Crime A gunman killed one person following the election of a separatist government in Quebec

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MONTREAL — The masked man accused of opening fire and killing one person at a midnight victory rally for Parti Québécois leader Pauline Marois has been identified. The gunman, wearing a bathrobe and balaclava, opened fire just outside the building where Marois was giving her victory speech. She was quickly dragged off stage by bodyguards midway through her victory speech.

“The anglos are waking up” the suspect said in French with an English accent as he was led away by police. Then alternating between English and French he added: “There’s going to be f—-ing payback. It’s enough. Wanna make trouble.”

Police said a 48-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene and a 27-year-old man was wounded but would survive. A third man was treated for shock.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Wow someone got "shot" Eh?
Hmm Well, what does he mean by "The English are waking up!" anyway?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow someone got "shot" Eh?
Hmm Well, what does he mean by "The English are waking up!" anyway?

In Quebec the issue about French vs English is quite serious. The Province's only official language is French, but a good proportion of its population speaks English (10% are native speakers but I don't know about total English speakers). It is an issue because Quebec is part of Canada, which is (mostly) an anglophone country.

So, yesterday, a Government which values the separation of Quebec from Canada has been elected, and which, of course, values the French language as the only language to be spoken in Quebec, and would pass severe laws against the use of the English language at school, at work, etc.

Edit: I forgot to add; a minority government.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
so you migrate to another country only to separate yourself from that country and go back to being french? what? If you want to be french why go there in the first place, i honestly don't get the thinking of people in quebec, aint nothing wrong with speaking french and using french signs, thats like chinatowns all over the world but like making your own government? Plain stupidity.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
so you migrate to another country only to separate yourself from that country and go back to being french? what? If you want to be french why go there in the first place, i honestly don't get the thinking of people in quebec, aint nothing wrong with speaking french and using french signs, thats like chinatowns all over the world but like making your own government? Plain stupidity.
I'm not against a government that supports one language, but this
would pass severe laws against the use of the English language at school, at work, etc.
is just plain bullshit.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Originally, Quebec was a French colony as much as the US was an English colony. The English invaded Quebec in 1775, but didn't assimilate the French, they simply conquered, so the language was never lost.

When Canada was formed in 1867, Quebec was basically "separated" from Canada in "Bas-Canada", which means lower Canada. It was still owned by Great Britain, but again, French wasn't in a proper situation to be lost.

Basically, French was never lost in Quebec for various reasons and that's why some of us want to separate (yes I'm from there).

> Not the killing but the, "Gimme' my English, dammit!"

You have 9 other Provinces to go speak English in :p

Right now, there is a law called "101" which already states French as the only official language in the Province. What the current government wants is to reinforce that law, which I think is stupid as it's already strong.

> Sad someone "has" to kill another to get heard.

You shouldn't "have" to kill someone to get heard. He didn't get heard at all, in fact, as most medias up until now concluded he was a madman and it hadn't any political tone to it (which is bull). If anything, people sympathized with the government against the cause the gunman was defending...

FireCat

Reaction score
Even if Quebec is officially a French-speaking province "But that doesn't mean it's a french country" eh?!
Well, If they want to speak french that's fine, But seriously, that's ridiculous and stupid. ↓

French language as the only language to be spoken in Quebec, and would pass severe laws against the use of the English language at school, at work, etc.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first part is already a law and has been since 1977. The second part though, isn't. I don't quite understand why they want to do that either.

> Even if Quebec is officially a French-speaking province "But that doesn't mean it's a french country" eh?!

Well, that's how a federation works (Canada is a federation). Much power is given to the provinces, more so than the individual States in the US for example. The provinces are responsible for their own education, health care, police, etc, though they get help from the Canadian government. The federal government oversees the military and the country's economical stability.

FireCat

Reaction score
Well, that's how a federation works (Canada is a federation). Much power is given to the provinces.
I never thought about this before. Oh so anyone can start /claim their own province?
Well, Let's say an alien want to have a piece of land in Quebec. lol Will they get It?
Hmm Btw: If the "country's economic stability aren't good" what would happen then? Can they kick out the country?

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
Originally, Quebec was a French colony as much as the US was an English colony. The English invaded Quebec in 1775, but didn't assimilate the French, they simply conquered, so the language was never lost.

When Canada was formed in 1867, Quebec was basically "separated" from Canada in "Bas-Canada", which means lower Canada. It was still owned by Great Britain, but again, French wasn't in a proper situation to be lost.

Basically, French was never lost in Quebec for various reasons and that's why some of us want to separate (yes I'm from there).

I see, I guess the situation is similar to Hong Kong if i may assume? conquered by the British and the Portuguese at Macau.

What I don't get is why there isn't a solution in where you still have to learn french AND english at school and just have a mutual agreement between the two languages.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never thought about this before. Oh so anyone can start /claim their own province?
Well, Let's say an alien want to have a piece of land in Quebec. lol Will they get It?
Hmm Btw: If the "country's economic stability aren't good" what would happen then? Can they kick out the country?

Now you're just being a troll...

I see, I guess the situation is similar to Hong Kong if i may assume? conquered by the British and the Portuguese at Macau.

What I don't get is why there isn't a solution in where you still have to learn french AND english at school and just have a mutual agreement between the two languages.

Well, right now it is what is currently happening (learning both languages at school). This government, however, wishes otherwise.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Well Canada is a federation (just like the United States) as Sim is saying. Any state in the United States can declare an "official language". In fact most states do and we just don't really notice it because there is no restrictions against it (as is being claimed inside Quebec) and there isn't that large of a population that speaks only non-English. Even in my state of Florida which has a tremendous amount of people who speak Spanish, the official language by the Floridian Constitution is English.

Article II, Section 9, of the Florida Constitution provides that "English is the official language of the State of Florida." This provision was adopted in 1988 by a vote following an Initiative Petition.

However the situation is also slightly different because there are arguable federal laws of Canada that state French and English are equal languages in status. In the United States this is not the case because the Federal Government has never declared an "Official Language" for the United States as a whole.

Though this aggression I feel is also kind of powered by many Quebecois wanting to seperate from Canada. That's a huge difference in the situation. After all there is no attempt by any State to legitimately separate from the United States (at least not to the degree in which it persists in Quebec). Mainly because last time that happened it didn't work out so well...

FireCat

Reaction score
Though this aggression I feel is also kind of powered by many Quebecois wanting to seperate from Canada. That's a huge difference in the situation. After all there is no attempt by any State to legitimately separate from the United States
That's what I thought too, Manly because it seemed slightly ridiculous fight over Just language?!

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Sim and Miz, breakin' it down for the common man to understand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.