Aeon of Dominion

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
So i think I am going to take a break for a bit off of Hulk's Heroes, feel like I am getting a bit burnt out.... :( ... anywho, and this is something I have wanted to do for quite some time now

for starters, please read threw all of this is you plan on responding, thank you

now...

so, lets go to it

this is a mini project that I have started, and I am really excited to be starting this and doing something new :)

so, what is it?

It is going to be a mix of between an AOS, an Arena, and a Defense type map, but not very close to any of them to really fit into any of those categories

There are 2 teams, each with up to 3 players per team(each player gets 1 hero), you have a small base that you are trying to keep alive, lose it and you lose the game, take out the other teams base and you win

The actual lane(of which there is only one) is going to be pretty small, with only 1 set of towers

There is also a large arena type area, where you can find and fight heroes, or creep neut. creeps for gold/items

You can upgrade your towers and your creeps, to try and overtake the other team, or you can try to beef up your hero and take it in that fashion.

What is different about this then other maps?

Well I feel I have learned a lot of the past few months, from reading posts, playing others maps and playing a part in their creation, as well as making my own. Not only that but I have learned a lot in the actual coding and fun aspect of map making that I think can really help me here

The idea is to make a fast paced, terribly fun and strategic game, that always keeps you occupied.

The hero system will work differently, but I am not sure exactly how yet. I do not think you will level at all(I don't like that really too much, the first 5-10 minutes of the game should not determine who wins, and I want the game to be fun and fast paced from the get go, so having all your abilities right at the start will aid in this).

I like this because, you should not have to level your hero, and give the advantage to the winning team, item should do that for you.

You will upgrade yourself somehow, I am not too sure yet though. I am also thinking about a different ulti, where you have to do stuff to get it, and once you use it, you have to do more stuff to get it back, maybe taking damage, dealing damage, getting energy, or something

I am also thinking about some sort of mini games, or quests, you do them, you get increased stuff, either for your hero, or for your base or creeps, or something, should add to team work, because you will need the whole team to do them

What do I got so far?

I have lots and lots of stuff, download and see :)

But I will be working on it as much as possible, when I have the time

What do I need from you fine people?

Well ideas, thoughts, suggestions, and general help/testing is always wanted. If you would like to participate in the creation of this, let me know, and we can talk some.

1 very interesting thing is, I will realice this open source...I feel no more need to hide my knowledge and information, people will be able to learn a lot about map making and JASS coding from it, and I think that is good. I will however also release an optimized version, which is for actual playing online and such, because it makes it smaller and faster

don't talk about hero AI just yet, I may down the road, but I want to worry about getting the map started for now

anywho, I hope for a lot of discussion here about this, and please everyone, let me know what you think!!!

**Full version up for playing, enjoy**

Progress

Terrain : llllllllll 99%

Triggers : llllllllll 99%
Items : llllllllll 99%
Heroes :llllllllll 99%

Attachments

• wholemap.JPG
    wholemap.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 570
  • mid-arena.JPG
    mid-arena.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 508
  • lower-arena.JPG
    lower-arena.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 434
  • upperleft-arena.JPG
    upperleft-arena.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 483
  • alliance base.JPG
    alliance base.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 483
  • AoD Change Log.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 305
  • Aeon of Dominion v1.08.w3x
    363 KB · Views: 450

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Interesting idea you got there.

Well, you could always do stuff where you kill a enemy and there is chance they will drop a rune that you use to improve health and stats or youcan sell for cash. You shouldn't remove leveling, but make it slower. And have abilitys doing damage based off of a stat. Like fireball will increase with inteligence, windwalk with agility, and critical strike with strength.

Good luck can't wait to see it finished.

emjlr3

Reaction score
yea I was thiking about something with gems, or getting something when you kill heroes or something

and i dont see a point to having slow lvling, if lvling at all, cuz I want the game to be fast, not slow, creeping for 10 minutes to try and get another level, or another skill

any more elaboration on that whole stats increase abilities idea?

anyone else?

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
i don't think you should make the ability's damage depend on your stats. rather, make your heroes able to "learn more" by casting.
for example
you cast fireball 10 times - you get lvl 2 fireball. you cast lvl 2 fireball 20 times - you get lvl 3. of course this would require certain balancing (for example you should disallow the player to lvl one ability more at some point if the other abilities "fell behind").
also you could make an option to challenge a person from the other team to a duel. the one that wins this should receive some special bonus for his entire team, not for him directly. also the challenged person must accept this duel.
open source hmm...good idea but if i were you i would wait with doing this. let the first version be optimized only. when your map gets popular so that everyone would know its yours and when you make sure you fixed the bugs at least (so that no one will come with an idea of trying to fix them himself and making a rigged version while doing so) then release it open source.

