Advise on which Web Hosting Provide to choose

Volkof

Reaction score
Hi all,

Which Web Hosting Provider would you guys recommend? This includes buying the domain name, uploading into server slot and bandwidth.

Code:
1.godaddy
2.Temple Media
3.Others - please state

I heard that godaddy takes 5 mins to refresh.

My group's website criteria is to store database of Module Reviews. User Database is expected to hit more than 1000.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I would buy the domain name from Namecheap and start out by hosting it at a reputable shared hosting provider. I don't do shared hosting, so I'm not really sure who is any good in that area anymore. I would say NOT GoDaddy.
You should check out Web Hosting Talk for offers and reviews. This is the shared hosting discussion forum where you will find lots of experiences and reviews:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

And this is the offers forum where providers will post deals for hosting:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

The threads stuck on the top of that forum are generally large providers who have paid for their thread to be stickied. Some of them are probably good providers, but you'd want to look up some reviews before making a choice.

I recommend segmenting the domain name from the hosting provider because it makes it less of a hassle to move hosts if you have a bad experience, outgrow what they offer you, or find a better deal somewhere else. You should not have any interaction with your domain registrar really, so it's much less likely something bad will happen there (and there should be no need to upgrade/move with a name, right?)

As for your requirements, do you expect those 1000 users to sign up quickly? Do you have any idea how much actual traffic (as far as views/day or so) that you are anticipating? Shared hosting should be fine for low traffic stuff just getting started, but if you're expecting more traffic, I can give you advice on where to go from there.

Volkof

Reaction score
Actually for Domain name, is there any different on which Provider? I thought registering for Domain Name just makes it public.
I entered my desire domain name to Namecheap and goDaddy.
Namecheap price at $10.69/yr
goDaddy price at $9.99/yr

For the requirements, the number of users is expected to grow slowly over the years. I anticipate 500 for first year, and would double for 2nd year and so on. It is a website for students to post and view on their school modules. Traffic will be high only when the number of module reviews are substantial.

By the way, what do you mean by "Shared" hosting?

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
I jumped ship from GoDaddy because they initially supported the SOPA legislation that was being proposed some months ago. Also, having used both of them, I find Namecheap's control panel to be a bit easier to use.

> what do you mean by "Shared" hosting?

Shared hosting is the cheapest kind of hosting. It's where you have many different websites hosted from the same physical server, which helps drive costs as low as they are. Depending on the hardware capabilities of the box, you could be on the same machine with upwards of 150 to 200 other websites. That's how you're able to only pay a few dollars per month for hosting.

Volkof

Reaction score
oh, so Shared Hosting is for multiple websites hosted on same server. Haha but I have not even created my first website yet :p

By the way, not sure if you answered my question on Domain Name, since it is just a Domain Name, does it matter which Provider I choose?

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> so Shared Hosting is for multiple websites hosted on same server.

Yes, but not all from the same person. A hosting provider will host sites from many different customers on the same server. Yours would be one of many other sites on the same box.

> since it is just a Domain Name, does it matter which Provider I choose?

I guess only you can decide that. Registrars might vary slightly in price and features they offer to customers (for example, some registrars will offer a free SSL certificate with your account). They might have different propagation times or an easier to use interface.
It's up to you. I would say the choice of webhost is far more important than the choice of registrar on the whole. I gave my recommendation based on my experience, but feel free to do your own research. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.