A Brief Commentary on Something

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
Recently in my English class, we've been reading Like Water For Chocolate. We got the assignment to write a short story, the only requirements being that it needed to incorporate a recipe, and magical realism (like LWFC). Here's what I wrote, tell me what you think.

A Brief Commentary on Something
*PB&J Recipe Included Within*

Ingredients:

2 Slices of your favorite bread
2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter
2 Tablespoons of Jelly

Preparation:

First select one piece of bread. Next, apply a consistent layer of peanut butter across the entire surface of one side of the bread. It does not matter how much peanut butter you use. Two tablespoons is just a tentative measurement – a suggestion. To think, there was probably some man somewhere that arbitrarily plugged in numbers to find the formula for the perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich for his book. Hopefully it was worth it. Yet most of the best opportunities in life come from randomness. I found throughout my life that the greatest gifts are unexpected.

The ring of my alarm screams for me to get up and start my day, but all I can do is lie down and stare at the ceiling. My life was going to be at its pinnacle today. The events of today would be the most notable of my life. This knowledge sends ice up through my veins. All my hard work has come to this moment. This 19th of July, 1969 would set in motion the events that would change the world. The bed around me became drenched as my veins began to thaw. Sitting up from the bed was all I needed to do; I was ready.

I should stop for a moment, however. I’m a bit far ahead of myself. Stories are meant to start from the beginning. I was born a little while back in North Carolina with the name John Morozov. My family had originally been from Moscow, Russia, until the Soviets took over. Back then the Morozov name was one of a wealthy family, with decent connections to the czar. Communist regime comes into power; suddenly we are “bourgeoisie”, evil men who just wish to suck the blood of the people’s nation. My family fled to the United States, to live the American dream. We became poor. Needless to say, my family has an anti-Soviet history.

My youth was just a huge game to me. Go to school, come home, eat, sleep, and repeat. Go to school, come home, eat, sleep, and repeat. Go to school, come home, eat, sleep, and repeat. I never really was too much concerned with what was, but what could be. I would imagine a place in my head, and I would wish I was there. I found friends with the same interest as me. What you may see as a pile of junk, I saw as the possibility of a foreign Marine outpost. We’d sell tickets to our little “worlds”. Not a bad way to make money.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve worked in numerous occupations. There has been too many to tell. However, I found at one point in my life that I had a gift. Movie Sets. I could make anything look real; past experiences helped a bit. As far as creating a realistic setting goes, I was your man. You ever seen Night of Zombies or Martian Brigade? Yeah, I doubted it. For all the anti-Sovietism built into my blood, my last name didn’t help me at all.

Morozov. Russian. Soviet. Communist.

That’s all people see. To your average American, I was close enough to Khrushchev. They probably thought I called Stalin for casual conversation every Sunday. I radiated the scent of Russia. I would walk into job interviews and they would be covering their noses. Get this communist spy out of my office! Typical. Hollywood wouldn’t have anyone on their credit lists with the name Morozov. They might lose sales. I did get jobs, but it’s not like I’m producing Planet of the Apes. As I said though, I was the best. I didn’t have some secret method on building my sets, nor did I use some secret material. My method was simple: I poured my heart and soul into every piece of the set. Actors would walk in, in the morning and be dropping their jaws at what I had made. It’s like an alien world had sprung up overnight (I did that once). Trouble is with pouring your heart into something like this is that it takes it out of you. Five times I’ve been rushed to the emergency with abnormally pale skin and a weak heartbeat. I’d say those were my five best works.

The trick to staying healthy is eating. A bit of sugar and protein at lunch and you can move mountains. The Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich is God’s gift to Earth. Its recipe is probably as old as the Bible itself. Step 1: select a slice of bread. It can be any bread of your choosing. Now layer a smooth sediment of jelly onto one side of the bread. Be sure to make the jelly layer completely smooth. An inconsistent area could impact the entire sandwich. I’ve found that making Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches is much like making movie sets. You must be perfect. No inconsistencies. No flaws. Period. If a Brazilian rainforest looks like Central Park, anywhere, then you have major problems.

