System ABC - Struct Attachment System

Faust

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
No it didn't. And yours didn't either.
I asked WHY are there 3 "ways", as I haven't really discovered any uses of B and C (they do the same).

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
This is why it has three different ways (A, B, C).
JASS:
function [...]
local StructName data = StructName.create()
local StructName data2 = StructName.create()
local timer t = CreateTimer()
//Set some of the struct arguments, or whatever else you need to do.

//Now you need both of the structs in the callback function, for whatever reason.
call SetTimerStructA(t, data)
call SetTimerStructB(t, data2) //B is needed to attach a second struct to the same handle
//If you tried to use SetTimerStructA() to attach both structs, data2 would override data and you would only be able to obtain data2 in the callback function
//If you need to attach a third struct to this same handle, you could do so by using SetXXXStructC()
call TimerStart(t, timeout, function Callback)
endfunction

After you attach them with different letters, you can retrieve them using the same letter they were attached with.

This is exactly what Tyrande_ma3x and Smith_S9, and it does answer the question as you asked. If this isn't what you mean, try clarifying your question.

Reaction score
Those are no "ways", the system attaches the structs with the same algorithm. B and C are used if you need 2 or 3 structs attached to one handle. You will discover use of this when you actually need it.

Faust

Reaction score
This is why it has three different ways (A, B, C).
JASS:
function [...]
local StructName data = StructName.create()
local StructName data2 = StructName.create()
local timer t = CreateTimer()
//Set some of the struct arguments, or whatever else you need to do.

//Now you need both of the structs in the callback function, for whatever reason.
call SetTimerStructA(t, data)
call SetTimerStructB(t, data2) //B is needed to attach a second struct to the same handle
//If you tried to use SetTimerStructA() to attach both structs, data2 would override data and you would only be able to obtain data2 in the callback function
//If you need to attach a third struct to this same handle, you could do so by using SetXXXStructC()
call TimerStart(t, timeout, function Callback)
endfunction

After you attach them with different letters, you can retrieve them using the same letter they were attached with.

This is exactly what Tyrande_ma3x and Smith_S9, and it does answer the question as you asked. If this isn't what you mean, try clarifying your question.

Now I understand, thank you for the clarification.

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
I don't understand why some people claim ABC is not working for 1.24,
it works for both 1.23b and 1.24.

Maybe you need to get latest version of NewGen

Zwiebelchen

Reaction score
Is ABC still worth using? I mean ... with all those new blizzard hashtable functions, aren't attachment systems obsolete?

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
>aren't attachment systems obsolete?

For the ones that do hashing, pretty much. Hashtable's hashing (at least with a single hash) appears to be faster than Jass modulo hash.

H2I() - 0x100000 is still faster, I believe. It's unstable, though.

I'm going to stay with TriggerExecCount. Faster (and more stable) than both H2I() - 0x100000 and hashtables.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Is ABC still worth using? I mean ... with all those new blizzard hashtable functions
Good question, one that I ask myself.
Of course, some attaching systems didn't use hashing, like PUI, AIDS, T32, KT2, Rectwraps and Trackable2. These are the non-H2I attaching systems, which may be faster than hashtables. But H2I attaching systems are probably obselete, except for those which use H2I-0x100000 with precaching objects and recycling (TU Red).

Zwiebelchen

Reaction score
Basicly, after some days of intensive rewriting of my map's existing code (Gaias Retaliation ORPG) and trying to create a more user friendly and more effective aggro system than UAS, I came to the conclusion that ABC has become obsolete.
I don't even use PUI anymore. Blizzard hashtables seem to be a lot more relying and failure-resistant than any system I saw so far. It may be possible that non-H2I functions like PUI are still faster than hashtables, but, however, they are a lot more unstable.
I personally prefer safer, non-depending scripts far over the last piece of speed-optimizing, that is useless anyways because any 30 Dollar Ebay-PC can handle WC3 even with the slowest scripts ever.

ABC is fine for those that are too lazy to learn how to use blizzard hashtables effectively; however, I will try to avoid anything depending on additional scripts like ABC in the future. (Hopefully it decreases the number of crit errors on custom maps)

Sad, that blizzard didn't add these functions more early.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
PUI is perfectly fine. I don't know what you're talking about when you say it's "more unstable." I can't speak for ABC though.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
hashtables seem to be a lot more relying and failure-resistant than any system I saw so far. It may be possible that non-H2I functions like PUI are still faster than hashtables, but, however, they are a lot more unstable.
Some of the most unfounded nonsense I've seen so far.

Zwiebelchen

Reaction score
PUI is perfectly fine. I don't know what you're talking about when you say it's "more unstable." I can't speak for ABC though.
Well, I sometimes experienced indices missing (mostly in combination with "do not decay" units) - but I agree it could have been my mistake, too.
I didn't say that PUI is obsolete now, only that I wouldn't use H2I attaching like ABC anymore.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Attach to trigger, there are no alternative as well other than H2I.
**You can use GetTriggerExecCount as well, but you need to change all the actions into conditions. lol. Big changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.