emjlr3

Reaction score
SFilip said:
i don't think you should make the ability's damage depend on your stats. rather, make your heroes able to "learn more" by casting.
for example
you cast fireball 10 times - you get lvl 2 fireball. you cast lvl 2 fireball 20 times - you get lvl 3. of course this would require certain balancing (for example you should disallow the player to lvl one ability more at some point if the other abilities "fell behind").
also you could make an option to challenge a person from the other team to a duel. the one that wins this should receive some special bonus for his entire team, not for him directly. also the challenged person must accept this duel.
open source hmm...good idea but if i were you i would wait with doing this. let the first version be optimized only. when your map gets popular so that everyone would know its yours and when you make sure you fixed the bugs at least (so that no one will come with an idea of trying to fix them himself and making a rigged version while doing so) then release it open source.

need idea about increasing the levels by casting them, its like you actually learn, like an rpg(Morrowind)

maybe you can learn the next leve(say lvl 3 of fireball) untill uve learned lvl2 of of ur other 2 abilities

dont think there will be duels though :(, thats what creep jacking is about, if heroes go to try and creep

i dont care of ppl edit it, and anyone that retarded to take it and rig it wont be able to do shit with my triggers anyway

ty for comments guys

still looking for a terrainer ;)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
emjlr3 said:
need idea about increasing the levels by casting them, its like you actually learn, like an rpg(Morrowind)

maybe you can learn the next leve(say lvl 3 of fireball) untill uve learned lvl2 of of ur other 2 abilities
exactly :)
and yeah, i got the idea while playing oblivion :D

also perhaps making it harder to get "ability xp" from creeps than from casting on heroes? and make sure you don't repeat the oblivion exploits if you decide to use this system (you can get a weak creep to attack you there while you heal yourself and get alot of skill points that way).
of course a couple of ability level tomes wouldn't hurt (just make sure they are expencive and have a large stock replenish time).

a bounty system would be important here aswell. i suggest something that depends on the damage you do...the thing i hate the most about angel arena (except for the fact that the whole map is crap) is that some idiot can backstab you when you are really close to killing a high level creep. not to mention how annoying it is when a creep in some aos comes to "help you" finish a tower.

Pahl

Reaction score
Good map idea.. I hate that its always about who's got the highest level, and because that hero is one level infront of everybody else he kicks everyones ass and gets even more levels until he crushes al the bases singlehandedly... kinda like in dota.. :p

Although if you get levels from using abilities, will that work with abilities that dont need a target too? that could create a rush to use the abilities as soon as the cooldown is over.

(speaking of oblivion, i used a low level "unlock" spell and targeted an unlocked door, put a weight on the casting key and let him fire away for 30 min. When i got back i had maxed that skill and got 6-7 levels :p)

emjlr3

Reaction score
exactly
and yeah, i got the idea while playing oblivion

also perhaps making it harder to get "ability xp" from creeps than from casting on heroes? and make sure you don't repeat the oblivion exploits if you decide to use this system (you can get a weak creep to attack you there while you heal yourself and get alot of skill points that way).
of course a couple of ability level tomes wouldn't hurt (just make sure they are expencive and have a large stock replenish time).

a bounty system would be important here aswell. i suggest something that depends on the damage you do...the thing i hate the most about angel arena (except for the fact that the whole map is crap) is that some idiot can backstab you when you are really close to killing a high level creep. not to mention how annoying it is when a creep in some aos comes to "help you" finish a tower.

well none of the abilities will be target castable, only point, thus bring to light the concept of everything can be dodged/takes skill to use

ability level thomes...neat idea

and what is this whole bounty system u r talkign about, im sorta lost

Good map idea.. I hate that its always about who's got the highest level, and because that hero is one level infront of everybody else he kicks everyones ass and gets even more levels until he crushes al the bases singlehandedly... kinda like in dota..

Although if you get levels from using abilities, will that work with abilities that dont need a target too? that could create a rush to use the abilities as soon as the cooldown is over.

(speaking of oblivion, i used a low level "unlock" spell and targeted an unlocked door, put a weight on the casting key and let him fire away for 30 min. When i got back i had maxed that skill and got 6-7 levels )

ur abilities level from using them, u dont get any levels yourself

a rush,yes maybe, but using the ability over and over when not needed could cause u to not be able to use it when it is needed

another idea I jsut though of stems from Morrowind too, increase hero stats...how to do it?

possibly the more your run around the higher they get, or the more you do stuff, the hihher they get, etc., not sure of the specifics yet

some updates on map progress

done all basics triggers, creep spawns, respawns, movement, upgrade, all init triggers and my custom scripts, hero revives, hero kill system, starting on MB next, its gon be small but useful in its own way I think

again, ideas are welcome

still needa terrainer, if ur interested in helping let me know

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
(speaking of oblivion, i used a low level "unlock" spell and targeted an unlocked door, put a weight on the casting key and let him fire away for 30 min. When i got back i had maxed that skill and got 6-7 levels :p)
same here lol...i even found a site that explains every possible solution to increase your skill with similar bugs :eek:

now back to topic:
and what is this whole bounty system u r talkign about, im sorta lost
i was thinking about making certain strong units/buildings/whatever you want give no bouty. instead make a trigger that would add gold on "takes damage" event for these units/buildings/whatever, possibly based on the damage you do and the level of the unit you attack.

