A Simple Program - Where to start?

-OverpoweR-

Reaction score
Ellow fellas :)

So i've been messing around with some C++ books , since i want to learn C++ coding and create programs in the future and so on, but, unfortunately these books are kinda ... 'old' , so i have no personal teacher or teacher of any sort to ask my questions that interest me, so i thought maybe one of you guys can help me out a little here, im curious to know how to create a Very Simple Program, I know the part where i have to Code the functions of it and so on,so leave that off :D , but what i want, is like, to create a program with menus and such, since up until now, all i had to deal is with DOS consoles =.=' , the part where i have to code the program isnt the problem, but how do i create like, a Menu to implement that what i want, just an example! I dont know if im being clear enough :( , but anyways, i am just asking if anyone can enlighten me, on what Skills do i need for that, or program maybe or whatever its needed to get me started, cause i need to know what should i put next on my 'must-learn' list :(

Hope someone understands what im trying to say here :( , much appreciated.

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
It's not so easy, unfortunately.

Creating windows and menues is already a somewhat advanced thing.

I know of three ways:

1) Use Win32 API. That one's very messy and you need to know what you're doing. Even a simple example is complicated.

2) Use MFC. That's a Microsoft framework which is supposed to help. However, I've never gotten used to it. It's also very complicated.

3) Use external libraries such as Qt. That one takes a ton of complicated code away, but you'll need to link the static library and use it's API instead.

C++ doesn't make it helluvalot fun to create application windows. When I first checked out a Win32/MFC example I gave up after a while because I wasn't getting anywhere.

If you want to learn C++ then I'd suggest to stay with the console for now. There are tons and tons of things you can do with just that.

If you want to make a window for the sake of making a window then you should choose a different language. C# or Java make it much easier to create one.

If you want to make a app window in C++ then Qt or similar Grahpics libraries are probably your best bet.

-OverpoweR-

Reaction score
I see :), well, looks like its time to head back to my chair and read some more :) , creating windows and menus can wait :D , thanks so much for the info, i really needed it :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.