Advise Needed

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
So I just took down my internet connection because it has been causing me financial troubles. Actually, I want to start a business of my own so cutting expenses is a must for me. Not to mention without internet, I would less likely use the computer and that would save me a lot of money from electric bills.

The thing is, my friend told me that his boss was looking for a VA that would do SEO for him. I was interested but then I have second thoughts. He said that his boss would pay for my internet bills which means that I would be using the computer more often than before. Another thing is that I have a day job from 9am to 6pm. I will be working with him at least 4 hours from 7pm to 11pm which means that I won't be able to do my afterwork hobbies and fun. I fear that the part time pay won't be sufficient to satisfy me for losing that important time of my life. As a matter of fact, I only get 5 hours of time for myself on weekdays. So sacrificing 4 hours of that for extra income seems like too much.

Another thing is that I won't have enough time to manage the business well when the time comes for me to start. So I'm torn apart. Whether I want the free internet connection and remain to pay the high electricity bills or settle with only my day job and enjoy my life is a hard decision for me.

So what do you think? Will I accept the offer or not? I want to hear your opinions :)

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Question #1: If you HAD to take both jobs, would you be responsible enough to see both through?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
9-6pm. Then 7 to 11pm. 13 hours is just too much.

Don't do too many things at a go. It won't work well. Get a balance. Leisure and work. Also, health plays a role here. Why the hardwork when you risk getting yourself overstressed. Medical bills aren't cheap.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Question #1: If you HAD to take both jobs, would you be responsible enough to see both through?

Honestly, I don't know but I am responsible on whatever task that I do. I haven't touched SEO for years. Now all I know that still works is backlinking since the Panda update removed all other stuff like keyword spamming, etc. Also, I heard he will make me code an Android APP which I don't have any idea with. My friend told him that I can code and he thought that I am a programmer. I once showed that friend of mine some simple games (tetris, snake, colors, alien attack) I coded at the office (it was prohibited but I did it anyway because of boredom) using javascript (since obviously that's the only available language) and he was amazed. That's the reason why he recommended me.

9-6pm. Then 7 to 11pm. 13 hours is just too much.

Don't do too many things at a go. It won't work well. Get a balance. Leisure and work. Also, health plays a role here. Why the hardwork when you risk getting yourself overstressed. Medical bills aren't cheap.

That friend of mine works at the office and at the same time works for his boss until 4am. He only sleeps for 2 hours which is crazy then goes off to day job again. Clearly an abuse in health just for money?

camelCase

Reaction score
If you don't have the confidence to pull it off, I'd rather you not do it. Try turning him down and explain precisely why (the skills you lack). If he is insistent, take the job because he can't fault you when you can't deliver.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
That friend of mine works at the office and at the same time works for his boss until 4am. He only sleeps for 2 hours which is crazy then goes off to day job again. Clearly an abuse in health just for money?
Abuse of health just for money is unwise imho. You can do this while you're young and not get any bad effects... for now. Shit only happens when you grow older. As I've said, the key word is balance.

Sides, you're kinda reluctant and not confident. Otherwise, you wouldn't have had posted this to ask opinions.

Whatever that camelCase said above is pretty sound. Give it a serious thought.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I would less likely use the computer and that would save me a lot of money from electric bills.
Eh.. a computer doesn't use as much electricity as you might think.. Really!

Anyway, I agree with the comment above. :cool:

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
If you don't have the confidence to pull it off, I'd rather you not do it. Try turning him down and explain precisely why (the skills you lack). If he is insistent, take the job because he can't fault you when you can't deliver.

Abuse of health just for money is unwise imho. You can do this while you're young and not get any bad effects... for now. Shit only happens when you grow older. As I've said, the key word is balance.

Sides, you're kinda reluctant and not confident. Otherwise, you wouldn't have had posted this to ask opinions.

Whatever that camelCase said above is pretty sound. Give it a serious thought.

I'll give the decision this evening and I'll try to turn him down.. I'm not very confident at all. Actually, I took up business administration in college so that pretty much explains it well, I don't have a background in programming. I love to program but its just a hobby.

Eh.. a computer doesn't use as much electricity as you might think.. Really!

Anyway, I agree with the comment above. :cool:

well 3 years ago, I only pay at around Php 500 per month. After I bought a computer, It jumped to Php 1200 per month. After I got an internet connection, It jumped to Php 1800 per month + a Php 1300 bill for the internet. So from 1200, it became 3100 a month and my income is fucked up and I only get at least Php 7000 a month lol. Pretty low pay rate her from where I live.

camelCase

Reaction score
Get a job in a neighbouring country?
I have a friend from the Philippines who works in Singapore because he gets paid more than back home.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Get a job in a neighbouring country?
I have a friend from the Philippines who works in Singapore because he gets paid more than back home.

That's the reason why people fled from the Philippines, you work for the same job and pressure but the pay is 4x more. You see a lot of our people everywhere. My bro is planning to go abroad, so I'll just let him go first.

camelCase

Reaction score
Any plans for you? (A somewhat private question, I guess, but you're anonymous!)

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Any plans for you? (A somewhat private question, I guess, but you're anonymous!)

No plans to go abroad yet. I'll just keep myself busy and I think I will do a port of SyncMusic (my abandoned fb app) to android since it doesn't work on FB anymore. What site can I learn to make an android app?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
well 3 years ago, I only pay at around Php 500 per month. After I bought a computer, It jumped to Php 1200 per month. After I got an internet connection, It jumped to Php 1800 per month + a Php 1300 bill for the internet. So from 1200, it became 3100 a month and my income is fucked up and I only get at least Php 7000 a month lol.
"Holy crap, that's crazy!!" No wonder you have financial troubles. Well, free time are very important to have.! But you can always try one month, And you will see! Well, if you accept his offer. Just remember to make a contract with him. That's Important! No matter how long it will be.

Btw: He would only pay your "internet bills" and nothing else?

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
"Holy crap, that's crazy!!" No wonder you have financial troubles. Well, free time are very important to have.! But you can always try one month, And you will see! Well, if you accept his offer. Just remember to make a contract with him. That's Important! No matter how long it will be.

Btw: He would only pay your "internet bills" and nothing else?

Internet bills + salary of Php 200 per 4 hours.

Oh well, I just turned down the offer and I'm happy I did it. Now I can focus on reading more about android apps.

camelCase

Reaction score
I only know how to make Android games which is vastly different from making regular Android apps. =/
Can't help you there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.