Report 95% of Music Downloads are Illegal

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) has released its report on Digital Music 2009. According to the report (.PDF). It concludes that despite initiatives by the music industry, 95% of music downloads continue to be illegal.

Last edited:

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
Generally the music I 'pirate' would be the stuff I would never buy anyway if I wasn't 'pirating' it.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 'majority' would've been unsurprising. But I didn't think it'd be this bad.

Many people who use computers are too inexperienced to even download things illegally.
That's probably the 5%.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
The 'majority' would've been unsurprising. But I didn't think it'd be this bad.

Many people who use computers are too inexperienced to even download things illegally.
That's probably the 5%.

I fit in that 5% just because I am just a tad bit paranoid :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> I collect albums.
That's not downloading it then, is it?
(Assuming you buy the actual case with the CD)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am not extremely suprised by the numbers, because I know a lot of people who do it. I only download music which I don't particularly want, but I would like to hear and the rest of the time I go and buy the albums/singles.

Exfyre

hmm...
Reaction score
so true. 95% isn't too surprising. more often then not I think "Spend $10 on an album, or spend $0 on 20 albums?"
seriously, if you want illegal music downloading to stop, make music free (or a nickel a song). Neither is going to happen and neither will pirating stop.

duyen

Reaction score
I'd pay for a music for a nickel song, and I think bands would make a lot more if they made everything cheap.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I think music companies should spread viruses. I think they should make a bunch of files open to the public (but secretly of course, so innocent computers won't be harmed), but inside the files will be music and nasty viruses. These viruses will be so wretched that no one will want to take the risk and download music anymore. Those few who can fight off the viruses will have to work for the music. The companies can make jobs by hiring programmers to constantly update the viruses and make them only affect music players. These viruses will also will have so many complex features that it'd be nearly impossible to find and use on other users. The companies can also pay anti-virus programs to not solve the problem. Thus the only competition would be the small groups of hackers who are too stubborn to stop.

Then another feature this virus should have is to copy all illegally downloaded songs. Find the source of those illegally downloaded songs and send an email threatening the user to stop downloading illegally or they will receive a heavy fine for their crimes. This will provide the FBI plenty of evidence against the person, and if it's a minor doing all these stupid things. Then their parents will get a harsh wake up call when they're taken to court to face a jury and a fine of $50,000.

Wow. This is evil, but it's great. Of course, these are all ideals. None of this could happen now.

I'd pay for a music for a nickel song, and I think bands would make a lot more if they made everything cheap.

Do you think bands want to work more than they do now? That'd be torture.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score

I have to admit its a little pricey but buying the CD is cheaper then ever now, because everyone is doing illegal copies. Instead of going to the story (like me and a few others) and actually buying them! So more money for me :D (A little Ironic now isn't it :p)

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I fit under the 5% because I believe in ethics.

I don't, but even if I did, I wouldn't want to put money in the pockets of the unethical record labels.

Record labels rob artists of their creations and give them a few pennies for every record they sell.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I don't, but even if I did, I wouldn't want to put money in the pockets of the unethical record labels.

Record labels rob artists of their creations and give them a few pennies for every record they sell.

Nooo. I know quite a few people that work at New York record labels, through my uncle, and they're all great people who know the artists really well and are losing a lot of business right now while still keeping an affordable commission so that artists can produce.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score

Two wrongs don't make a right. ^_^

I don't know any record label companies personally. I'm sure there are people out there that suck out the creativity of artists, but that's how it goes.

I don't think that these two things are strongly related. The ethical (as opposed to legal) arguments against "piracy" and other forms of information sharing are not that compelling.

I'm not sure what you mean. I just said I don't download illegal songs because I believe in doing the right thing. You don't think it's right to buy CD's legally online? I'm confused.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry
As a rule of the thumb, any and all statistics that came from IFPI, RIAA, MPAA and friends are not to be taken seriously.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.