Report 90% of drivers would consider self-driving cars to save on insurance, survey says

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Nine of 10 licensed drivers would consider buying a self-driving car if it meant paying a lot less for insurance, a new survey by consumer Web site CarInsurance.com says.

The survey asked consumers if they would buy -- or consider buying -- an autonomous vehicle if they could get an 80 percent discount on their auto insurance.

Thirty-four percent of respondents said they "very likely" would buy a self-driving vehicle and 56 percent said they would consider it if such an insurance discount was offered.

But saving money was not the only factor. About 20 percent of respondents said they would buy a self-driving vehicle if one was available with or without an insurance discount.

Despite nonautomotive companies such as Google working to develop autonomous vehicles, most respondents (54 percent) said they were more inclined to trust an automaker than a software company to develop the vehicles.

Eighteen percent said they would trust electric vehicle maker Tesla Motors, 15 percent said they would trust Google or Microsoft, and 12 percent responded that they would trust consumer product companies such as Apple or Samsung.

Paywall

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
"If you get in an accident" Is the car company at fault.. If the driver less car gets into an accident? If so, they're gonna get sued like crazy. LOL

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Duh, if the car is driving itself I didn't exactly cause it to crash, did I?

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
I bet the car will be driving very slowly and carefully to avoid such accident, unless of course, someone crashed on you.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I would take it anyways - just having the time I can do stuff instead of driving would be a benefit, plus no more need for a designated decoy

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
So, who would pay the insurance?

The driver pays insurance, and the insurance company pays the victim. Same way it always works, I don't see why it would be different. You're choosing to let the car drive for you, so you're taking the risk of it getting into an accident by taking it on the road. The self-driving cars probably crash at a rate of about one one-hundredth of that of a person-operated vehicle - as a result, the insurance companies would lower the premiums substantially because, statistically, there's a much lower chance for an accident to occur. Honestly, it seems like a win-win-win scenario: people are getting into fewer accidents, they're paying less on insurance premiums, we get to be lazy and stop paying attention to the roads... hell, even the insurance companies win because they don't have to pay out as often, even if their income comes in at a more gradual pace. That could be considered a loss 'cuz fuck insurance companies, but the people that work there are just people too and the person that owns it isn't doing anything differently than I would be if I were in their shoes, so wins all around!

FireCat

Reaction score
hell, even the insurance companies win because they don't have to pay out as often, even if their income comes in at a more gradual pace.
But this may include reducing number of employees. Well, hmm stop paying attention to the roads.. That's quite dangerous.

KMilz

Reaction score
But this may include reducing number of employees. Well, hmm stop paying attention to the roads.. That's quite dangerous.

Yeah, some of them might lose jobs, so there's some damage I wasn't considering. But as for not paying attention to the roads, that's something people do all the time. Having a computer doing it for you will probably give everyone better chances.

FireCat

Reaction score
Yeah, some of them might lose jobs, so there's some damage I wasn't considering. But as for not paying attention to the roads, that's something people do all the time. Having a computer doing it for you will probably give everyone better chances.
Yeah Maybe, But Imagine what failure would look like! The car stop In the middle of the highway.. and will not restart. Or Just fail to stop at pedestrian crossing/stop signs etc.. Just because of a bug or something.. So, you can't really be too lazy LOL Btw: How much would that cost to fix it? Maybe they can't even fix it Hmm

KMilz

Reaction score
Yeah Maybe, But Imagine what failure would look like! The car stop In the middle of the highway.. and will not restart. Or Just fail to stop at pedestrian crossing/stop signs etc.. Just because of a bug or something.. So, you can't really be too lazy LOL Btw: How much would that cost to fix it? Maybe they can't even fix it Hmm

Right, but you're acting like that will happen more often than human failure occurs when it sounds like it'll work out just the opposite. I can't be sure that they'll prevent accidents or work better than the average driver, but there's more evidence pointing toward that conclusion than otherwise so it's probably worth giving it a shot.

FireCat

Reaction score
Right, but you're acting like that will happen more often than human failure occurs when it sounds like it'll work out just the opposite. .
Nah I can't say it will be more failure. But accidents will occur. "No human involved"
There's no doubt about it!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
people don't seem to get that having jobs replaced by computers/machines is a good thing - it forces people to re-train into more productive jobs that help move us forward

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.