Health A ‘game-changer’ for millions of Americans: You can now buy hearing aids over the counter

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
CNN — Pete Couste said it was his wife who first noticed that he was turning up the TV louder than she liked.

“I couldn’t hear the words in movies as much anymore,” admitted Couste, who lives just outside Washington, DC.

Watching TV isn’t Couste’s only problem. In his church choir, he can’t always hear his part and get the pitch right. It’s also affected his work at the Fire Safety Research Institute, a nonprofit that generates safety research. The 61-year-old said he feels less effective judging audio quality when his team makes their life-saving videos for firefighters.

“It is affecting all parts of my life,” he said.

He saw an audiologist who said he needed hearing aids, but they would have cost him more than $6,000. “I thought, ‘Maybe this can wait,’ ” Couste said.

That was seven years ago.

The wait may be over for Couste and millions of other Americans. On Monday, for the first time, adults with mild to moderate hearing loss in the US will be able to buy over-the-counter hearing aids. Those who are under 18 or who have severe hearing loss will still need a prescription.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Cool - hearing aids are very useful even for people who do not have hearing problems.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.