about disable/enable abilities

Yamuraiha

Reaction score
I have 2 Thunder Clap (with the same hotkey), I give both of the abilities to a unit (Turtle), then I disable one of the two Thunder Clap, when I start the game, there is only one thunder clap icon but when the unit use the enabled ability, both of the 2 thunder clap release at the same time @@

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
If you have many abilities with the same order string on the same unit, all of them will be cast at once. Change the order string of the second Thunder Clap, and they should no longer execute at once.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Changing the order string won't help.
Only few abilities can be owned in numbers in a single unit because their Base Order ID can be changed. Channel, Charge gold/lumber and Spell Book.

For your case, the turnaround is to trigger the casting. Use Channel as base ability. Then spawn a dummy to cast your respective Thunder Clap abilities.

Yamuraiha

Reaction score
what is order string? I've also tried to do the same thing with Mana Burn ability and it worked fine. Why?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> what is order string?
It's just some identity assigned to each ability in WC3. All ability has unique order string. The 'Order string' field in Object Editor is just to tell you what identity is it. Changing it won't do anything. If one unit has more than one ability with similar order string, the engine gets confused. So when you cast the spell, either both will fire together or a random one will get triggered.

Channel, Charge Gold/Lumber and Spell Book are unique because they can have custom Base Order ID. So the casting for these abilities can be customised depending on the Base Order ID field. For example, if you set the Base Order ID for a Channel ability to 'attack'. The ability will fire whenever you order the unit to attack. Or if you change to 'thunderclap', the unit will cast Channel when you order it to thunderclap.

> I've also tried to do the same thing with Mana Burn ability and it worked fine
Serendipity. You're just lucky it worked?

afisakov

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
So when you cast the spell, either both will fire together or a random one will get triggered.
You're just lucky it worked?
It does not actually take THAT much luck. In my experience the "random" is only half true. While I do not know how the game chooses which ability which ability to prioritize, I do know that the choice is consistent. aka, once the game decides which one it likes more, it will cast that one first, every game every time (unless unable due to cooldown, etc).
So if it chose the correct mana burn randomly from the get-go, then you will see it correct every time. However if you now tried to reserve which ability gets disabled, I bet it would start casting the "wrong" mana burn every time instead.

Yamuraiha

Reaction score
I don't know if this is right but I tested 2 more skill (Shadow Strike & Stormbolt) and I think that if the ability is not a instantly but a target then it would work fine @@.

Reaction score
I have 2 Thunder Clap (with the same hotkey), I give both of the abilities to a unit (Turtle), then I disable one of the two Thunder Clap, when I start the game, there is only one thunder clap icon but when the unit use the enabled ability, both of the 2 thunder clap release at the same time @@

what is order string? I've also tried to do the same thing with Mana Burn ability and it worked fine. Why?

I don't know if this is right but I tested 2 more skill (Shadow Strike & Stormbolt) and I think that if the ability is not a instantly but a target then it would work fine @@.

Hmm, why did you have to had same ability in one unit...?
I'm so confused...:confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.