Abilities the game really needs

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Demotion:
The next time one of your Battlecruiser captains decides to break formation and chase a lone unit into the enemy base without orders, bust him down to SCV pilot and give command of the vessel to someone more responsible.

Court Martial
Use this ability whenever one of your siege tanks sees one Zergling fighting six marines and decides to drop the hammer - obliterating all six marines. Stick him in the brig for the duration and make an example of him.

Darwin Award
The next time an idiot SCV pilot builds a building and traps himself between that building and a wall / cliff / adjoining structure / pool of lava, let him know he’s staying there until he starves or is eaten by the Zerg. Hasn’t decades of brutal outer space warfare culled all the idiots from the species yet?

(Shamelessly copied over from here)

Which actually reminds me of a rather endless list of @!#?@! "features" they better not have in SCII... :p

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice. Very nice.
I like those. :p

Perhaps that could be implemented in some map with the new editor.... :rolleyes:

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
If they don't use energy-efficient psionic energies then they can get filed for 5 years in prison for disobeying the almighty Conservative Ecological Treehugging Deity who has become a mainstream religion in the future...

AL GORE!!!

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
Manbearpig....
Hooray! A fellow South Park fan. <3

Yeah, he'll be the equivalent of Satan in Goreism.

Back on topic, I agree with the OP. Best abilities evar.

Oh and there will always be idiots as long as there's...

...rap. No really, that has to burn!!!

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
The original Warcraft was very simple. Players could grasp the basics in just a few minutes. The sequel created a nice Rock, Paper, Scissors relationship between the unit types, giving the game some depth at the expense of a bit of a learning curve. Now Rock, Paper, Scissors is viewed as childish and quaint, a gameplay mechanic for children. Now if you want to put out an RTS to please the fans of the genre you need twenty different unit types with convoluted overlapping relationships that give rise to tactics so numerous they require their own Wiki to be fully explained, and years of dedicated play to master.

He raises a good point, but it's a difficult problem to address. Gameplay has to evolve over time, but there's no way it can just keep getting more and more complex. There are only so many variables players can cope with, and there's always going be point where a player says "I'm not really sure what I am doing and this isn't very fun anymore."

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> Gameplay has to evolve over time

Sort of.

Years ago... AceHart was playing wc2 and liked it. A lot. And played it pretty much straight to StarCraft.
SC? Well, I played that game, melee and whatever else, about daily.
Until Brood War.
After that, it was BW only :p
For... some very long time.

About 6 months? A year? before wc3.
I haven't touched SC in years, and I still remember every hotkey on Zerg...
WC3 though...

I started a game, me as Undead (the only cool race :p), vs 1 single comp.
And lost.
Actually, it wasn't so much as losing. It was more like totally owned. Just owned. I might just as well have been AFK.
I repeated that.
Plenty of times.
No difference.

Some day then, my former wc3 bnet partner showed up, and we tried a couple 2vs2 with people.
In the hope that they would be, well, just the same "new guys".
Which actually seemed to hold.

Then again...

There was this one game.
Lost Temple?
Well, 4 player map, top, right, bottom, left. Expansion counterclockwise. Busy Creep center with fountain.

I was Undead, he was Orc.
The other two were Human.

Somewhat early on, I moved in on bottom.
Seemed to work.
More so with some help.
We pressed the attack a bit, and it was 2vs1.
The 4th player wasn't gone yet, he had a farm at his friend's base...

Well, we had complete control over the map.
I had 4 mines going, my partner 3.
Our opponent didn't event expand to his natural.

Result?
We gave up.
Yep, you heard correctly.
We gave up.
For the simple reason that that one single player with no resources at all was simply unbeatable.

No, he wasn't even good.
No, we weren't exactly bad.
The game simply doesn't work.

I've never played any melee ever since.

When the expansion showed up, I had a look at the editor... and re-registered here.

All in all, a power-player in SC-BW, with plenty of RTS experience (yes, I've pretty much seen them all, CC, ...)
And yet, wc3 melee is just not playable.

It's certainly a great game.
Though, if it weren't for the editor, I wouldn't be here.

SC2? We will see.
I'm prepared for the worst.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Result?
We gave up.
Yep, you heard correctly.
We gave up.
For the simple reason that that one single player with no resources at all was simply unbeatable.

No, he wasn't even good.
No, we weren't exactly bad.
The game simply doesn't work.

I've never played any melee ever since.

wc3 melee is just not playable.
Why did you give up, how is it possible to not have beaten him with 4 mines????? :nuts:

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I also indeed suck at WC3 meele. It just became too complex, IMO. I hate the hero system and all...

SC is much more enjoyable. I honestly preffer to play that old, sprited game instead of the new 3d one with "improved" game dynamics and all... Where's my bloody large scale battle?! Where are the 16-20 carriers that turn everything into ash? Where are the 100 zerglings roaming through some base?...

Btw, I just played Starcraft with my dad (LAN, me on PC and he was on laptop) and we totally owned... and I enjoyed it :D.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
SC is much more enjoyable. I honestly preffer to play that old, sprited game instead of the new 3d one with "improved" game dynamics and all... Where's my bloody large scale battle?! Where are the 16-20 carriers that turn everything into ash? Where are the 100 zerglings roaming through some base?...
Play 4vs4 random team on wc3. Just mass one type of strong unit, and with the help of your allies its not to hard to win.. xD

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Meh... still, it's not the same feeling. Plus, I use to play alone against 4-5 computers in meele. When you manage to defeat those, it's much more fun :D.

I can't do that on WC :(.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
Pfft, Wc3 melee is awesome.

All you need to do is hotkey buildings, pull back hurt units, and counter enemy units.

As for Sc2, I really hope there is still a possibility to micro instead of auto-attacking. The no hero's thing could be difficult for me to grasp since I started with Wc3.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I played Wc1 and enjoyed it a looong time ago.

Since then it has evolved a lot. :D

I possess all the Warcraft Games and SC, and loved them all. Even Wc3 melee games, but Orc only!

Seriously though SC2 better be good. An improved SC would work good enough.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I started with Red Alert. :cool:

Then I moved on to RA II/Age of Empires II and then WCIII. I thought I was the only one who found melee maps impossible, now I don't feel so left out! :thup:

I always laughed at the units that would be built and trapped inside a gap. As long as it wasn't a regular melee map, I considered them to be towers if they were ranged units, or my defense. You kill my building and you unleash a couple knights! :p

I always liked auto-attack. I preferred building units that countered others, and organizing them really well, and then attacking undefended areas to having to switch units in battle constantly making them cast abilities.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.