Act / sat

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
So.. I'm taking the ACT for school in a few months. Trying to figure out how to prepare for it. Any tips? People who've done well on the ACT, or even the SAT, which I might take as well?

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I won't be taking my ACTs until next summer, but a lot of people who score 30s study the whole year before the test. I suggest you do the same. That's going to be my practice as well.

Some may find this strategy ridiculous, but some people have never studied for a test in their life. Learning things slowly and consistent reviewing will help you a lot. You don't get much time to think, so it's better to know the answer rather than to think about it.

I'm personally stressing over the English part. I took too long trying to get all my answers correct on the PLAN test. I didn't finish 5, so I lost 5 points from 15. Even though I was still above average, I want a perfect score. But I hear a lot of people do well on the English section...

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
The ACT is an aptitude test. It tests your knowledge. Can you do these math problems? Etc. Things to study include: Vocabulary, Mathematics through Pre-Calculus, Grammar, Graph Interpretation. The subjects involved are English, Math, and Science.

The SAT is not the same thing. It is a reasoning test. Calculators are less helpful on the math problems because they don't require you to just compute numbers. They require you to think about the problem and understand what is being asked. The same is true on the SAT English section. Less grammar, more reasoning.

The two tests are structured differently, and some people will do very well on one and not as good on the other, depending on your learning style. I did better on the ACT (35 where the max score is 36), but I didn't do terribly on the SAT - just not as good.

Hope this helps. :)

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
The two tests are structured differently, and some people will do very well on one and not as good on the other, depending on your learning style. I did better on the ACT (35 where the max score is 36), but I didn't do terribly on the SAT - just not as good.

Nice! I think this is what I'm headed for too (better on the ACT than the SAT), that just seems to be my learning style. The Science Reasoning tripped me up on the PLAN. Any strategies on that? I had a really good Freshmen English teacher, so the english section was easy. Same with math.

The writing wasn't tested, and it seems kind of difficult to self-test. :p Any strategies you used for that? (What did you get?)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I got a 29 but I didn't really study... forgot about it.

I did good on the writing because I had a bunch of essay classes where they fail you for everything. I would just ask the AP teacher to read something you wrote off one of the older prompts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.