ability raw code [?]

RangerX

I am justice!
Reaction score
how the editor generate ability when you copy paste abilities you get

A000,A001,A002,A003,A004 how can i find out how to count them cuz i will create about 12 spells based on channel and using newgenpack i put the first 4 using this rawid codes Z000,Z001,Z003,Z004 but i need more i know i can go up to 9 but then what ?

RangerX

I am justice!
Reaction score
i don't whant to mess it up i want to be sure it doesn't is something like Z009,Z00A

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
the raw code is just a number, doesnt "really" matter.

however, some things got to be kept in your mind!

the first digit is very important! it determines the "kind" of the object you have just created.
a B is always for a buff, an A or S for an ability. An I is always for items.
regular units got h = human, o = Orc, u = undead, n = nightelf and for heroes these are capital letters, a human palading got an 'Hpal' a footman a 'hfoo', a grunt got 'ogru', a blademaster got 'Obla'.

i dont know if something will mess up if you would give an ability a first digit which is for items or buffs or something like that though, but i wouldnt really want to find out and mess up my map or editor.

however, the last 3 digits are free to use however you like it.

the "normal" way it goes is:
0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,[...],a,b,c,d,e,[...]
but you can enter whatever values you like as long as it isnt used already!

DioD

Reaction score
namespace for skills is virtually UNLIMITED.
first 2 chars provide over 5000 combinations and this space completely collusion safe (there is no object with A0xx exist in game)

RangerX

I am justice!
Reaction score
if someone will copypaste the abilities they will colide if if there are more with A00x that's why i use Z00x

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
if you copy and paste an object in the object editor it will automatically get a new and unused raw code by the system.

DioD

Reaction score
never saw map with skills collision (9 years but no such map exist)

ofc you can create skill with unit rawcode if you want it, but this will have unexpected results and cannot be done by accident.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
never saw map with skills collision (9 years but no such map exist)

ofc you can create skill with unit rawcode if you want it, but this will have unexpected results and cannot be done by accident.

then you havent ever used JNGP. you can set the raw codes yourself using that programm. and its very very useful, i do it alot to save time.

when creating a new race for some kind of game (td, melee, rts, whatever) you just give every unit of that race a 4 digits keyword which resembles it best and when you make a barrack unit training list or a peasants building list you can add the raw codes using the "Shift" button instead of browsing through the brush list which can become tedious work.

DioD

Reaction score
@Accname

well, post any viable use of skill collusion (or any other object collusion) never saw one.

custom rawcodes is good only for objects included into system distributive for easy install.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
just create a new unit using JNGP and set its raw code to be 'hfoo' and you will see yourself what might happen if you are not careful.
i dont need to post anything for you.

and i doubt you can say about anything on earth that it is only useful for one single purpose.
i have great use of custom raw codes without using jass systems but even when creating custom rts games which do not need alot of triggering.

DioD

Reaction score
@Accname

viable use
crushing edior is not viable use...

and...
what advantages of 'j0AZ' over 'A001' ?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
it is viable. do you think every map maker knows every single raw code which is already used by heart? i guess not.
it can always happen that someone who doesnt know better uses the code 'Obla' for his custom Orc Balderunner hero without knowing thats exactly the raw code for the orc blademaster.

its a great advantage to call your tower 'mTow' instead of 'h0a5'.
especially if you are going to make 5 versions of this tower each version having different tinting colours and a chaos spell associated which shall morph them.
you call them mTo1, mTo2, mTo3, mTo4, mTo5 and then within the chaos ability you can enter the raw code instead of browsing through your 50 other towers you made before.

you tell me to use arguments of viable use and you come yourself with j0AZ, think better.

DioD

Reaction score
when you create objects its rawcode follow simple rule 1-9-A-Z-a-z and you dont need to force set rawcode to keep this order.

in your case, you forced to remember every group of objects (in your head or some external storage), sacrifice time and "simple factor" for nothing.

if you forget about mTo2 already used, and pass new object - crush and work lost, and there is no notification about.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
there is nothing lost. you simply delete the newly created unit and use another value.

and i dont think at all that you can keep exactly in mind what custom value the 17 tower got you created or even what the 17 created tower was. you make your td with about 30 towers a race and you shall know what tower got what raw code? good luck, if you can then you must be some kind of genius in remembering the orders of events.

but if you give each race in your td an own prefix, each tower its own id (arrow tower got an 'at' as its second and third letter) and then every version of this tower an own number ('at1', 'at2', 'at3') i just canot believe that you could possibly say that this would be harder to keep in mind then remembering whether arrow tower 3 was created before you made the stun tower or what tower came after the stun tower, was it the ice or the fire tower?

just stop this nonsense discussion, it is rediculous of you to really insist this hard on your opinion though i gave viable and comprehensible examples of use. i am just telling you not everybody thinks alike, you cannot just come and say "there is only one single purpose for this or that, if you say something else you are dumb and wasting time"

this whole thread is an example for it. rangerX used the prefix Z for all of his channel skills instead of A or S. he did this because he believes its easier for him to keep it in mind and i can understand his attitude. only because you do not agree doesnt mean we are wrong and you are the only one with a good argument.

DioD

Reaction score
this is some "public expirience" about how to do things right.

TriggerSleepAction() is wrong, ever if this is easier for someone.

custom rawcodes is wrong, it have no advanages and multiple problems.

you may develop your map one day per week, or one hour per week, keeping log just becouse long ago you decide to use Z prefix...

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
Wrong? Just because it cause bugs in some circumstance its wrong? I don't think so, it work in some cases and is useful for some people, also before you said something about "timer bla bla", I know, I don't need someone to teach me what [ljass]TriggerSleepAction[/ljass] should/shouldn't do.

:nuts:

The problem ins't in custom rawcodes itself, the problem is generated by someone who really is trying to create problems.

You don't want to get a System which increase Life and try to increase Mana, doens't?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
this is some "public expirience" about how to do things right.

you may develop your map one day per week, or one hour per week, keeping log just becouse long ago you decide to use Z prefix...

you are going way too off-topic here and i see that you have no arguments left.
i regret to see that i couldnt convince you but i wont go on with this childish discussion. you can keep on it as long as you like saying "this is wrong", "that is wrong", "you are all wrong". i told you my honest opinion. i gave you examples, viable and comprehensible examples as i believe and you are not giving me any arguments but "ITS WRONG !!!!11one!1oneone!1".

maybe somebody else will take over and keep you attentive but dont expect me to post anything in this thread anymore.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.