This passion for my work came naturally to me. I really never thought anything of it. A few years back, I worked on a film called, Russian Winter. It was a low budget film, and I doubt it came to your local theater. I worked hard on it, and despite limited funds (and having never stepped foot in the Soviet Union in my life) I constructed a believable Russian town, placed on the edge of a military base. It turns out the film somehow reached the eyes of some poor CIA worker, who believed that the film was shot actually in the USSR. They studied the film for three months, hoping to gain some intelligence on the Soviet military. The government figured out the truth eventually. Someone was fired, and I was hired.

I was in the supermarket, shopping for vegetables. I remember as I stood by one of the large bins by the wall, meticulously examining every head of cabbage, in search of which one to buy. Towards the center, I saw a disheveled cabbage which seemed to have white dots on it. This would be hardly the specimen to be worth my money, however something odd occurred.

“John.”

Its common human procedure to ignore vegetables that speak to you. The first step to a mental institution is admitting you’re crazy. Continuing on with whatever you were doing is usually the best option.

“How would you like to serve your country, and work for the United States government?” Yes.

The answer was involuntary; I said it before even thinking. Some opportunities, whether offered by man or cabbage, are necessary to take. A short conversation later, and I had an address and a name. I was to meet a man by the name of Ted at Warehouse 3 on the coast, just at the outskirts of the town. I decided to go ahead with it. I didn’t really have anything to lose. Anyway, if anybody could mask a man to look like a vegetable, it was the government. But there was still one major question burned into my head: What did the United States government want with me?

Later that same day, I drove up to Warehouse 3. A lone man stood in front of the building, wearing nonchalant clothing and sporting dark glasses. It’s people like this, you know, the ones that try to do everything to be as nondescript as possible, they’re the ones you can always remember the most. He flashed some badge verifying that he was, in fact, important in some way. I shook his hand. This was Ted.

In 1962, President Kennedy boldly announced that the U.S. would put a man on the moon in this decade. If Kennedy had a plan in his head for how to do this, he should have stored it in a safer place. Not only was America losing the space race, she was gassed. The Soviets held their superiority with an Iron grip. We simply did not have the technology to beat them. However, if there was any country that would be daring enough to put a man on the moon, without actually going there, it was ours.

Ted told me this. My life now had a direct connection to the secrecy and success of the mission. The moon needed to be on Earth, and it needed to be in Ted’s jurisdiction now. I had been offered a job that only I could fully appreciate. I had to create the greatest set of my career, which would be taped, and broadcasted worldwide as the U.S. landing on the moon. This would also allow me to indirectly beat the Soviets, who had so hurt my family in the past. Yeah, I’d say this job was made for me.

The government’s reasons for selecting me were a bit less glorifying. They needed someone good, who could create a flawless Moon. I had already fooled the U.S., how hard could it be to fool the Russians? My name gave me an advantage as well. I even admit, Morozov sounds generically Russian. If things went south, and the plot was discovered, they could us me as a scapegoat, and I’d be labeled some kind of Soviet insurgent, hell-bent on smudging the name of liberty. If that happened, I’d probably be arrested, and jailed in a prison in the far jungles of somewhere.

Whether you say an opportunity or a curse was thrust upon me, it doesn’t matter. Life’s all a matter of perspective.
Step 2: select your next slice of bread. It shouldn’t be hard to find. If Step 1 has been completed successfully, there should only be one piece remaining to be chosen. Smother a layer of peanut butter onto bread. Inconsistencies and rough spots are fine. In fact, they are almost a key part of the sandwich.

Peanut butter and Moon’s surface look abnormally similar in texture sometimes. At some angles, it seems so beat up and rough, while at others, it is very smooth. Perspective I guess. I spent hours, days, months, working on that set. Every possible material was brought in to make a worthy lunar surface. I used gravel, dirt, charcoal; anything I could as recourse. A few inquisitive minds must be wondering, what about peanut butter, and all of its textural wonders? You could just paint that, right? Well, that’s classified. Check the public records in sixty years or so.

Ted was usually not to be seen during the work. He made his rounds though. He always wanted status reports on the project, “commentaries” as he called them. He continued to be as nondescript as possible, refusing to use names or details when asking for his status reports. He’d want a, “Commentary on the something”, just the basics. Ted’s supposed secrecy would be more revealing to a stranger than anything else. During weeks that Ted was in town, I swear I could see the stars creating an arrow pointing down at Warehouse 3, “Secret Government Project” written across the stars in the sky. It would only take a few blinks for this to go away.

