8 to 12 hours into when they should be getting overtime. Not just only 8 to 12 hours. But if the case were what you said, I would agree haha.

Varine

Reaction score
Yeah. So they are working maybe 50 hours or so, and in some, probably minor cases, not getting overtime (which is also illegal as fuck for most companies so that just makes them fucking dumb, no one's fault but theirs on that shit).

My job, I do not GET overtime like that. My company legally does not need to pay overtime until I work over sixty hours in a week (it's actually 120 hours per pay period, so technically I could work 80 hours one week and 40 the next and not get overtime. It happens sometimes, very annoying week. I drink a lot those weeks). I, obviously, signed up for this shit, but so did they. If they want to quit, they can walk in there one day and go fucking quit, problem solved. If you are not willing to do that, there is a pretty limited amount of complaints I think you're allowed to have.

Last edited:

Varine

Reaction score
Yeah, which is why I said 'limited' and not 'none'.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
which is also illegal as fuck for most companies so that just makes them fucking dumb, no one's fault but theirs on that shit

actually IT is under a special law (in the U.S.) that allows companies to make full-time employees work more than 40 hours a week without extra pay - stuff like managers/owners are also lumped into that category

Varine

Reaction score
Then they are on salary and have even less reason to complain because they took that on themselves.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.