A question to all Forum admins

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
I was wondering.. Is there any way to add music to a forum?

You know like a normal webpage, and stuff..

If you can.....TELL ME HOW!!

Thx

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Erm, unless you can add it through the SCRIPT, I'm pretty sure there's no way. At least, our OM CP doesn't have anything about "music". But like I said, you might be able to add it into the scripting of the page, but I'm sure it'd lag like hell.

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
Ye I know about the script.. but I was wondering maybe some details into how doing it.. I know its not on my admin CP too...

But TH might know :D

Also how do you get the reping system..

My system makes it so only get rep bars if u get X post count...

DM Cross

Reaction score
Ugh, are you using that Invisionfree stuff? I had that, two of those sites... They suck :D Gotta get your own domain name, like TH and OM both have! ;)

If Malice ever gets on, he can tell you where to go to get a domain name for 5 bucks a month! :D

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
I have my own domain name thank you.. not telling becuz its for personal stuff.. :D--Not anything Wc3 related..

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You could add music to your forums by adding some sort of script to the forum template.

As far as the reputation system goes, it is a feature of the VBulletin software we use. If your forum software only gives rep on post count then you are going to be limited there.

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
Could you give details TH on the music.. cuz I have no idea how to do this.. I know where the script is...

Its ok.. rep thing isn't that important..(just that I make the forum and members already have more "rep"bars than me..lol.. cuz they post more.)

Well thx for the help..

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
^That is correct. I did that all the time on my ezboard and back when neopets allowed music in your store...which was 4 years ago :D

But a note of caution, music is usually very annoying to have in a forum, particularly because it's too repetitive. If you're going to have music on a forum, do consider what "category" it'll be in. I find upbeat tracks very annoying when played over and over again on a forum.

And as you may know, webpages take a lot longer to load if they have music on them...but it's not noticeable if you use midis...because they're only 30-50 KB and are loaded near instantaneously with any connection whatosever.

Sargon

Reaction score
Rinpun said:
^That is correct. I did that all the time on my ezboard and back when neopets allowed music in your store...which was 4 years ago :D

I remember that. It's a damn good thing they took it off, too.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Rinpun said:
But a note of caution, music is usually very annoying to have in a forum, particularly because it's too repetitive. If you're going to have music on a forum, do consider what "category" it'll be in. I find upbeat tracks very annoying when played over and over again on a forum.

Just a hint :D Add a "sound off" button! :D

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
SD_Ryoko said:
Like dis.
Code:
<embed src="yourmusicfile.mid" autostart="true" loop="true"
width="2" height="0">
</embed>
<noembed>
<bgsound src="yourmusicfile.mid" loop="infinite">
</noembed>

Uhmm.. how do I get my music in there??

How to I upload it so I can choose it..

Do I just write all this at the bottom of the current script, if not.. where?
How do I add a music turn off button...lol

By the way.. I forgot where is the script again..
So many options..(good :D)
What option is the script in??!

DM Cross

Reaction score
If this script works somewhat like HTML, just write it toward the top, since it isn't background stuff, it won't bother anyone.

You put the file where it says "yourmusicfile.mid" or whatever, in the script.

Can't help with the button, though :D

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
Nvm i found it.. its under IpDynamic Lite set-up

Right?!?

Also there is 2 boxes where you can put scripts in 1 is

-Site Navigation Menu Links
-Show Affiliates box content
Raw HTML enabled

WHich 1?!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Trial and Error. You should insert the script into each area and test to see if it works.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Buttons are usually hard to do, at least in HTML, which has crap for brains in terms of "computing". You can easily make a button to link to somewhere, but it's a good deal harder to make a button turn something off.

Anyway, in terms of uploading music, I believe you can find some sites that will let you upload any sort of file or something. And, if you're just a person who finds midis off of websites, you can use the properties link of the song and link to the website for the music. It'll work as long as the music exists on that website, obviously.

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
Couldn't find trial and error..

I found board wrapper if that helps...

-Document Type:
Advanced users only.
Can be left blank

____-Meta Tags:
Advanced users only. Comes before CSS.
Can be left blank

-Javascript:
Any content that needs to be between the <head> html tags.
Can be left blank

-Header & Body:
Contains the board.
Can not be left blank

-Footer:
Any content after the copyright.
Can be left blank

Hope that helped..

Any suggestion on any music hosting websites..
Could I use rapidshare.de?

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Try Javascript or Footer.

Rapidshare would not be an option for hosting your music file. I am not up on the free web hosting services nowadays but you would want a free web host like geocities, angelfire, or 50megs.com that let you access the file off there domain.

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
SD_Ryoko said:
Like dis.
Code:
<embed src="yourmusicfile.mid" autostart="true" loop="true"
width="2" height="0">
</embed>
<noembed>
<bgsound src="yourmusicfile.mid" loop="infinite">
</noembed>

Sorry about the question but I still don't see how can I put my music in the "yourmusicfile.mid" space... When ill host it.. it will give me a website.. right? if so then, how would I put it in the "yourmusicfile.mid" space..
And the music im going to put in is going to be originaly mp3... so if I host it.. will it become .mid?

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
change "yourmusicfile.mid" to the exact file path of the music file.

Say you had a folder called site and inside that was an HTML page called index.html, then another folder which said music and in that had your music file.

The path would be: "music/music.mid"

---

I think that's how it works, i know a little bit of HTML coding :D

Hope this works... and helps :p

~Jindo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.