Sci/Tech A robot displaying human emotion has been unveiled

NullCurrent

( ゚ε ゚)
Reaction score
Kobian, a "humanoid" robot, which can express seven human emotions, has been unveiled by researchers at Waseda University in Japan.

The Emotional Humanoid Robot can express seven different feelings, including delight, surprise, sadness and dislike. In addition to assuming different poses to match the mood, Kobian uses motors in its face to move its lips, eyelids and eyebrows into various positions.

-------------------------------------------

Personally, I think its a tad bit scary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Not at all. A robot with emotions (that are fuctional) is much better then one without them. Emotions allow regret, fear and remorse.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
But that doesn't mean it's not scary. Honestly, look at that face, rofl.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
I don't really find this all that impressive. That's not to say that it's not a great feat of human engineering... but if you can quantify the number of emotions it has, then I feel you're being pretty bold to say it "displays human emotion."

It displays "an extent of human emotion."

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
the robot looks gay.

Stereotype Stereotype Stereeooooooootyyyyyypeeeeeee!!!!

(whops damn internet lag made me double post)

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Oh you know them japs. Sometimes they make sense sometimes they're just batshit insane

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
The thing to remember is that it's not emotion, its mimicry of emotion. There's no real feeling behind the expressions.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Yeah, robots are just actors, so you can use them for movies, :O
> "So if you have no friends, Kobian will always be your pal."

I lol'd.
I lol'd'd too.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Yeah, robots are just actors, so you can use them for movies, :O

I lol'd'd too.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Oh shit, you can make explosions while they're inside the explosion!

You can shoot them with a shotgun (without ricocheting armor) and add some special effects!

This is a new kind of stunt devils!

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Not at all. A robot with emotions (that are fuctional) is much better then one without them. Emotions allow regret, fear and remorse.

Wrong, robots are not human and should feel no remorse or regret or even fear. The last thing we need is our robots to drop something then go off on how they're sorry. Their emotions still mean nothing, they're programmed to feel that way. Say your dog just dies and the robot says "I'm sorry it had to happen that way.", how is that supposed to make you feel better? It's programmed to say it, it's an empty meaningless comment. :rolleyes:

did they just make a gay robot?

I do believe they did. :D

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
omg, they could make the robot a bit better looking than that!

Gev

Reaction score
that robot have one tipe of the 6 emotions but the human have millions tipe for each 6 emotions. The robot cant be like human. It will be allweys a robot. Only cibernetic organism can look like 50% human. Human is playing with his life becose if we creat something like us it will destroy us. Ouer nature is destruction!
nuke.jpg

This scene allways will warm humans heart

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
Our brains fire signals back in forth though pulses. Sounds familiar? its alot like how computers work, sending a series of signals back in forth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.