Adobe Photoshop CS4 : What the hell?

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
I recently downloaded CS4 - and glad I didn't waste even a cent doing so.

The interface has received a welcoming change, making it look much more modern. It's introduced tabbing for multiple pictures which works really well. The interface seem to direct the eyes towards the painting or picture you're doing, a subtle effect that eases long term editing.

However, it ends there. One of the big features Photoshop CS4 adds is model painting support - however I'm not sure why they did this. Texturing using photoshop is a small minority, and many programs do this better than photoshop. Mudbox for example, does a surpurb (if buggy) job at this.

Next, we have performance. Now I have a pretty good computer - quad core 2.3, 8600GT graphics, 6gigs of ram on vista64bit. I understand photoshop is a bit bloated - however needing 5 SECONDS every time I want to select something is way too much.
Yes, you heard me. When you go down to drag and select, it takes 5 seconds before you make the selection box. Same with moving an object, or rotating, or using clone tool.
If you don't disable OPENGL, the same effect will go onto drawing. Freshly installed, CS4's drawing would happen at about 1 frame per second. Yes, it would update every second.

Like I said before, disabling opengl would revert the speed back to normal.
Not only that, but it's crashed twice on me while saving.
Googling my problems showed a good majority of the community also feels this way.

Seriously adobe, WTF? /rant

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
I was pleased with the tabbing also, but overall I found CS4 to be garbage.

I am going to be using CS2 instead.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Yeah.. Adobe Photoshop are pretty crappy to use.
"Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI" are a lot better!

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
Don't get mixed up FireCat, Photoshop is great, Adobe just decided to add some cool features to CS4 and take a giant shit on the rest of the program.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Don't get mixed up FireCat, Photoshop is great, Adobe just decided to add some cool features to CS4 and take a giant shit on the rest of the program.
lol ok. well, I never liked any of Adobe software's anyway.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use CS3 and that is great.

I was going to try the CS4 trial, but now I might not.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I use CS4 but I don't face any of the problems you mentioned.

Though I do think that layout/format of CS3 was better.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm currently using CS3. Haven't put much thought in CS4, though.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I was a hardcore CS2, but transitioned to CS3 because of better features. I tried CS4 and just hated the interface. CS3 is good for me.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
GIMP fixed a lot of it's crash bugs recently, so even if I go way over on my memory usage it still works fine, although slower, until I cut back on my running programs.

GIMP is still a bit behind though. They really need to add a warp tool like Photoshop has, but this isn't a thread about GIMP.

What I hope they implement in CS5 is some upgraded 3D capabilities. Right now 3D is supported in CS4, but I don't think you can wrap textures around the models and such, which would be nice.

Although, there arn't quite as many features (Such as inverting selection)

CTRL + I to invert your selection.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
i use cs4 since ive been living off the trials since the only photoshop i actually own is photoshop 7, i haven't noticed it as laggier then CS3 photoshop (load time maybe a few seconds, but no lag from clicking and doing most stuff), do you guys have the x64 version of photoshop or the x32 one? i have the x64 one and have the graphics card acceleration turned on as well, could that be the reason?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I use CS4, as does my mom. Shes a photographer, so she uses photoshop for hours on a daily basis and I've noticed no issues related to anything like what you guys are saying. Perhaps it's your computer/os setup, as neither of us even remotely get any lag with using it all day?

We used CS2 until CS4 came out, I just like the interface of CS4 better.

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
The slowdowns using CS4 seem to be hardware related - I haven't really looked too far indepth with it. But I'm almost positive it's not from how powerful my card is - it can run Crysis at medium with a few on very high.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.