ability effect, unit height & 5 races

W

Wanvicked

Heisann!
I've got 3 questions that I've pondered for a few days now, which I can't seem to find any answer for, and I was wondering if you could help me?

1) Object Editor - Abilities/Buffs/Effects:
I'm trying to edit the caster effect of the Shadow Hunter's Big Bad Vooodoo ability. I find the Big Bad Voodoo (caster) buff and edit the Art - Target field from BigBadVoodoo (Caster) <Target> to, in my case, "Starfall (Effect). But when I test my ability with this Starfall effect, it's still the Big Bad Voodoo (caster) effect that shows ehere my hero stands, channeling.
Where do I have to go to get this right?

2) Object Editor - Units:
I've changed the "Movement - Height" for my custom unit, so it's lifted (a value of 500) above the ground. This looks as it should in the editor, but not in-game. I have edited both the "Movement - Height" and the "Movement - Height Minimum" to 500, I have tried to change the height with the trigger Animation - Change Unit Flying Height and I have unchecked Advanced - Reset Fixed Object Heights.
Where else could I try to edit?

3) General:
Do you know of a tutorial on how to add a fifth race, or possibly even more races to a map/game?

I would appreciate any help on these :banghead:

cr4xzZz

Also known as azwraith_ftL.
Reaction score
1) Did you add the buff to the ability, because I don't see anything wrong...
2) Movement Type - Fly

W

Wanvicked

Hello again, Grommash.
I have tested what you have suggested, but I don't think this is where the problems lies.

"Big Bad Voodoo = BBV"
1) I worked around with the ability and the buffs and effects that I want to go along with it, in several ways, but the BBV buff (the caster effect, that is) is always there when I use the ability. I have checked that my buff has the effects I want, that the buff is attached to my spell and that the spell is attached to my hero.
I'm beginning to think that some effects, like the BBV, is attached to the spell in a "deeper" way into the game, that I maybe have to edit in a mpq-file or something. Could this be? Please tell me if you shuld happen to get it to work.

2) I now also have Movement - Type set to fly (I tried with Hover too), but it still stays on the ground in-game.
However, if I base my unit on f.ex. the Lich, which has Hover as Movement - Type, it works. Only, I want it to be a building like Death Tower, with attack and "non-hero" basics and all, so I couldn't get this to work out either.
I looked through the Lich's stats, but I didn't see a logic place to edit, other than the Movement variables.

3) I have just used what there are of draenei units and their closest and compiled a "race" out of that. Now I want to be able to choose this Draenei race as an equal to the four standard races in the Create Game-screen, the screen right before one would start a game, in my map and play this race as you would with any of the four races.
I don't know how easy/hard this is, but I really want to get it to work. So if you could point me to where I can read, sort of step-by-step, or explain it to me if it doesn't Take Time, I would be grateful.

Thanks for your help so far :)

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
3) I have just used what there are of draenei units and their closest and compiled a "race" out of that. Now I want to be able to choose this Draenei race as an equal to the four standard races in the Create Game-screen, the screen right before one would start a game, in my map and play this race as you would with any of the four races.
I don't know how easy/hard this is, but I really want to get it to work. So if you could point me to where I can read, sort of step-by-step, or explain it to me if it doesn't Take Time, I would be grateful.

I don't know the answer to your first two questions, but this third. There is absolutely no way you can add another race by editing the map. Remember, at that loading screen the map hasn't even been loaded. There may be a way, but I'm pretty sure you will have to dissasemble WC3 itsself. What I would do is just set up a dialog for each player and allow them to pick their race at that point.

W

Wanvicked

The sleeper has awaken

2) Eureka, I've managed to solve the Height problem. I loced about for a little longer and found that I had to edit the Art - Elevation fields to match the Lich's data and set the Movement-fields to also match the Lich's, and there I go.

3) Thanks for enlightening me, Knocksious, I will do this ;)

1) Now there is only the ability-buff problem that my soul burns for. I don't understand this: why would there be a field for editing the caster-effect on a buff, set to an ability such as BBV, when it doesn't change it anyway..?
If anybody know how this can be done, please tell me. I could usa a trigger for the effect, but then the BBV caster effect would still be there, which looks stupid on my ability, so I'm looking for something else

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
3) I believe that this map CHANGED the names of the races at the load screen, but I don't think it added any. (It also screwed up the entire of WC3, causing ALL screens that showed the race names to be altered until you reloaded the game.) I do not know how this was accomplished, though.

http://epicwar.com/maps/8360/

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
3) I believe that this map CHANGED the names of the races at the load screen, but I don't think it added any. (It also screwed up the entire of WC3, causing ALL screens that showed the race names to be altered until you reloaded the game.) I do not know how this was accomplished, though.

http://epicwar.com/maps/8360/

Game Interface, then.

W

Wanvicked

I created the map, but it didn't have any name changes at the loading screen, just the regular 4. And I changed the names for the races in the Game Interface, but those changes didn't show in the map creation screen for my map either. Probably because of what Knocksious said about the map hasn't been loaded at that point.
I also tried to open the map in the world editor, but I couldn't because of too small storage:

And I thought: this may solve another problem I have: one of my custom maps crashes every time I play it with my friends, half an hour or so into gameplay, for some reason(s) I don't know, with this message:

How can I make more storage?

W

Wanvicked

Sorry about the first small picture, it says:
This application has encountered a critical error:
Not enough storage is available to process command.
Program: e:\the game\warcraft iii\worldedit.exe
Object: WERandomGroupSet (.?AUWERandomGroupSet@@)

Press OK to terminate the application.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
That message has nothing to do with your comp's memory or disk space.
The map is either corrupted, in which case you better have a backup, or it simply isn't yours and it's protected.

W

Wanvicked

Corrupted in a fixable way, then? Because I wasn't smart enough to backup it :eek: It's gotta be fixable, it works fine for about half an hour, before it crashes. Guess I just have to plunder around some more. Oh, it's mine alright, I made it from scratch ;) No protection here, just casual sex

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
he says that it runs fine for like a half hour, that is the only discrepancy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.