a hard trigger/data question which needs answering... someone helpful please.

Xeno Yoxa

Reaction score
morphing isn't a problem right now but... ill explain ok. i have 1 of 4 units... each can morph into archon infestor lurker or immortal but here's the tough thing...

im making a map like parasite which involves deception and one player or 2 gets one ability which allows them to turn from human to alien but...

HERE IS THE PROBLEM... i don't know what method i should use to turn them back to the current alien form they were on after they evoed from t0 alien form... to t1.

meaning i can turn them back to alien easily enough. but i cannot do the REVERSE... there are 4 t1' forms... aka archon infesor lurker immortal.

t0 would be the form beneath them which when human transformed from the zero form...

aka scantipede a critter. that human turns into first. so here is the question what would be the easiest way with triggers or data separately to make the game remember what units are which. anyone have an answer?

btw can this be done with validators and other data? or does it need triggers too? very confused i am

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
If you wanted to go the trigger route, you could use variables to store the base form of the unit and then use a dummy ability to call a trigger which executes the correct morph back to its base unit.

Alternatively, you could use hidden buffs which make no modifications to the unit to store which base class the unit is. Then you could use validators and requirements to give the unit the correct morph ability back to its base class.

If you have an idea of which method you would prefer to go then I could probably flesh out the idea a bit more.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
After giving it some more thought, I'm thinking that you would be better off using triggers to store which alien form the unit is, but have all the morphs created in the data editor. What I said about using buffs would work, but it is just going to become overly complicated, especially if you have lots of morphs.

What you need to do is create a morph ability for each unit i.e. 1 ability for turning the unit back into a human (doesn't matter what the source unit is as they can still use the same ability). The human unit will need all the morph abilities for turning it into every alien unit. The alien units only need the morph abilities for turning it into a human and the next tier aliens.
Now you need to create a dummy instant effect ability which we will use as the event for the triggers. You will need 2 main triggers: 1 for storing the alien form and another executing the correct morph ability back to the correct alien form. The first one should be fairly simple, but the second trigger should have the event of when the dummy ability is used, and then depending on which alien is stored, issue an order to morph into the correct alien unit.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I might be misunderstanding your question, and excuse me if this is the case.

I would rather make it entirely in data. You can either do it my way or Dave's way. Either is fine and will probably work without problems.

Anyways, you want several units to be able to morph from the initial 4 units(Archon, Infestor, Immortal and Lurker) to an alien and back but when the player is in alien form, you don't know how to make them go back to original initial unit?

If a player picked archon you want them to be able to morph between archon and alien etc.

I would make one morph between each initial unit and the alien. This means one morph to Archon, one morph to Infestor, one morph to Immortal and one morph to Lurker.

In addition, make one morph ability that morphs to Alien.

Set up the actors like normal. You can use Dave312's tutorial about it.

My way of doing it consists of an upgrade for each initial state. When a player picks a certain unit. Let's say Player 1 picks Archon. You then give him the ArchonMorph upgrade. You can then make a requirement that requires the upgrade to show. Make this a requirement for the Archon morph ability. Do the same thing for the other morphs(except the morph into Alien)

This way, the only morph that will show is the one you have an upgrade for, which will be the unit you picked.

Again, disregard this if this is not what you wanted. I've attached an example map for you to look at.

View attachment MorphExample.SC2Map

Xeno Yoxa

Reaction score
sounds like a hard process but ill try the data way heh. besides when i do make more forms they will be off the t1 alien forms. yes its strange but i do have to do it that way if i am to have few glitches. lmao.

Xeno Yoxa

Reaction score
i found an issue with the morph.the one that requires triggers and data aka morph example. when you revert to marine you can go back to infestor if you picked archon. by just typing -infestor. same goes for if you pick archon. in my map i want once you pick the archon other one(s) is permanently blocked from use. till next game. im not good with triggers so yea i need some help still.. but i do know how to do a little of it.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
That is intentional so you could view the difference. If you enter the trigger editor you'll see two triggers. They are pretty simple and work something like:

When a user writes "-Infestor", give him the Infestor morph upgrade(which will show the Infestor morph).
When a user writes "-Archon", give him the Archon morph upgrade(which will show the Archon morph).

The only thing you have to add to your code now is that when a player picks an upgrade you just give him the correct upgrade.

Xeno Yoxa

Reaction score
okay sorry if im a pain for asking so many questions. btw thanks for helping me out. :D sadly btw i do have more issues to attend to as i said im not the best at triggers... from the maps i have gained/looked at from battle.net's online mode i have learned one thing: variables are not only helpful but can be vital. too bad for me i am not the best with it yet. but on another note this probahly won't be the end of my questions i hope that's ok too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.