A RPG concept

Feralex

Reaction score
Heya im working on a RPG and ive come up with a RPG concept i personally really like and at first i would say its unique but i havent really played so many WIII RPG scenarios to make such a statement. What i want to know is would you say its a new kind of RPG style and would you find it entertaining to play such a map?

The thing is, when you level (max lvl is 100) you dont get new spells because, you get spells by acquiring runes of different elements, for example "Rune of Teleportation" gives you a teleportation spell and there are many of these across the map in a region that fits the rune, and of course they are somehow guarded by wicked creatures. These spells have level-based damage so levels DO apply to some part. You do however also start with 1 special spell that is connected to the class you choose and has 10 levels.
The story is about 4 orbs, Orb of Flame, Orb of Water, Orb of Nature and Orb of Shadow. These are made of 12 runes of their specific element by 4 great wizards which you will witness in the initiating movie. Your mission is to gather all of these and when you get one you recieve a spellbook with all the spells that the runes that they are made of have. In the end you have 4 different "Orbs of Elements"-spellbooks plus an ordinary spellbook with all the spells from various runes you find and of course the class-related spell you begin with.
There is much more to this but this is the heart of my scenario.

The way i see it most of the RPGs are like this:
You get your goal in the beginning (usually to kill someone), choose your class, kill monsters to level to get spells and increased stats and buy or loot items, all this to partially improve your character.
In my map the improvement whatever they may be are mostly huge. Warcraft III circles around spell i would say, so when getting a new spell the difference is major. So when you find a rune which gives you a spell your performance will get better and when you find the orbs one by one it will definitely improve your character and this is what you want, to get better. You can compare this with getting Hand of Ragnaros pre TBC for example, it makes a difference.

Be a gentlemen and say what you think about this. If it turns out its old school and boring ill just cast this idea to the dogs and reunite with my other map i was working on.

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
Hmm, so the point is to colect 4 orbs? Then? I thikn you should add more after that, along maybe like you need them to defeat a final boss or something. Otherwise is sounds really interesting, i like the spell idea.

And wrong section, this belongs in Members Projects.
Code:
DarkChaosElf used Move!
The attack was ineffective.

Reaction score
Certainly not unique - in the context of war3 or otherwise - and very hard to implement.

If you want to to be able to do this well, here are some pointers:

1. Learn Jass, then learn vJass.
2. Look for an online latin-english dictionary for rune names.
3. Create a system which allows you to easily define runes and their effects.
4. Don't steal ideas from other peoples maps.

Feralex

Reaction score
Hmm, so the point is to colect 4 orbs? Then? I thikn you should add more after that, along maybe like you need them to defeat a final boss or something. Otherwise is sounds really interesting, i like the spell idea.

And wrong section, this belongs in Members Projects.
Code:
DarkChaosElf used Move!
The attack was ineffective.

Yes of course its not just about collecting 4 orbs, you have collect them to in the end create a Master Orb or something to defeat some kind of a boss. I havent come up with the whole story yet but i just wanted peoples opinions about the concept. I know there are TOO many RPG scenarios, alot of them bad and repetitive and at some point people get tired of them and want something refreshing. I was hoping this, even if just a little, "refreshes".
And thanks for the tips TheDamien, i will to mah best!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.