A good pair of headphones

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
So, I seem to have bad luck with buying headphones. I've gotten 3 in the past two months, and they've all broken. I've gotten returns for at least 2 of them, might be able to for the last one, not sure. That's not really my concern though. What I'm looking for is a good, solid pair of headphones. Does anyone know a good brand? They don't need to be fancy, or have ultra-great sound quality, or anything like that. They just need to be simple, relatively cheap, and above all reliable. I'm talking something that will last me a year at the very least, preferably more. On-ear or over-ear both work, and a microphone is a big plus as well.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I would recommend Sony. I used to use Sennheiser because they were reasonably good and cheap, but they fell apart easily. I'm on my third pair of Sony headphones, but both of my previous pairs have lasted at least 9 months. I must say though, I don't think I've ever had a pair last longer than about a year, regardless of brand. I don't handle them roughly, but they do get a lot of use so I guess they just degrade themselves... shame stuff isn't built to last anymore.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
what do people mean by "break down" it just stops working? or what.

For my current pair, it means the left earpiece doesn't produce sound anymore. It was being a bit dodgy for a while, but now it won't work no matter how I fiddle the wire around.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
I use these.

Best headphones I ever bought.

In-ear headphones? Ew. Those tend to irritate my ears, but I suppose if I used them more often I'd get used to it. How long have you had those?

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
What's your main use for them? Computer? Or music player?
Well my old headphones that I used for like 2 years and were good were from Sony, but they stopped working in one ear a few months ago.
I don't know about other companies, and I'm not saying get Sony, but I can vouch for some Sony decency.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
If you really mean "good" and want nice headphones, I'd say:

Bose Full Ear, I run these and they're awesome.
bose_headphones.jpg

Or if you wanna drop a bit more, eargasmic headphones. My buddy has these. Dr Dre Beats
colorware-beats-by-dr-dre.jpg

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
In-ear headphones? Ew. Those tend to irritate my ears, but I suppose if I used them more often I'd get used to it. How long have you had those?

I've had them since last Christmas (they were a gift).
They hurt a little for the first few uses (it's more like a slight irritation), but then your ear gets used to them, and then they're real nice.

Or if you wanna drop a bit more, eargasmic headphones. My buddy has these. Dr Dre Beats
colorware-beats-by-dr-dre.jpg

:O

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I've had them since last Christmas (they were a gift).
They hurt a little for the first few uses (it's more like a slight irritation), but then your ear gets used to them, and then they're real nice.

No, earbuds never produce true musical sound. If you're buying a set for your computer, get full-ear setup headphones.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Earbuds are never as good as full-ear headphones, as DDR said, but they are much more practical if you're on the move. I've only ever had one pair of full-ear headphones which was over a decade ago now when I used to just sit and listen to music at home. They tend to last a lot longer than earbuds and have much better sound quality, even on cheaper pairs.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
does anyone know if you can plug full-ear headphones into any 3.5mm jack? including ipods, i dont see why it wont, but seeing as its apple, maybe it doesnt

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
I think I'll try out some sony stuff. This is just for my laptop, so I'm not moving around.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys, hopefully I'll have better luck this time around.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
does anyone know if you can plug full-ear headphones into any 3.5mm jack? including ipods, i dont see why it wont, but seeing as its apple, maybe it doesnt
It depends on the jack, most will tell you when you buy what the jack size is. In my experience most will but it depends on what they are designed for.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
About the Jacks... You can buy an Pin adapter set for ~10 bucks or something.

I use these Earphones from japan, and the jack is too thin to use for European devices. However, The Japanease have really good quality earphones ( at least my one didn't break for over 2 years now ).

It wasn't a Sony product though. My dad brought it back from a fair in japan.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
If you haven't already chosen, I use the Creative Fatal1ty headphones (the non-USB ones). They're comfortable, have a removable mic (with higher quality than a cheap pair), volume control on the cord, and the quality of the sound is very high, compared to a standard sub-$20 pair.

I used to use Logitech and Sony ~$20 pairs, but they were both uncomfortable, flimsy (easily broke 2 logitechs), and had poor sound quality.

The ones I use now are between $25 and $50, but they've lasted for 2 years now, and I am very satisfied with them.

Picture:
fatal1ty_gaming_headset_1.jpg

I'll admit I lost the fuzzy thing around the microphone, but the mic is still excellent.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.