A day in history: Wc3campaigns.com shuts its doors, bids farewell

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
(Thanks to uberfoop for the heads-up).

It's official. The hugely popular Warcraft III community website wc3campaigns.com has closed its doors for good, shut down due to circumstances out of its control. Here is the official farewell post made on the site by Draco:

"At this point in time, it is no longer feasible to continue the development of Wc3campaigns. Due to some unforseen circumstances, the former server owner was no longer interested in maintaining the server that this domain was hosted on. Instead of removing the database completely, I will provide it in its current shape for anyone that is interested in searching the content. In addition, private messages will remain active. You may read your messages on this page. It is strongly recommended that you save all content on the site that you wish to be saved to another location. The new forum software will still be developed on this domain most likely, but it won't be ready for another year or so (it was never intended to be used on this site anyways). Thanks for visiting and supporting Wc3campaigns; I'll see you around~

- Draco"

While some will not be shedding a tear over this event, no one can deny the impact this site has had on the Warcraft III gaming community over the last few years. Established back in 2002, wc3campaigns has been a focal point for many of Warcraft III's aspiring map makers, who have visited the site to do things from learning the basics of mapping, right up to contributing their artistic and technical skills for large scale community mapping projects.

Many will argue the demise of wc3campaigns was a long-time coming, that it shouldn't have gone on for as long as it did. Internal political broils soured the noble fundamental principles upon which the site was created, and served to challenge all the good work that had arisen from its existence.

Though the absence of this website will likely not leave an unfillable hole in the community, at the end of the day everyone can agree that an integral part of Warcraft III's community history has now been changed forever.

Farewell, wc3campaigns. You will always be remembered.

http://www.wc3campaigns.com/index_main.vex#end

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why.

All the data is there; the database must be there; for some format of forums.

And they obviously wrote some code to read the database.

Why can't they just get PHPBB or VB, and write a code that dumps the data into new tables.

Or reinstall the software the current database is running on?

Why was it all in shambles and PM's not working; things not working?

If the software died, redo it.

UNLESS, this was all hand-written proprietary code. Now your screwed. But you can still dump the data into newer software with a (lengthy) MySQL script.

Hell, tell em I'll take it over and bring it all online.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
You've analysed it quite well from a technical point of view, I guess I should contribute by looking at it from an emotional point of view.

Were their hearts still in it?

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting.....

so what is different now then? Just the main page is gone?

edit: it won't let me log on anymore, don't know if that's different or if my account just got deleted sometime previously.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Just saw this other post on the main page:

"Effective 01 Decemeber 2005, all wc3campaigns subdomains and email addresses will be removed. The only exception for the time being is the Project Revolution subdomain. Please back up any content you wish to keep as all data will be removed.

- Admin"

I wonder if that includes the forums. I guess this weekend is gonna be all about "grab what you can while its there".

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
sorry my community contacts are pretty much dried up now, everyone I knew has either gone on to something else or vanished. Maybe conan knows how to get in touch with him?

its a big idea you've got brewing in your head there, with a bit of luck maybe you can pull it off.

anyway, I'm off to sleep, nite.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
moc.sngiapmac3cw@ocard backwards.

Heh, it would be an interesting idea.

If there's not enough strain on this server, ask Draco if you could move Campaigns into the TH server and link it on the main page? Even though there's an as-good community over here, it would keep the wc3c community intact while boosting the traffic here as well.

Knowing Draco and the current situation, I'm sure he would adhere to it and wouldn't mind handing it over if he doesn't want to maintain it anymore.

Either that, or offer to put it on this server since the wc3 server isn't closing it down.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
There are 1000 options in this, and 1000 things to consider. Including, but not limited to:

Half their user base is gone anway.
I hate most users still there, passionately.
Them sinking could strengthen the communties around them.
Why not invest time HERE?

Then more thoughts like....

We are a tech site pretending to be a wc3 site pretending to be a tech site.
We have a tutorials site with an incredibly long url.
We don't have one GIANT wc3 only forum URL like they do.
We have no plans for expansion on other games, as far as I can see...

Were not competing with the other two big WC3 sites.
Were not really competing with other big tech support sites.

Takeover...merge...let sink.. who knows.

Most of the other WC3 sites see TheHelper.net as 'noobs'. We never cracked mdl, w3x, and jass like they are. We don't have modellers in 3DS like Cookie. We don't have spell people like Vexorian. Etc, etc.

wc3sear.ch is now the big dog. Which not so bad thing.

But its the slowest site on gods earth, with 1000 users that cry 'CNP CNP CNP RECOLOR CNP' and I cant really stand all that....

[edit]

I dont think I've posted once on WC3C without 'RightField' flaming me. I passionately hate that man.

Love for Thehelper :) Love for Panto, and some others.

Sud

"[If life=Dota] I'd have quit long ago" -- Acehart
Reaction score
They may have cracked a bunch of map files and deluded themselves into thinking they're super 3l33t, but TH actually makes maps.

Both Ryoko TD and CoD are games that can be found in game list on fairly regular intervals.

What do they have on list? Nothing.

If challenged to a map/cinematics/spell/etc. contest between sites, TH would wipe the floor with them.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Sud said:
They may have cracked a bunch of map files and deluded themselves into thinking they're super 3l33t, but TH actually makes maps.

Both Ryoko TD and CoD are games that can be found in game list on fairly regular intervals.

If challenged to a map/cinematics/spell/etc. contest between sites, TH would wipe the floor with them.

Most of the maps they made were large campaigns. THough I do believe making a playable and innovative multiplayer map is better than a campaign, you have to credit some of the creators for making quality campaigns and very fun levels.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Sud said:
lol not really, even dying ToB is more regular then CoD up there now. you better get a good cod version out fast or..hmm...

J

JetPack

If you were thinking of merging with Wc3Campaigns you definitly missed your chance, we at WarCraft 3 Mod Forge have already gotten a few of their projects and tutorials section. Bit slow on your end.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
JetPack said:
If you were thinking of merging with Wc3Campaigns you definitly missed your chance, we at WarCraft 3 Mod Forge have already gotten a few of their projects and tutorials section. Bit slow on your end.

Woah. JetPack, your still alive?

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Sud said:

I decided it just doesn't matter.

Ultimately, theres only a few people I liked there anyway. Woes to any those who oppose the dark Ryoko.

Like others said. All that was there was some projects.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score

interesting choice of words there....if he wanted to be friendly he would have said "sorry guys we've got their projects and tutorials"....but instead he said "you definitely missed your chance...bit slow on your end"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.