I think this puts us back at the beginning. Me lying on my bed, the alarm clock having stopped its annoying ring at this point, my flashback outlasting it. When preparing for something an event that is life changing, even the most basic tasks are noteworthy.

I can always remember that this was the shirt I wore that day. These are the shoes that are to be entrusted with enormous sentimental value because of this event.

We have done all the taping for the airing tomorrow. All preparations have been made. As far as the public knows, we are already on the way to the moon. We just need one final shot: the lunar module landing. The contraption slowly lowers onto the surface.

Three feet. Two feet. One Foot.

Step 3: Combine the two slices of bread. The jelly and peanut butter ends should meet in the middle. You can take your time. Slowly unite the pieces of bread.

Impact.

The lunar module hits the ground. The shot is perfect. Tomorrow, June 20th, 1969, this shot will air. I have done what I never thought was possible. I have created the greatest work of my life, something that will deceive viewers worldwide. I got back at the nation who hurt my family, while serving my own nation. I was also kindly paid a large sum of money for my efforts. I have the American dream. That’s the end of my story. I can’t think of any morals to be learned. Not really a teary, heart warming conclusion. Well, in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.

That’s a good ending.

quraji

zap
Reaction score
Wow, that's really good (and creative). I really liked it. What English class? College?

Some comments:

First, you open with instructions to spread peanut butter consistently, but then later have "Step 1" that entails spreading jelly. Also you write "You must be perfect. No inconsistencies.", but the next step is about (again) spreading peanut butter, but this time it is okay to be inconsistent. Kind of inconsistent, eh? :p

"This 19th of July, 1969 would set in motion the events that would change the world."

After finishing, I wondered why the paragraph was about the day before the broadcast - wouldn't the character be experiencing this on the day of the broadcast?

"My youth was just a huge game to me. Go to school, come home, eat, sleep, and repeat."

Aren't games supposed to be fun?

"In 1962, President Kennedy boldly announced that the U.S. would put a man on the moon in this decade. If Kennedy had a plan in his head for how to do this, he should have stored it in a safer place."

Black humor gold! :thup:

I like the "Step 3: ... Impact".

The conclusion seemed a little out of place - "Well, in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.". Maybe one last analogy between life and a PB&J? :D

I had some more stuff to say but I'm falling asleep in my chair, so I'll just say again that I enjoyed reading it, good job :thup:

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
First, you open with instructions to spread peanut butter consistently, but then later have "Step 1" that entails spreading jelly. Also you write "You must be perfect. No inconsistencies.", but the next step is about (again) spreading peanut butter, but this time it is okay to be inconsistent. Kind of inconsistent, eh?

The jelly symbolizes the perfection of his sets. The peanut butter is supposed to represent the roughness of the Moon. The steps kind of show the contrast in a PB&J.

"My youth was just a huge game to me. Go to school, come home, eat, sleep, and repeat."

Aren't games supposed to be fun?

Eh, yah, I guess that sentence doesn't really make any sense there...

The conclusion seemed a little out of place - "Well, in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.". Maybe one last analogy between life and a PB&J?

That last line was supposed to be a bit sarcastic. Using the same ending as Anne Frank kind of gives it the mock moral ending.

Wow, that's really good (and creative). I really liked it.
THX! :D comments wr helpful.

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
I really enjoyed reading this story nice work!

Found a typo paragraph 18 (from preparation)

"they could us me as a scape goat"

Otherwise everything else was awesome :thup: love how you incorporated the peanut butter and jelly sandwich creation. The one word "impact" was very effective.

Great work!
Avaleirra

quraji

zap
Reaction score
The jelly symbolizes the perfection of his sets. The peanut butter is supposed to represent the roughness of the Moon. The steps kind of show the contrast in a PB&J.

Well, I'm talking about this:
"First select one piece of bread. Next, apply a consistent layer of peanut butter across the entire surface of one side of the bread."

Then, later:
"Smother a layer of peanut butter onto bread. Inconsistencies and rough spots are fine. In fact, they are almost a key part of the sandwich."

:p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.