actor-data-SLOWS EDITOR

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
Hi there,

I went into the data editor under the tab 'actor' and forgot to set the settings to 'table view'
So this caused me waiting about 10 SECONDS before I could do anything
I forgot to set it at 'detailed view' so when I pressed this button I had to wait about 20 SECONDS

1. Can somebody tell me why the editor going slower compared with a time ago?

2. Is there a way to go into actor-events while using 'table view'?

3. Is there a way to select multiple actor-events to copy/paste or delete?

4. Is it possible to start-up the editor without any standard data?

MissKerrigan

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
1) I've noticed this since patch 1.5. I think it has something to do with one of the changes Blizzard made which means that you won't be able to do anything to help fix it.

2) Double click on the property (same as you would to edit any other property)

3) Not that I know of. If you giving multiple actors the same events then you can just create an Event Macro with those events and give each unit the macro. This will mean you only need to type our the events once.

4) No. The standard data is loaded because your map requires it.

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
in the data editor I can select 'all data' or 'only my map data'

the editor seems quitte faster to work when selecting only my data but it still goes VERY SLOW when going into the actor data and loading 'icons' or 'models' because there are thousands of them

Just for curiousity, if I NOT duplicate a marine but right click and 'add new unit' is this all I have to do then?

- set new unit type to 'unit'
- creating an actor with the 'marine' model
- adding an actor event 'unit birth marine: 'create'

or should I do more things than this when create a 'new' unit?

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
All units, ammo units as well as normal units need movers to move.
If it did not have a mover it would not be able to move at all, a normal ground unit usually have the mover "Ground" attached to it. (Set under Movement: Mover)

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
Uhm.. well as this was - as you said - just for curiousity, I asume there is, and never was a problem with this. But yes creating a unit would need an actor with events that create it upon birth and destroys upon death. A vision range, a mover and a weapon.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
What are you going to use these units for? If it's a complex unit, I almost always duplicate it. I only check the main unit actor and other stuff that I need a copy of.

Why do you need to be saved from the "unnecessary actor-events and icons and abilities"? If you don't duplicate everything(which you shouldn't), it will only be references to other objects which take basically no place at all.

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
for example:

1. there are about 10 actor-events in every unit about some grafitation beam

I don't use any phoenix in my game so this are unnecessary actor-events

2. if I would duplicate a banshee, there are about 10 actor-events about 'cloacking'

I use banshees in my game, but they never cloacking

3. for a lot zerg units, there are about 10-20 actor-events about 'burrowing'

There is no burrow-ability in my game, so I not need this

so I think if I got about 500 actor-events which are unnecessary, then my map is about +2 mb

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
What you need to be aware of is where this data is saved. Although you might have 500 actor events which are unnecessary, all these actor events come from objects which are saved in the blizzard mods. What this means is that none of this data is actually saved into your map file and hence by deleting them, it won't decrease your map file by 2MB (or whatever the amount works out to be).

In fact, it will actually do the opposite. If you delete the actor events, your map file will need to contain all of the data you have deleted so the game know how to build your object.

To make this clearer, lets look at an example. Say you want a new marine unit that is exactly the same as the standard marine but with a movement speed of 3.0 instead of 2.25. To do this, create a new unit object and set the Parent to Marine (you need to check Show Non-Default to be able to do this). Then set the Movement: Speed property to the new value. What you have told the game is that your new "Marine" object is exactly the same as the standard Marine object, but the Movement: Speed property is different. So when you save your map, the only data that needs to be saved for your new Marine unit is the change to the movement speed. The game knows that your unit is based on that standard marine so it only needs to save the changes that you have made. The more changes you make, the more data that needs to be saved.

You can figure out where the data is saved for property by lloking at the colour of the property. Grey means that the data is saved in the Core.Mod file (so that property is NOT saved into your map and thus not taking up any space in your map file). Blue means that the data is saved in one the the Blizzard Mods (again this means that the data is NOT saved into your map file and thus not taking up any space). Green means that the property is saved in your map file. So only properties that are green will take up space in your map. If you make any changes to fields that are not green, then these changes will need to be saved into your map and thus will take up valuable map space.

Please make sure you understand this (if not, say so) as it will tell you which properties you can change/deleted in order to make it take up less space in your map file.

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
thx dave, that was some nice explanation!

I aware now that I only check green lines if they are possible to delete

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.