A new Star takes the spotlight.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Starcraft II... things are going to be pretty much new to evryone... I am guessing that mapping will be popular only after 2-3 years though... not that there aren't going to maps... I am sure that "Days Of The Alliance" now with extra ice frogs for the first 23746 mad zombies(tm) will appear quite soon. Though it won't be good. Ok, why do I say 2-3 years? Well, my friends, 2 expansions, + custom gamers are melee players who got bored... So, yeah, mapping will be pretty pointless from start. Also I beleave that a new generation of maps will be needed. No fucking ORPG's Footman clones nor mindless AoS maps... I think that dispite our experiense with wc3 a kid with better ideas then us can own our... well pineapples :S

What do you think ?

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Lolz, I agree so much 13lade. When I got bored with the melee I just cheat it and arrange the buildings like sims, when I found out how to use WE I quit doing the sims in warcraft lolz.....

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
i also agree with bloodcount that the mapping community isnt going to last as long with starcraft. although i am sure the editor will have alot of improvements and new stuff, the starcraft theme itself is going to be pretty limited. warcraft had that rpg element to it that made it much easier to make maps for, however starcraft from what i have seen sofar seems to be mostly about straight forward RTS melee fights. there are alot of possibilities with medieval and magic themes than the scifi space stuff. warcraft just simply had that IT factor making it possible to come up with endless map ideas that made sense to have in the warcraft universe. unless blizzard plans to have as many if not more different kinds of units and models as warcraft 3 in terms of normal units, campaign units, and neutral units etc, as well as just as many doodads and destructibles then I cant see starcraft mapping going very far. someone can only take so many mauls and maps with endless zerg waves.

im still going to get sc2 to check out the editor, but i honestly probably wont play it much.

Ashcat

Hellooo
Reaction score
Well, starcraft has those psionic powers, which come close to magical capabilities, and there are a lot of space age mmoRPGs. I disagree that sc2 maps will be more limited than wc3 maps. Maps come out of the creator's creativity and imagination, and the lore was only bent for about 5billion custom wc3 maps, so not every sc2 map will have to make perfect sense.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
well, listen starcraft II maps will be different. For example a map only with zerglings... the set of units races and theme SC gives us is limited, yes, but I beleave that the maps will be more minigame like...

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
I don't think so, I think its the start of epic maps. Considering that there are more unique systems in the new starcraft (Some units can walk on higher terrains @_@ - the spider like robots) Protoss takes the magic, zerg takes the alien, terran takes the human things. And I bet that the limit for the filesize will be much bigger than wc3's 4MB limit.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
hopefully we can export/import wc3 models if necessary or they will be there as a bonus (like the firebat/zergling/hydra in wc3)

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
Starcraft II... things are going to be pretty much new to evryone... I am guessing that mapping will be popular only after 2-3 years though... not that there aren't going to maps... I am sure that "Days Of The Alliance" now with extra ice frogs for the first 23746 mad zombies(tm) will appear quite soon. Though it won't be good. Ok, why do I say 2-3 years? Well, my friends, 2 expansions, + custom gamers are melee players who got bored... So, yeah, mapping will be pretty pointless from start. Also I beleave that a new generation of maps will be needed. No fucking ORPG's Footman clones nor mindless AoS maps... I think that dispite our experiense with wc3 a kid with better ideas then us can own our... well pineapples :S

What do you think ?
Are you kidding? Within a week all SC custom maps will be cloned, and within a month they'll actually be playable. And not all custom gamers are melee gamers who got bored, for example I'm simply not fast enough to play melee, neither do I have the strategic overview, which is also the sole reason why I started modding back in the days.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score

What do you think ?

Well put friend. I think that for a while, it's going to be 100% pointless.

Frozenhelfir

set Gwypaas = Guhveepaws
Reaction score
I disagree with the OP. There are a lot of custom gamers who do not play custom games because they got bored with melee maps. Warcraft III has a large base of custom gamers, and I know a lot of people who are making the jump to SC2 to play custom games.

That said, I would say custom games wont be played for a month or two until people finish the campaign and allow for the maps to develop to a playable level. When I got Wc3 i didn't play any ladder. I jumped right into the custom games.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
hopefully we can export/import wc3 models if necessary or they will be there as a bonus (like the firebat/zergling/hydra in wc3)

You will not be able to import the old wc3 ones because of the game engine differences. But if anyone recreates them for sc2...

However, I think the only limit is the creator's imagination. And honest to be, we will be less limited than in wc3, think at all the things you will actually be able to do with the scripting in sc2 <3.

Razalgrim

Reaction score
Starcraft II doesn't have neutral creeps, right? If that's so, the custom maps are going to be very limited. You won't be able to make an RPG with only the units from 3 races to choose from. :(

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Starcraft II doesn't have neutral creeps, right? If that's so, the custom maps are going to be very limited. You won't be able to make an RPG with only the units from 3 races to choose from. :(

I think it is your imagination and creativity that is limited.

Razalgrim

Reaction score
Even if you have enough imagination as to get drunk with it, if the resources are limited, the outcome can't be what initially conceptualized. Unless you limit your imagination to the confines of what's available to you.

Huh.

Ah well, I guess I'll just see myself once the game comes out.

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
I agree with xxxtrickyxxx, there will be less applicable concepts in a SC2 custom map. The RPG element, for example, although do-able via triggers, will still lack items and so it will be, at best, incomplete.

Yet we should not worry. As tricky mentioned, the game will be more about straightforward RTS fighting, so there will be, consequentially, greater focus on the RTS elements in the new maps. For example, now, for the first time in a Blizz strategy (hallelujah!) I will be able to control MORE than 12 units. FhelZone is quite right, since the many new elements that will enhance the RTS experience will turn the mapmakers' creativity to implementing these elements in the new maps as well.

What I like about the pro RTS tilt in game design is that concepts such as the RingWars maps from TFT will be easy to implement in SC2 as opposed to TFT and the battles, assuming we get the needed models, will be much bigger and more LotR-like, and therefore more fun! I am already thinking of translating the RingWars concept into a non-LotR franchise, but I have not yet decided what :D

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
>lack items
Actually heroes and items are included in the Star edit. there just aren't gonna be used in the classical game.

Indeed, the RTS element will be greater. But then comes the balancing problem...

ButcherBunny

Reaction score
Indeed, Bloodcount.

About the maps, I am sure that someone will re-make dota and the brainless dota players will play it like brainless zombies.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Indeed, Bloodcount.

About the maps, I am sure that someone will re-make dota and the brainless dota players will play it like brainless zombies.

Wouldn't surprise me

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.