another idea I jsut though of stems from Morrowind too, increase hero stats...how to do it?

possibly the more your run around the higher they get, or the more you do stuff, the hihher they get, etc., not sure of the specifics yet
i though about the same thing for my map...for example
Strength increases when you take damage;
Agility increases when you attack;
Intelligence increases when you cast.
or something similar at least...you get the idea.

emjlr3

Reaction score
i could give gold when a unit/tower dieas dependant upon how much damage you did to it total, or what % of its hp u took out, so how much you aided in killing it, not a bad idea

and good idea with the stats, again strengthing the whole "learning" aspect of the game, and not getting stronger and better because you kill a hero

keep em coming

emjlr3

Reaction score
hmm

major set back

lost everything I had done

spent half the day...at work...heh...re coding most of the trigger I Could remember

so now I just gotta re do unit editing and put in my triggers

prolly another 3 hours on another day and Ill be back to where I was

then I can continue...ill never make that mistake again ^^

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
emjlr3 said:
ill never make that mistake again ^^

You say that now. :p
-----
Cool idea to have spells at a point target.

But you need to do something about kill stealing, and make sure that ranged attackers dont have homing attacks, so they can also be evaded. Would also be cool if you can set it up so that if you run away from a melee attack, and out of range, before the damage point you escape the damage.

Anything.

Reaction score
Pineapple said:
But you need to do something about kill stealing, and make sure that ranged attackers dont have homing attacks, so they can also be evaded. Would also be cool if you can set it up so that if you run away from a melee attack, and out of range, before the damage point you escape the damage.
You can do that with basing the units off of Mortar Team or Demolisher, and etcetera, or just simply giving the unit "Attack Ground" with a VERY VERY small AoE. This also works for Melee units. Just make the AoE damage smaller than 50 (Melee range is 100 and you don't want the unit killing itself), and then when a unit moves, the attack should be dodged.

emjlr3

Reaction score
i duno about all that

i still gotta worry about re donig what I di done, beofre I go on with that

then i gotta worry about ability and stat upgraders, as well as making a few heroes, and getting the ngeral gamepaly down

hehe

emjlr3

Reaction score
yea, got back to where I was in the map development

and, I wrote the whole stat system

where, taking damage yields str
attacking yields agility
casting yields int

right now I have no idea how balanced it is at all

obviously, str heroes will gain str faster, agility heroes gain agility faster, and int heroes gain int faster, relatively speaking, as compared to the other classes rate

for ex.

int heroes:

gain 1 int every 2*amount of int added casts
gain 1 str every 25*amount of str added when damage is taken( I should really base this off the damage taken, just thought about this, and inc it based on amount od damage taken, so say to get 1 str u take 150 damage, then to get the next str u gotta take an additional 300, etc.)
gain 1 agil every 20*amount of agility attacks(capped at 1 attack every TriggerSleepAction(0) seconds ^^)

everything working good so far

still need a terrainer, where are all these damned map makers looking for something to do?

once i got it completely to my liking, I will prolly either try and make an item shop, or try and make a hero or two

ima prolly just use a tavern for the heroes, simple yet effective IMO

and ill add a random button on the tavern, so no commands are needed

as always, more ideas are needed

K

Karl-

emjlr3 said:
yea I was thiking about something with gems, or getting something when you kill heroes or something

and i dont see a point to having slow lvling, if lvling at all, cuz I want the game to be fast, not slow, creeping for 10 minutes to try and get another level, or another skill

any more elaboration on that whole stats increase abilities idea?

anyone else?

maybe do it when u kill so many creeps u get +1 to all stats, or to primary stat.

or maybe do it when u kill hero u get this. or something

or maybe an item of some sort, or a piece of lumber, and lumber and can get u special items

:)

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Sounds Intresting...

emjlr3

Reaction score
did u even read my last post??

that is nothing like what I said I was doing with the stats

though I probably will make stuff drop when a hero dies, maybe some sort of glyph or something, that when you click on it it increases your total ammount(so u dont have to hold it in an inventory)

not sure yet what they are going to do yet, maybe you use them to get the best items or something, or maybe you need 1 to even get an item, or something

*update

just finished coding the create hero and random hero triggers

think I may make a hero now, just to have something to play with

also gotta write the upgrade hero abilities codes too, still trying to figure out exactly how ima do it ^^

emjlr3

Reaction score
hmm

started a hero

wrote upgrade abilities trigger, finished upgrade stats trigger

still need ideas for hero kills

next is to finish the firsat hero and do the tower/creep upgrades/being an item tavern

any terrainers looking for a job?

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> any terrainers looking for a job?

Seems like this would be in every other post.
Do you have any trouble with that?

Then again, I don't recall much of a description for it... :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.