A kiss, is it meaningful?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
People living in the Western civilizations think a kiss is just a kiss, it's no big deal.
People living in the Eastern civilizations believed a kiss is actually embarrassing.

I'm in a place, a suburban city, full of people who thinks kissing in public is outright humiliating. Shyness is the culprit, I guess.

But you're in a place, probably a rural modern town, or a bustling city, and you believed a kiss is something that means either a simple greetings or being affectionate toward another. Gender doesn't matter in this society and era.

Now, what can I do? If I like a person, I just can't kiss it right away. I can give her sweets and a love card, but getting turned down is somewhat common among my status quo.

What can you do? I'm impressed that you can kiss anyone on a special day, kiss someone on the cheek resembling "Welcome!", or you can kiss anytime, anywhere, in any way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What's a kiss? Why is it so meaningful that it's hard for me to grasp that weird sensation? If you watched Kenan & Kel on Nickelodeon, you'll see me doing the "WHY...!?! :eek:" sign at the sky.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Yea, I say kisses mean something. Typically you don't kiss someone who you have no feelings toward (usually you have at least a little, if not a physical attraction) unless of course you're under the influence and it just seems like the right thing to do. In which case it's probably a different story, but it really depends on the people. Some people go around kissing everyone they think is hot while others only do so with people they really care about.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
It depends for me. I've kissed people I've really liked, and then I've kissed people I thought were hot but had no emotional feeling towards. If you love or have emotions for the person, a kiss is very meaningful. However, if you don't, it is nothing more than a meaningless gesture simply for amusement or fun.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
So, a kiss is just an action that's dependent of cultures, other than that it's nothing at all, right?

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
a kiss is a greate way to exchange pharamones, so if your intention is to bring some one to the bed, its a great starter.

however, it can to some people have great emotional level.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no shyness involved? No embarrassment? Nothing at all? There has to be something...isn't there's a saying that "A kiss is an art."? How come we're different? How come I can't see anyone kissing in public like people in France? How come I can't understand fully what you think of about kissing?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Give her a bigger allowance?

There's no shyness involved? No embarrassment? Nothing at all? There has to be something...isn't there's a saying that "A kiss is an art."? How come we're different? How come I can't see anyone kissing in public like people in France? How come I can't understand fully what you think of about kissing?

A lot of eastern countries have a more traditional form of society where just by the silent rule it's not a public thing. America has become a lot more 'modern' in the rules of society and gradually public displays of affection, or PDA's as certain fags/teachers like to call, isn't that big of a deal.

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
a kiss is a greate way to exchange pharamones, so if your intention is to bring some one to the bed, its a great starter.

Kissing does not exchange pheromones. It may have social implications that release endorphins that then in turn will make our body's sweat out some pheromones.

"A kiss is an art." Tell that to my friend who pretty much tongue jousts with his girlfriend.

I'm speechless.

Exclaiming lack of concepts to share!

Kissing is technically meaningless but like many things, different cultures and groups of people give it different meanings. I don't think its something there's really a right and wrong about given its a physical form of an abstract concept (relationship/love.)

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
from a religious point of view, if you arnt careful a kiss can escalate into other things. So.. it depends, there is no set answer, and i doubt it matters :/

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Some people see it as a meaningful expression of love. Others think of it as a greeting. Then others may think of it as a pass time. When I kiss someone I love (or have deep feelings for), I feel connected to that person. It's nice.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that there is obviously a difference between a kiss on the cheek and making out...

You don't make out with people to greet them tom mai, just a kiss on the cheek typically.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
> can give her sweets and a love card, but getting turned down is somewhat common among my status quo.

NO< HELL NO First rule of picking up chicks: NEVER, EVER, EVER, reveal your feelings...

Love card and sweets don't work if she is not interested. She will just know you like her and ignore you....

well in other words:
Man logic: I tell her I likes her-> she likes me -> <3

That is totally wrong... talk to her, get to know her, ask her out, find out how far she will get with you and if you feel lucky kiss her on the mouth...

PS: Am I missing the point of the thread?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
> can give her sweets and a love card, but getting turned down is somewhat common among my status quo.

NO< HELL NO First rule of picking up chicks: NEVER, EVER, EVER, reveal your feelings...

Love card and sweets don't work if she is not interested. She will just know you like her and ignore you....

well in other words:

That is totally wrong... talk to her, get to know her, ask her out, find out how far she will get with you and if you feel lucky kiss her on the mouth...

Not really too much. I do have that Man logic. I wondered if a kiss means something that also fits the Man logic? I feel like there's a connection between the two.

Jimpy said:
Exclaiming lack of concepts to share!

That's because I don't understand the concepts. Why share something I'm unacknowledged about? I'm asking, not sharing.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score

well in other words:

This isnt HELP TOM MAI GET A DATE!!! He just wants to know. I would also like to point out that

THIS, ill take a point and tell you that if yur guess is lucky enough and you do what bollo just advised against and the girl does like you, yay for you.

Again, this isnt a "learn how to date" thread, if you want to learn how to date go
Here
Yes. even wiki went this low

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not asking how to date, I'm asking what's the point of a kiss whenever you see one nearby. Why not just say: "Greetings, *a big smooch*" instead of "Greetings." when someone who greets wanted to kiss you.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it always have to be a greetings? Why is it meaningful to have greetings kiss anyway?

If the Eastern and Western Cultures were to be switched around, you'll see that a greetings kiss is more like you're spreading germs around people's cheek. Is that meaningful? You see kisses in a secret place, which makes an unusually aura of sensational mood for a kiss, is that meaningful, even when the kiss is actually a grettings kiss?

I see a kiss a "lips touching each other" action. Scientifically, it's known elsewhere in the animal kingdom. Dogs and cats lick their mouths, that's a kiss. But why there's a meaning that exists in that action? Care to say, what do you see when you see a meaningless kiss? I keep seeing meaningless kisses, which is why I asked.

In Western countries, husbands kisses their wives. In Eastern countries, I hardly see husbands kissing wives. (Or was that because of Japan's cultural references?)

Just that picture I don't get.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.